↑ This Side Up ↑

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mlov43, Apr 8, 2017.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Aren't there orientation directions ("This side up") for the people who "sonically seal" a customer's coin in NGC's graded holders?

I've seen this before for other World Coins. I would think that this is a problem for NGC, right? I mean, the presentation of the coin in the holder is affected when the face of the coin appears upside down on the side where the information tag is visible.

Even for those who don't understand the orientation of the Korean alphabet, I wouldn't expect that the "slabber dude" would think that the numeral, "50" should go upside down!

Does this bother anybody else?

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 10.25.46 AM.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

That one would drive me nuts. Can you send it back to get reholdered? Or, better yet, take it to a show and let them eat the shipping costs instead? It's annoying enough when a reverse is shown forward, but upside down...ugh!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Minimum wage associates doing the sealing and don't know any better?

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Perhaps they did not realize that number are printed the same way in Korea as in the west.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

That's why the graders, or whoever else knows better/is paid better, should attach to the coin flip a sticker that says, "This side up", before it gets to the sealing department.

tommyc03 and Stork like this.
  7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Geez I wonder if that actually rattled all the way down to it's current orientation!

8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

That is another possibility that didn't come to mind right away.
    In my own limited experience with the plastic cores of NGC edge-view holders, they seem to be pretty "grippy" and you'd have to whack the holder quite hard to get the coin to shift. But they can shift! Perhaps the core was a hair smaller than 35mm?

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Frankly I don't read Hangul, but I do know enough about that, Kanji and Mandarin to know the orientation of the characters.

I like the colourisation of the coin, reminds me of the cloisonne coins from Korea in the late 19th century.

10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

That's exactly what the designers of the coin were aiming for! They wanted it to look like an 1882 "Dae Dong Eun Jeon" coin.

scottishmoney likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted