“Simply Pass”

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinzip, Jul 27, 2015.

1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I was reading the latest edition of NCNA Journal and really liked this article. I'm sure we all know someone that needs to learn to “Simply Pass.”

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

It's called having class back East.....

Endeavor and coinzip like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A lot of folks would think that many folks back east.....northeast.......NY metro, lack a certain bit of 'class', but what Allan has illustrated in this article has outlined my modus operandi. :) Then again, I'm an amiable sort, not a classy one.....:)

treylxapi47 and coinzip like this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

And down south.

derkerlegand, coinzip and treylxapi47 like this.
  6. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

The article is written from a buyer perspective but I think it could easily be switched around and hold true for a dealer. Many times dealers have a hard time just saying "No thank you".

coinzip and derkerlegand like this.
  7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I follow this more or less to the letter. My other main rule is that I'd rather pay a fair price for an excellent coin than an excellent price for a fair coin.

green18, miedbe7 and coinzip like this.
  8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It's just about respect, we all grade coins according to how we see them with our own eyes and as a reflection of what we would give for it, the difference is that most would have the respect to not publicly call out flaws.

I'd like to think that all dealers are honest, and the fact is that I've really had a good go of it, but it is simply more respectable to pass than try to call out a dealer who has paid for their place at the show. I wouldn't find it unreasonable to point out a glaring flaw for the purpose of negotiation though, we are all just trying to improve our collections the best we can after all.

coinzip likes this.
  9. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

There's another way to "pass," and I'm using it more and more. I have a LOT of stuff on CraigsList, and when I get a lowball offer or an insulting comment, I don't reply at all (and the perp doesn't get my email address). I sell about $20 a week, and considering it's totally free, and the buyer comes to me, that's adequate.

Someday all that c--p will be gone. :rolleyes:

coinzip likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted