“S” Mint War Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by man2004, Mar 17, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Do “S” mint War nickels have more value in all grades (circ and BU)? I remember my dad telling me to pluck out the “S” mints when I was a kid. I don’t know if he was keeping them for sets or if they brought more money. It looks like they bring a little more money for BU rolls on APMEX. Lately, I’ve been plucking them out of my own war nickel purchases - old habits never die!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

Varies from date- but not a huge amount:
    One date P is worth more, on date D is worth more, than one date S is worth more, and so on (not actual order)

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Absolutely BULL ! You sir know nothing of which you speak! And enough is enough....you're no expert! Your a parasite on members here posting post after post little to do about nothing! Maybe those books you speak of you should read....and conprehend what is written in them!
    Maybe you should research before you post your next post....?.
    I've been collecting over 55 years still don't know it all ....no expert before or after my name.....but one thing I am quite sure of.....you don't know "JACK" !

Unbelievable...... I'm quite sure you have quite a fondness for shoe leather?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Coin-Dude likes this.
  5. Paddy54

The war issue nickels just about each one no matter the date or mint mark are a variety of sorts, RPD, RPM, ddo, ddr's.
    So depending on which one the values can be all over the place.43/42 43 double eye, in fact the 43 Jefferson nickel has like 60 + RPM's alone.
    Your best bet is to research each date and mm. Varietyvista.com will be a good sorce. Good luck... and there's a wealth of knowledge to be found here.....on CT as well as those who know Nada!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Coin-Dude likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok guys, there is no need for this. I understand what both of you are talking about, but not quite sure if it is a continuation of something previous or not, but no need.

In circulated condition, there is not much difference between PDS commons ( not varieties ) as most are valued for the silver content. Varieties of each year must be valued separately based on their rarity. If you are just tossing them into jars without carefully looking, I would value them just at silver value. Jim

7. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Thank you for the information. I’ll probably just add them to War Nickel bin with the other mint marks. I also remember seeing an ad a couple months ago on another forum “WTB S mint War nickels”. Probably another misinformed collector!

8. Paddy54

Always look at 2 things condition and mintages,Yesterday at a coin show I had offered to me 2 complete sets of unc. War nickels at $65 @ set.
    The mint marks do come i to play on some series depending on your location.
    In the 50 and 60 before jet travel became common amoung everyday people yes S mint marks on the East coast were hard to find. Mostly obtained by mail order or coin shops.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1943-D is the lowest minted at 15 million.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted