'09 S vdb

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Sep 30, 2017.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel that date/mm placement on coin #2 is suspicious?

09 s2.jpg a 09.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

IMG_4341.JPG
    This picture has been posted before on this site from time to time. It kind of looks like #1 to me. Can you post a picture of the reverse?

4. fish4uinmd

Coin #1 is a PCGS slab...coin 2 is a raw coin...the S looks too high and left for me.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Whoops, just noticed that my original statement was a bit ambiguous. I meant to say that the second coin looks like mintmark position #1 (upper left in the picture I posted).

fish4uinmd likes this.
  6. fish4uinmd

OK, you are saying that coin #2 is an example of Genuine obverse #1...?

7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I don't want to call it 100% genuine without a picture of the reverse (and since I'm not an expert with this series by any means), but the fact that it matches one of the known mintmark positions is a good start.

8. fish4uinmd

Dynoking likes this.
  9. fish4uinmd

10. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I think this is a counterfeit coin. Notice the placement of the S is too high. The VDB is not correct notice the angle of the B. the middle bar in B should be at a downward angle not straight.

eddiespin likes this.
  11. fish4uinmd

I'm just not sure...the coin is up for bid...I give it a grade of vf25...push to 30?? but the "B" on the VDB is not clear and that is an important diagnostic. It's at $680 right now...what do others feel on the grade?

12. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

The V on the VDB is also an important Diagnostic. The best can be done on this coin is save your money and buy one you know is correct, not one with bad or questionable diagnostics. Regardless of the grade you think it may be. :)

chascat, dwhiz and fish4uinmd like this.
  13. fish4uinmd

went for $680.

14. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

The PCGS Coin (Coin1) is Obverse #3. The auction coin (Coin 2) if real is Obverse #1. Therefore the placement of the mint mark when comparing both coins wouldn't match.

Following is a CAD Tracing depicting the mint mark placement of all four obverses recognized by the grading services. Following that is this tracing overlaid onto the two coins provided in this post.
    CAD VDBs Stacked.JPG VDB Coin 1.JPG VDB Coin 2.JPG

NSP likes this.
  15. So based on the CAD drawing - the date/mintmark is a perfect match for die #1 while based on the old newspaper article the angle of auction coin mintmark is leaning to far to the right implying a glued on mintmark?

16. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

No

Following is the same CAD overlay onto the four 1909-S VDB obverses recognized by the grading services. Then following are overlays onto the four obverses depicted in the newspaper article posted by NSP in post #2 above. I have labeled this resource as Unknown Origin but it is my understanding this was published by the ANA back in the early 1980's as part of a counterfeit detection resource. This I am not certain.

Keep in mind the images provided in the alleged
    ANA resource are low resolution and contain significant shadowing artifacts. Also they are slightly skewed. The skewing can be seen by looking at the red square I drew around the frame edges of the ANA images.

Anyway with the above qualifying statements provided above - I am of the opinion the ANA resource only shows three of the four 1909-S VDB obverses recognized by the grading services. None of the coins provided in the ANA resource appear to match OBV-2 recognized by the grading services. Both OBV-2 and OBV-3 from the ANA resource indicate mint mark position of Obverse #3 as recognized by the grading services with ANA OBV-2 appearing to be the best match for OBV-3. Due to the low quality of the ANA images - I can't determine whether the coin shown as ANA OBV-2 is the same or different from the coin shown as ANA OBV-3.

Look at it and give your own opinion.
    NGC OBV1.JPG NGC OBV2.JPG NGC OBV3.JPG NGC OBV4.JPG Unknown Obv1.JPG Unknown OBV2.JPG Unknown Obv3.JPG Unknown Obv4.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted