“The Detectorists” BBC Series

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Fugio1, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend this television show for all of my collecting friends. It is a BBC comedy/drama that is extremely well written and unique for its light hearted treatment of hobbyists and how their loved ones deal with their passion. It is not a numismatic theme per-se, but contains quite a lot of relevant numismatic content and dialog that helps me identify with the story.

The local metal detector’s club in the story reminds me of a typical (small) local coin club, with similarly quirky characters drawn together by their common interest.

We watched the first two seasons via Amazon Prime and just finished season 3 on Acorn TV. If you subscribe to these, or any other venue that offers it, give it a try. It is a real hoot and quite profound at the same time.

galba68, BenSi, Ed Snible and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have seen some clips - looks like a good laugh. Free episodes on YouTube.
    Here's a quick sample - very good!

octavius, YoloBagels, galba68 and 7 others like this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Simon and Garfunkel :D

Alegandron and CoinCorgi like this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

If, I still lived in Germany, I would invest in a "metal detector". Julich my home town was a important medieval city, part of the Herzogtum of Julich-Cleve-Berg. Also there had been Roman outposts there. Probably could be lucky to find someting. Seems India is the hotbed for finding treasures/ hoards of gold coinage, esp. Gupta era material.

galba68 likes this.
  6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Is it on Netflix?

7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Jay GT4, You've seen it!

galba68 and Jay GT4 like this.
  8. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Sadly, No. When I search in Netflix, it comes up with "Titles related to...".

9. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I saw the first two Seasons on Amazon Prime, I recommend it too.

I have not seen season three yet but good to know its on Acorn. I will check that season out.

10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I started watching it (a few episodes so far) last night based on your recommendation. It is pretty good. I'll keep watching!

Fugio1 likes this.
  11. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

To put this thread to rest, I just want to say that season 3 was the best of all. Really happy endings.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I just tried watching the first two episodes of season 1. I don't think I will be watching episode 3.

13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

YES! It was on Netflix in Canada.

panzerman likes this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Good to know, I have never been on Netflix, but my wife is always on it. I will get her to find it for me...

15. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

It’s no longer available on Netflix but has now moved to Hulu. I’ve got both so it doesn’t bother me!

16. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I get the program on my Acorn TV account which only costs $4.99 a month. There are many other British programs available on Acorn, so it wasn't just for this show that I subscribed. If you like British dry humor, you may like this show. I think people either like it or really don't like it, but I find the lack of laugh tracks and jokes you either get or you don't to be refreshing. After a while you start to get in synch with the characters as they search for that buried Celtic or Saxon gold but end up finding can pulls. The music and photography are also great.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted