“Time Machine” — the unique date converter for world coin collectors.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by inscriptor, Oct 31, 2010.

1. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Hi, everyone!

Today, on 6/6/2011, Steve Jobs from Apple have announced the iOS5 and Mac OS X Lion. I also have something great to share with you today.

I'm pleased to report that the Chinese cyclical chronological system has just been released! Here it is: http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/en/index.php?go=china.php.

It doesn't have converters, unlike the other 20 chronological systems. It is a multi-functional table. Finding a year of the Gregorian calendar is very simple: just type it into the quick search field, and the year becomes highlighted instantly.

When you are moving the mouse pointer over the cells, the cells with appropriate Chinese characters are highlighted, so it's easy to find the necessary hieroglyphs.

The next feature is showing the examples of those characters as they've been specified on the real coins (the characters in typeface and characters on coins might look a little bit different). This feature is available for the following Gregorian years: 1898, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907 and 1909. As you click, the picture with text description appears in the center of the screen, 'accompanied' by a dark background. To get back to the table, just click on the picture or on the background.

And of course there's some text description in the right side of the screen with necessary explanations.

Check this out :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

brilliant identification tool, it will certainly be well used by me in the future.

4. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Excellent website!! A great contribution to the collectors community :thumb:

5. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Thank you, guys, for your appreciation! What's been done is definitely not the end of the work, so check back soon.

6. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Minor updates in Hebrew converters

I'm convinced that the less mistakes users can make while using a software, the happier they are and the better that software is.

Many users have been asking me to simplify the direct conversion for Israel. It was necessary to put addition sign (thousands separation sign, TSS) before entering the last '5', standing for 5000. That was especially important for coins minted after 1981, because since this year the whole date was specified on Hebrew coins (before that 5000 used to be omitted).

So now it is no longer necessary to put this thousand separation sign, you can just enter the numerals as you see them on your coin. Though, the warning picture will be there for a while, just to ensure users against any risks. Sure thing, if you do enter the TSS, the year will still be calculated correctly.

You can check it on http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/en/index.php?go=israel.php

7. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Hey everyone!

Time is going and things are changing... I'm pleased to report that Creounity Time Machine is also changing for the best. We've recently introduced the new engine for it, which is actually an improved version of the previous one. In its core is the new language switching script that seamlessly shows you the same article available in another language, i.e. from Russian lng to English lng.

The English converters and descriptive parts haven't yet been transferred into the new engine, but they're still available via the old English version link (http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/en/).

The link to a new English version is as follows: http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/index.php?go=main.htm&lang=en
    As you see, such stuff like site header, the left-side menu, the main page are already available in English. What is really great in the new version, is that all systems with converters now have scrollers with coin pics! That's been the greatest new feature introduction for the passed year!

Description for the pics in scrollers are also available in English. For example, let's take a look at the coins dated in lunar hejira: http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/index.php?go=arab.php&lang=en
    Open this link and select the first tab from the right, called Images of coins. Navigating is as easy as clicking on the coin (it takes you forward), or as using the common navigation controls (Previous and Next).

If any of you wants a coin from his collection to be added to the scrollers of the Creounity Time Machine, please post a high-res pic of that coin in this forum thread, and if it passes my moderation I'll add it. The name or nickname of the user who provides the picture will be specified in the description of the image, and right after that people throughout not less than 124 countries of the world will see you pic.

Stay tuned!

8. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Just last night I've released the new version of the Creounity Time Machine.

First of all, the full link to the new version in English is http://apps.creounity.com/time_machine/index.php?go=main.htm&lang=en, the short one (good to share with friends) is http://creounity.com/tmconv. If you try to go through any of old links, you'll be automatically redirected to the new vresion (to the appropriate page of this or that system in the new version).

The next major update is Pictures. I'm talking about the new tab in almost all systems called "Images of coins". So it is now possible to watch both at the converter and scroll through the images at the same time. I hope you'll like this new feature.

Now, wherever you are, you can switch between the languages on the fly. Select another language (available in the menu) to see how current page looks in that language.

Check out all of the new features. They're really great!

9. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Andrei, my hat is off to you! This is splendid work, the pictures feature to help identify coins of different countries (especially those with strange alphabets) is excellent! It will be one of my regular references when consulting foreign coins.

Congratulations!

10. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Hey again,

I've got a couple of updates to share with you regarding Creounity Time Machine.

First of all, project's address structure has recently been altered a little bit. Lots of guys've been asking me what does 'apps' in the beginning mean (evidently, 'apps' is a shortcut for 'applications'), therefore I've moved 'apps' to the right from the domain name. So now, Time Machine's main page is available via http://creounity.com/apps/time_machine/index.php?go=main.htm&lang=en. All the other links had been altered in the same way. If any of you have my site in your browser's bookmarks (I hope there are some:yes:), please edit your links correspondingly.

Then, in the system of Iran the new section called «Examples of Iranian coin values written with phrases in Farsi instead of numbers» had been added. It is helpful for understanding denominations on the coins of Iran. This table provides crops of the coins' pictures, description written in Farsi, and, of course, translation in English.

And finally, I want to ask you if there's anything else that could be added to the Time Machine? Some sort of reference information that might as well be of use for coin collectors, apart from numerals and dates. If it does exist, I'll be glad to add appropriate functionality to the site.

Thank you in advance for your feedback :)

11. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Hey everyone!

Just a little update. I've released a Julian calendar converter, which turned out to be the 25-th among all others available in the Creounity Time Machine.

You can convert Julian date to Gregorian and backwards, calculate dates since the founding of Rome, and identify Julian day for a given date.

Try it out!

silentnviolent and chrisild like this.
  12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Hey thanks Andrei. Handy gadget fer sure. :)

13. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

There was a huge problem that I was unable to solve for about 3 years: I didn't understand why date 715 (5715) (1955 ad) in Israel was written as 400 + 300 + 9 + 6 instead of 400 + 300 + 10 + 5 (beneath is the Hebrew coin 100 prut(prutot), dated 715):

[​IMG]

Yesterday I finally understood this. 10 and 5 is written as «י"ה» what sounds like youd-hey, what is supposed to be a half of God's own (personal) name, Yahweh, in Hebrew it goes likeיהוה.

The rule in religion teaches us not to say the name of the Lord in vain. So exactly this is the reason why Hebrew people prefer to write and say 15 as "9 + 6" instead of "10 + 5".

So now, if you enter 1955 in the Reverse convertion mode of the Creounity Time Machine for Israel, you'll see that the result ends on 9&6, not 10&5.

If any Hebrew user reads this, I'm sorry to implement that only now, since I didn't know the solution all that time.

Hope you'll find this interesting :)

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That is interesting to know indeed. :) Keep up the great work! Funny, I just recommended your Time Machine for Israel in another forum, and the one for Chinese dates here in Coin Talk. Very useful, also because of the extra info you provide ...

Christian

15. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Thank you for your support, chrisild!

16. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

In November 2013 owing to the help of a person from Great Britain, Timothy Rowland Davies, I've updated the grammar of the Creounity Time Machine (http://creounity.com/apps/time_machine/index.php?go=&lang=en). I mean, not only on the homepage, but on all the other pages as well.

So now I hope that coin collectors from English-speaking countries like the United States, Great Britain, Australia etc will now find the texts easier to read and understand :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    chrisild likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, since English is not my primary language, I am quite tolerant when it comes to translations that are not perfect. :) English natives may be a little more sensitive though.

But now that you have brought it up ... right at the top of the English version it says "Today it's Sunday, March 2, 2014". I'm not sure, but I would have written "Today is Sunday, etc." Any English teachers here?

Christian

18. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Thank you, chrisild. I've just corrected this.

19. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Awesome site, very useful and works really well. Four thumbs up

20. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Inscriptor, thank you for developing such a useful website! Coin collecting always needs people like you.

Keep up the good work!:)

21. inscriptor

inscriptor Junior Member

Hey everyone again!

Just finished working on a small research. Since I am from Russia, I decided to find out if there had been coins in Russian Empire with special countable items, that made it easier for illiterate people to recognize and distinguish between coin denominations. So here's the result: http://creounity.com/apps/time_machine/index.php?go=countable_items.php&lang=en

It turned out that there were three types of such countable items (mostly dots), and they had been minted for almost a century: from 1713 to 1810.

What about old coins from your native countries? Did they have dots, stars, lines or whatever countable for the purpose of recognizing coin's face value?

I'd love to see some pics of them, if you please ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted