“penny errors RARE” How was this made at the mint?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Collect89, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

While browsing error coins on Ebay & stumbled onto this “penny errors RARE” being offered for only $99.99. You all probably see dozens of listings like this one but I’ll post it here anyway. A half dozen people have already purchased coins from this seller and they have all left good feedback. Anyone care to speculate how this “penny errors RARE” came about at the mint? :rollling: Here is the link:

“penny errors RARE”
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/penny-errors-RARE-/280831479824?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4162dc5010

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I gotta say he ruined them with a pair of plyers. Though that one in specific looks to be an OMM. He just ruined it if it is.

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

PMD squeeze job.....sad if people actually bought these as "errors". Just another ebay scammer!

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

It's hard to take anyone with a feedback score of 11 seriously. He hasn't sold anything over $50 yet, so this ought to be interesting if he does indeed sells it.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Is that Rascal selling those?

7. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I think you meant RPM but that isn't possible either since by 1990 the mintmark was included in the master hub. What you are seeing there is the start of zinc rot.

8. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

on the reverse you can see an indent (indicating squeezing force) where the LIBERTY stamp would be on the other side of the coin

9. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

The "incuse" nature of Liberty further reinforces the fact that the seller is not a very good tattle taler.

10. noob76

noob76 Member

yep. plyer used to squeeze the liberty into the face of the coin. mystery solved.

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I hardly think so.

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Must be some special pliers since it takes a tremendous amount of force to do this.

Perhaps ratchet locking pliers which apply force with each squeeze?

Draft saved Draft deleted