‘71 Philadelphia finally found!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by MatthewT, Mar 2, 2018.

1. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

I got back into coin collecting about 2 months ago. I found this Jefferson Nickel book I’ve had probably since I was a child.(‘62-‘94) Sometime in my teens I had raided what little it had for spending cash. I started roll hunting about a month ago, primarily asking for nickel rolls when I got change at stores and seldom asking banks for $10-$15 worth at a time. ( totally on a budget!) Well today was payday and I decided to get 16$ worth of nickels and 4$ worth of pennies. I found the 1971 plain that I was missing for nearly a month with a couple pre-‘60s I already had. To top it off , within the 4$ of pennies I found two wheaties: 1953D and a 1914. It felt good pushing them coins in! 5BA339A8-7710-4CFD-A64E-9FD2551AAB06.jpeg 5602DEB9-C4B2-4A43-A51A-F9359197F9AF.jpeg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Nice @MatthewT ! Can you please post close up pictures of the '71 nickel and the two wheaties? I recently found a very worn 1914 cent.

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your doing well. Slow and sure

5. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

the 71 isn’t nice enough to wonder if a “missing s” proof. The 1914 Wheaty was also not so appealing. Lol. Still a hole filler! I threw the 53D into my jar of wheaties already. 702CAEBB-FAB5-4F14-8AF3-EAD142E48A43.jpeg 34416E8B-C772-47A6-948E-D9A93017BAA5.jpeg

TexAg likes this.
  6. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Thanks bud! Meadowlands Flea Market tomorrow! (Giants Stadium) Going with a 80$ budget. Will update!

7. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks Matthew, your 1914 is nicer than mine! Good luck at the Flea Market and keep us posted!

8. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

I was hoping to get a package today. I ordered a BU 2018 Silver Eagle, 1oz silver bar, 1/2 oz silver bar and two gram pieces. The half oz bar is a Bday gift for my sister. I track the package and it saids delivered. It clearly wasn’t delivered :( . Fraustrating way to end the night , was on hold with USPS for 58minutes. The order was with Apmex and I’ve had text messages regarding the shipment tracking since it left Oklahoma. Friggin USPS. My first order and already trouble? REALLY?!

TexAg likes this.
  9. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Lol! Don’t worry maybe you’ll find one better soon! I’ve seen early wheaties at the flea market from 0.25 cents - 2$. Not too bad. I work in a county park and found a 1919 last week! It wasn’t as good as the one I already had but still a great find!- 99years in the making.

TexAg likes this.
  10. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Btw nice display photo! The franklin half is def my favorite of the halves. I halve(get it) 3 and ones a MS 63 I think!

TexAg likes this.
  11. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

got My first barber half dollar and Morgan dollars, The ever so elusive 1968s lincoln cent. And a few other goodies. Online is so much cheaper. Lol
    4325BCDC-81FD-474B-BD73-ADFEFC75D7DF.jpeg 8FCEDA66-4A59-4FE5-BC86-D93531207569.jpeg 53C2A872-22AD-4EB2-AF55-8D5907FB9291.jpeg 192A928D-82BF-4093-962C-FBAACE03FCFD.jpeg CA1B8522-D826-4A35-A313-0F9E5839D6A1.jpeg

TexAg likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Congratulations on finishing the nickels.

MatthewT likes this.
  13. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Thanks bud, now working on the ‘38-‘61 set!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

I've been posting in the other thread. That 1950p nickel looks pretty nice. Is it really a 1950? Couldn't see enough detail from scans. You won't find many pre-1955 nickels in nice condition from roll searching. Anyway, hope you have better luck than me. Several thousand dollars of nickels searched in last 14 months. Still no 1938s, 39d, 39s, 43d, 50d, or 51s. Others have reported finding them lately... but not me. Even that 1958p you need is a tough one. I've only found 10 of them, all in low grade and not very pretty to the eye.

15. Seattlite86

Do you want help with it or are you happy searching for them?

16. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Hmm. Either would be great! Since I won’t be going to the flea markets for quite some time all I’m left with is buying individual nickels or coin roll hunting. The thing is: I don’t want to be buying BU nickels for some ridiculous cost and coin roll hunting takes quite the startup investment. I never bought a box. I generally ask for rolled coins when I get change through out the week at different locations. Then when I have an hour or two I’ll sit and do some hunting. I also mark where I get each roll from for result comparisons.

17. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

50s and below are definitely a tough find. I find maybe four‘50s and two ‘40s every $20 or so. The problem is , it’s generally always something I already have. What I’ve been doing is trying to make duplicate sets of the 60’s and 70’s in case I get another book or someone needs em.
    Those dang ‘64s always trick me when upside down! Luckily I’ve saved most of them. Got about 4$ in 1964 nickels(evenly D and plain) Just saw a video the other day regarding the ‘64 Double “D”Mint Markings and “epluriDus unum” errors from polishing.
    I’ll get back to you on that 1950 P. It may just have nice luster not sure about any damage. I also have a BU war nickel I’ve kept out of that book but have the slot marked where to find it lol

18. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Looking again at that photo I think the 1950P just happens to be in a great position to reflect the flash like the one almost directly under it. Will update later tonight.

19. Seattlite86

Do you have a want list? I’m about to dump some nickels in the bank.

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Oh... so you're into nickels too, huh? Are they too by the truckload, or have you taken a more modest approach? ;)

Seattlite86 and MatthewT like this.
  21. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

I have a need list, but it’s on a dry erase board at my house. I’m currently working until 10pm EST tonight.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted