09 S VDB

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Broncoholic, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

hey all. I took a risk on a raw 09 S VDB. Would like to hear thoughts on it prior to sending off for grading. Thanks in advance! 09 s vdb 1.jpg 09 s vdb 2.jpg 09 s vdb 3.jpg 09 s vdb 4.jpg 09 s vdb 5.jpg 09 s vdb 6.jpg 09 s vdb 7.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's not real.

Insider, C-B-D and Beefer518 like this.
  6. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

I am absolutely no expert either but the B doesn't look right. Absolute shame if it is fake, what a beautiful coin.

Broncoholic likes this.
  7. Broncoholic

"learning" would require a tad bit more info than "It's not real." But thank you for taking the 3.2 seconds of your day to make us all smarter.

Brett_in_Sacto, Heater and Beefer518 like this.
  8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I just wonder at a couple things with this post:

1) The color is so different on all the photos that it's impossible to determine the true color of the actual coin.

2) None of the shots are head-on, level (or rotated properly) shots, making us do mental gymnastics just to compare to the already existing diagnostic images.

3) No in-focus full coin images were provided.

So, why? I'm just curious.

Broncoholic and Amos 811 like this.
  9. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

What is this damaged area I see on the reverse ?

1909-S_VDB_Lincoln Reverse Damage.JPG

Broncoholic likes this.
  10. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

Those links provide good learning information. The VDB is usually pretty unique to the originals and in this case the central crossbar of the B looks too broad and horizontal to be original :/ again I have 99 percent of my knowledge from reading not from actual coins

Broncoholic likes this.
  11. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

img-coin14.jpg

Got this from PCGS.com sorry doesn't look real, I hope you can return it.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Broncoholic likes this.
  12. Broncoholic

I was using a Dino-Lite digital microscope without a stand, so I was trying to get the right focus on the date and mint mark. The color is different because I was trying to provide different lighting sources (microscope light on and off, plain halogen, etc.) The Dino-Lite works fantastic for "zoomed in" images, but it rotates in your hand. I really need a stand.

Youngcoin likes this.
  13. Broncoholic

wow! good catch. I never saw that and I don't know! thanks for pointing it out!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Saw the dimple too, Bob, and thought it must have been 'photog fatigue'........:)

Broncoholic likes this.
  15. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

The more I stare at it I see more spots. Could it be a casting fake ?

1909-S_VDB_Lincoln Reverse Damage_Casting.JPG

Broncoholic and furryfrog02 like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

What else was there to say. If you don't want opinions, don't ask. You know where you can shove your attitude.

17. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I have never seen one that looks like that..

18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I am also suspicious on account of the mintmark’s serifs not being parallel to each other.

BadThad and Broncoholic like this.
  19. Broncoholic

Now you take the full 30 seconds of your precious time to tell me where where I can shove it? You can just not respond to my posts and save us all the time it takes to read your lack of intellectual reposes and go back to your ever pitiful existence. Thanks for nothing man!

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I gave you a reply and told you that you bought a fake. You got pissed and came back at me with trash. Now you come back with more trash. Check your attitude at the door. There was no need for your insulting remarks.

Santinidollar and C-B-D like this.
  21. Broncoholic

I post on here for the experience of learning more about coins than anywhere else on the internet and I enjoy reading what everyone sees that I may have missed. But inevitably, there is someone like you that feels the need to flex your keyboard muscles, act like edited and add absolutely nothing to the conversation. Even someone with zero experience can offer "it's not real" and know that they've not helped at all. Then you go further and tell me to "shove it". And now you're backpedaling and telling me that I don't need to have an attitude?!?! Get real. Thank you for your less than educational responses, move along... nothing more to see here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted