“Blowout” in Coin Images Discussion

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Oct 31, 2020.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Sir Messy - could you start a new thread and explain what you mean with this (tutorial style)? I'm familiar with a histogram, and I use them sporadically, but I'm not sure I use it to it's best effect. I certainly wouldn't say it's my best friend (which maybe means I'm not as familiar with it as I thought?).

A few questions for thought:

- what is a histogram?
    - why is it important?
    - what does it tell me?
    - why should I look at it?
    - how can I use it to improve my images?
    - how do I improve me images using this histogram?
    - when is it most significant?
    - or, when is the histogram less important?

CircCam and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I think my biggest takeaway from all the feedback so far is that each design type can require different methods and has different pitfalls as far as positioning the lights. As soon as I veer off too far to fix or enhance one element, if I’m not careful I’ll have messed up something else. The shield issue is a good example of that- I was being careful of that at first but then forgot it when trying so hard to capture the brilliance of the luster.

I’ll keep trying but I too would love to see the histogram tutorial if possible as that has been mentioned several times and is likely a solid piece I’m missing that might help as a compass to improving overall.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is *absolutely* the case. Different series will have different designs, different field depths, different elements with different contrasts. Different denominations will have different sizes and thus need different placement of lights. Unless you're photographing a whole lot of very similar coins, every single coin you image will need a bit of tweaking.

Honestly, even different dates of the same series will need customized settings - a 1919S Lincoln has almost no similarity to a 1955S.

5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Very interesting, I believe it after having imaged several Lincolns lately. This is one I felt really captured the coin well, and it felt entirely different than the 1916.

3E9C3389-C147-48A9-9ADC-1A1F9489D650.jpeg

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I will do this. I hesitated posting about it, because I didn't want to hijack this thread with something that should be a thread of its own. I'll come up with some example images, histograms, and explanations over the weekend. I just realized I also have to come up with a calendar.

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

@CircCam, you are doing great!! You are certainly heading down the right path and are getting a lot of great suggestions and information here.

As has been said above, each series presents it's own challenges. Each date within a series can also present it's own challenges. I have many times shot a series for a client with dozens of date and MM combinations, and rarely do I not have to make slight lighting adjustments on each one.

I struggle pretty bad when it comes to Lincoln cents, especially toned ones. I suspect everyone has a certain series that is a struggle. Keep going with what you are doing, and take in all the free advice you are getting. ;)

CircCam and Pickin and Grinin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted