“Details” Grade Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Agreed whole heartedly. I am not in this hobby personally for the glory of the top grade examples. I am in it entirely for the love of the history in my coins. So when I grabbed the damaged slabbed seated half above for twenty-five bucks, it suited me just fine. I certainly didn’t drop the cash to have it slabbed..... It floors me to see all manner of low value coinage slabbed. I have to wonder what folks were thinking when they went to that expense.... In fifty years of collecting I have gone to the expense of slabbing five coins. And that was only so my family could easily liquidate them once I leave this party.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Authentication. "Damaged" does not mean "valueless", at least to a significant subset of collectors, and a damaged rare coin is more valuable than a fake rare coin.

4. JayF

JayF Active Member

But the coins are just slabbed, not graded. Does the plastic casing prove it’s authentic? Again, how do they determine which damaged coins are worth the slab? I don't think their rules states that only "rare" damaged coins can be slabbed.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yes. They won't slab coins that aren't authentic. In the rare cases where they themselves are fooled, they back up their position with a guarantee that compensates the buyer who detects the fake.

That's right. The grading companies are perfectly happy to take their fees and slab coins, even if the coin is worth less than the slabbing fee.

baseball21 likes this.
  6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

One positive side to slabbing details, or problem coins, is if they are kept in their slab and offered for resale, the buyer will be fully aware of what they are buying. An unslabbed problem coin can be offered and described as problem free, and there are many buyers that will believe the seller.

PlanoSteve and baseball21 like this.
  7. JayF

JayF Active Member

If someone has the intention to sell a damaged coin as problem free, they won't get it slabbed and just sell it on eBay, or etsy or ecrater, etc. If a newbie gets their coin back in a slab stating it's damaged, they would most likely rip that casing off if they want to con someone into buying their coin. I don't think slabbing a damaged coin prevents it from being sold. I personally don't want to see my coin in a slab that says it's damaged, I'd rather they tell me in a "body bag" and give my money back.

I think it's time that an overwatch group is created, pick 20 of the TOP numismatists in the country/world and make them the authority on what should be graded and not. It will probably help in minimizing all the ever growing minute DDOs/DDRs/varieties that requires a microscope to find. Otherwise, TPGs can pretty much make up anything, eventually they can create a grading system for the ugliest coin in the world, or the most damaged coin in existence. People go to TPGs because there are no other way. That's my rant for the day lol. Apologies to @Randy Abercrombie, didn't mean to hijack your thread with my questions.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Not at all. Fifty years of collecting and this whole religion that exists around the TPG’s is still a bit of smoke and mirrors to me. I appreciate the input.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They sell them at coin shows and in coin shops as raw coins. Plenty of them break out problem coins to sell that way.

You don’t get your money back because you can’t grade. There is an option where they don’t encapsulate details coins but you’re still going to pay because they took the time to grade it

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Two reasons: back when they changed their policy (2007) they needed the business, and agreeing to slab problem coins was one way of getting it. Second reason, because some people wanted them too.

In today's world they have different rules, there are only a few they will not put in slabs. You can look it up on their website to verify but going by memory I'm thinking it is 83, 86, 90, 96 and 99.

If you submit a coin to them you pay their fee no matter what, it's always been that way. Some folks never liked that practice, that's why they wanted their problem coins slabbed anyway. So the TPGs gave them what they wanted.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My first thought after reading this paragraph is no, no, no, no. In my mind, there are so many reasons not to do it.

There have always been criminals and there will always be criminals. No matter what laws, oversights, etc. you put into place, you can't safe guard/insulate people from unscrupulous people. Never going to happen.

The only way to protect yourself in this hobby is to educate yourself. I would say this is also true for life in general, but I digress.

You also can't protect people from themselves. Go read the "what's it worth" threads. There are so many people that only are concerned with getting rich. You cannot protect them. They're looking to "strike gold". They take no time to learn, they just want to flip some supposed rare find and collect their supposed riches. There "blinded" and easily swayed.

Once a business loses their customers trust, it's over. The top TPG's are very aware of this and while you might not like the fact they holder problem coins or market labels/signatures on bullion coins, in general, they provide a valuable service to the hobby.

Why do you want to create a "star chamber" of experts who get to decide "all"? This can only lead to corruption. Plus, who's going to pay them? Once they have the power, than what will you have to pay to get their blessing?

Free markets even the playing field. I have many more thoughts on this, but I don't want to write more of a novel than I already have so far.

12. baseball21

I can think of at least one series where one of the "star experts" has on more than one occasion publicly trashed a coin they were actively bidding on to try and suppress the price.

markr and JPeace$ like this.
  13. GDJMSP

In effect, isn't that pretty much what was done once people decided to put their trust in the TPGs ?

They make up their own rules and decide what is and what is not. And waaaaaaaay too many people blindly accept whatever they say.

JayF and jafo50 like this.
  14. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Is that what CAC does?

15. JayF

JayF Active Member

The difference is TPGs priority is making money for their business. Numismatists at least care about the coins itself, and they most likely know more about the coins than graders. TPGs care about the looks, not the history of it. I think...in my opinion at least.

Their grading scales are based on their own opinion, not a collaboration of coin experts. Do they even review their grading rules to keep up with the changes to the coins?

16. JayF

JayF Active Member

That's pretty evident here, it's like TPGs are coin gods.

17. GDJMSP

Make no mistake Jay, the folks who work for the TPGs are extremely knowledgeable. As a general rule they know far more about coins than the vast majority of collectors.

The problem with the TPGs is that they all have an agenda, a purpose for doing what they do - making money ! They are not in business to help the hobby or you or anybody else. So they will do whatever they need to do to benefit their company the most. And if that means loosening grading standards then they loosen them. If that means grading coins that are ungradeable then they grade them. If that means using some fancy name for something then they use it. Etc etc etc.

18. JayF

JayF Active Member

I'm sure there are but I doubt that every one is. I think when it comes to coin expertise, experience is a huge criteria. There will be new hires to keep up with the submissions and the quality of the hires often suffers when there's a need to fill a spot specially when it affects their numbers.

I totally agree with the rest of your post.

19. baseball21

The graders and finalizes all are.

markr likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Coins are never looked at by only one person.

21. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I'll chime in here...

I don't believe that back in the day someone said "Hey, let's figure out a way to remove money from people's pockets & put it in our pockets & have them do it willingly....& you know what, coin collectors are ripe for the pickings! Let's start a grading & slabbing system to make them think were adding value to their coins."

No, I believe the idea had a noble beginning. And authentication is certainly a nice feature regardless of the condition of the coin.

But there are problems that arise:

There are at least 50 thousand ways to collect, whether it's complete series, or only Morgan's, or type sets, or only commemoratives, or only moderns, or only ancients and some of those in severely narrow bands (not being critical here), or (apparently) only cents (OK, pennies) since 1992 :smuggrin:,.....you get the idea.

Anyone who has been following CT threads can readily see that it's very rare to have a consensus on many of the things that come up for opinion...but it is great to share ideas, dialog, and different opinions because we are indeed humanity, & we love to learn & teach. But this idea about the value & integrity of "grading & TPG's" has about the widest range of opinions as any.

So, given this, the TPG's are between a rock & a hard place. And I think part of the problem is that it is too inexpensive (read: they don't charge enough) to grade. If slabbing started at something like $50 or $60 per coin you wouldn't have every Tom, Dick & Harry (well, I'm sure other would do it too, but these guys are always the instigators) slabbing tons of coins. The way it is going, it seems the TPG's are being inundated with submissions, and of course they make mistakes. And they have to add qualified graders & good luck with that, as evidenced by the wide variances in opinions here when asked to grade a coin (OK, I realize you don't have it in hand, but still...)

And have you read the discussions (read: complaints) about whether bullion coins are 69's or 70's!!! Sheesh!!!

So they get more submissions, we require (read: want) them to get cheaper & faster, yet we complain about pricing, accuracy, & nit pick grading, but have no regard for the difficulty in learning to grade, the time/experience factor. I dare say that there are few of us here who are really qualified or experienced enough to really do it.

No, aside from authentication, the main thing that slabbing attempts to accomplish is to level the playing field....that (thanks to the internet) someone on one side of the globe can buy a slab from someone on the other side of the globe & have a certain degree of comfort in the subjective "grade". Unfortunately, this doesn't work because it is all SUBJECTIVE.

So while collectors now have the advantage of reaching virtually every other collector on the planet....we cannot agree on grades or the virtues of TPG's. I find it difficult to pin this problem mostly on TPG's, which again I believe to be a noble but flawed exercise.

And for the record, of the couple of thousand coins in my possession, I only have about 35 slabs.

OK, people, we're done here, move along.....:happy::happy::happy:

Randy Abercrombie and JPeace$ like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted