“Get to the “Point”, Spears in the ancient world... on coins!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Elagabalus (with furrowed brow), MARS VICTOR (with sharp spear and amazing calves) B4420187-5FD7-4F27-8208-C6F78397FA8B.jpeg 1E4AAB38-01A4-4B87-B075-1C44B9033CFE.jpeg

Salaethus, Bing, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Early Spears:

upload_2020-3-7_13-28-21.png
    Makedon Perdikkos II 454-413 BC AR heavy tetrobol 2-4g 15mm 12h Makedon mint 437-431 BC horseman holding two spears prancing Raymond 184ff SNG ANS 47ff

upload_2020-3-7_13-29-41.png
    Sicily Kamarina AR litra 11mm 0.56g 461-440 BCE Nike flying swan below within wreath Athena spear shield SNG ANS 1212-6

Salaethus, Bing, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here are a slew of spears.... IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_0799.JPG lf (2).jpg lf (3).jpg ffb6bff87c18776267b70c320089bd2f.jpg 00bfdb9c101313c12221e08d4d40534d.jpg

5. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

Two coins of Crispus , son of Constantine , with military busts carrying a spear 58C3E784-D5E5-411C-9E81-75BBF9E81002.jpeg

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins @panzerman - is that Constans II in there? If so a lot better design than his folles. They must have had different pay grades for the celators.

panzerman likes this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I have a number of coins showing spears (sometimes just as control-symbols). But first I'll post a couple of photos of one of my Attic black-figure lekythoi, dating to approximately 525-500 BCE, belonging to the Little Lion Class, with two hounds on the shoulder and showing four warriors fighting with spears. (I've previously posted some group pictures showing this black-figure lekythos together with two others I own. I purchased this one from Royal Athena in March 1986. It's about 4" tall.)

Attic Black-Figure Lekythos, purchased from Royal Athena March 1986.jpg

Attic Black-Figure Lekythos (Royal Athena) 4 Warrior Fighting - 2.jpg

Now for some coins with spears.

1. Corinth AR Stater. Circa 375-345 BC. Obv: Pegasos flying left, Q below / Rev: Helmeted head of Athena left; control-symbols behind head: N and Ares standing left holding shield and spear. Pegasi 376; Ravel 1056; BCD Corinth 121; SNG Copenhagen 121. 21mm, 8.46 g., 6h. gVF/VF, Ex Roma Numismatics 9.

Corinth AR Stater jpg version.jpg

2. Roman Republic, L. Procilius L.f., AR Denarius, 80 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Jupiter R., S C behind/ Rev. Juno Sospita advancing R., holding shield in left hand and hurling spear with right hand; snake before; behind, L. PROCILI/F downwards. RSC I Procilia 1 (ill.), Crawford 379/1, Sydenham 771, Sear RCV I 306 (ill.). 19.5 mm., 3.6 g.

L. Procili Jupiter Obverse.jpg
    L. Procili Juno Sospita reverse.jpg

3. Roman Republic, C. Postumius, AR Denarius, Rome 74 BCE. Obv. Bust of Diana R. w/ bow and quiver/ Rev. Hound running R., hunting spear below, “C POSTUMI TA” in exergue. RSC I Postumia 9, Crawford 394/1, Sear RCV I 330. 18 mm., 3.83 g.

Postumius (Diana and hound).jpg

4. Roman Republic, C. Hosidius C.f. Geta, AR Denarius, 68 BCE. Obv. Diademed and draped bust of Diana R., bow and quiver over shoulder, GETA before, III VIR behind/ Rev. Wild boar of Calydon r., pierced in shoulder by spear and attacked by hound beneath, C. HOSIDI C F in exergue. RSC I Hosidia 1 (ill.), Crawford 407/2, Sydenham 903, Sear RCV I 346 (ill.). 18 mm., 3.91 g.

Hosidia O2.jpg
    Hosidia R1.jpg

5. Caracalla AR Denarius 210 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head of Caracalla right, ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT/ Rev. Virtus, helmeted, draped, standing right, left foot on helmet, holding spear in right hand and parazonium in left hand, PONTIF TR P XIII COS III. (Thirteenth anniversary as ordained heir.) RIC IV-1 117B, RSC III 478. 19 mm., 3.01 g.

Caracalla - adult.jpg

6. Gordian III AR Denarius, 240 AD [TRP III]. Obv. Laureate head right, IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG / Rev. Gordian on horseback left, holding spear & raising hand, PM TR P III COS PP. RIC IV-3 81, RSC IV 234 (ill. p. 7 & on book jacket). 18 mm., 3.59 g.

Gordian III Denarius - jpg version.jpg

I'm leaving out my Probus coins with spears, because I posted images of them fairly recently.

8. DonnaML

And one more:

7. Julian II, AE Centenionalis, 361-63 AD, Sirmium Mint, 2nd Officina. Obv. Pearl-diademed, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, spear in right hand, shield in left, D N FL CL IVLIANVS P F AVG / Rev. VOT/X/MVLT/XX in four lines within wreath. In exergue: BSIRM. RIC VIII Sirmium 108, Cohen VIII 151, Sear RCV V 19172. 20.3 mm, 3.393 g.

Forum Ancient Coins, Julian II coin, large photo.jpg

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ruler: Septimius Severus (Augustus)
    Coin: AR Denarius
    SEVERVS PIVS AVG - Laureate head right.
    PM TRP XVI COS III PP - Concordia seated left holding patera and spear.
    Mint: Rome (208 AD)
    Wt./Size: 2.80g / 20mm
    References:
    • RIC 218
    • RCV 6344

Bing, Tony1982, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  10. panzerman

Thank you!
    The Solidus is from Constantine IV/ one of his (Constans III) sons:happy: This one came from unknown Western Mint city.

Tony1982 and Ryro like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I did look at the coin again and saw that the legend is closer to Constantine, but still blundered a bit.

panzerman likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wonderful coins and lekythoi, @DonnaML ! Very nice.

DonnaML likes this.
  13. panzerman

You are right, most Solidi/ gold coins from Constantine IV have bad legends/ poorly struck/ esp. the ones from Syracuse/ Carthage Mints. Mint quality improved under Justinian II.

14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Where does one acquire an intact archaic Attic black-figure? Led alone, “one of my Attic black-figure“??
    I keep a shard with my proto money and Ushabtis:
    E7522758-F98A-47D6-8800-CBB32DB5C990.jpeg

But your display, much like the exquisite piece you shared, blows mine away!
    Mesmerizing Corinthian Stater btw.
    Edit: scratch that. I see you posted, “Royal Athena in March 1986”. Good Provenance.

DonnaML and Johndakerftw like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This certainly shows the weapon in the boar. Is there an ancient coin that shows a spear actually inside a human victim? Some of the falling horsemen are close but most are just 'impending'. This one from Rome struck me as unusual due to the shape of the spearhead. V shape is much more common than this leaf shape blade.
    rx6417bb2888.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  16. DonnaML

Thank you! Royal Athena Galleries is still around, and still has an active website. In fact, Jerome Eisenberg, who founded the company in 1942 (he originally dealt only in coins), is still alive and somewhat active the last I heard. (See his C.V. at http://www.royalathena.com/PAGES/intropages/introduction.html.) I also highly recommend Hixenbaugh Ancient Art (http://www.hixenbaugh.net/), where I have bought a number of antiquities as well over the years, including my two other (intact!) Attic black-figure lekythoi. See the photos I posted at https://www.cointalk.com/threads/an...ts-thread-post-em.307997/page-17#post-4039891. One of these days, I'll post photos of some of my own ushabtis and other Egyptian antiquities. As I've mentioned, I've been collecting antiquities on a sporadic basis (when I have the money!)* since about 1981 -- long before I switched from a focus on British coins and historical medals and began actively collecting ancient coins.

Both places (especially Royal Athena) are generally more expensive than some of the other antiquities sellers you might find on the Internet, but you don't have to worry that you're buying a fake. In addition, you'll find that a number of the well-known German coin dealers (for example, Gorny & Mosch and Gerhard Hirsch) also deal in antiquities, and have occasional antiquities auctions.

* Just so I don't give the wrong impression, I am hardly a high-flying antiquities collector -- one of those people who don't hesitate to drop $100K or more on a single piece! In almost 40 years, the most I've ever spent on a single antiquity is about $2,500. And I've spent that much only a small handful of times.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    panzerman, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted