Would someone be willing to look through these notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Kevinfred, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Really? So you guys are suggesting that he should freeze up $640 to hold on to notes that are worth $640 just because they are "old" and no longer printed in that style?? I *might* suggest keeping the star note, but the others are spenders, imo.

Sure, they "have been out of print for decades", but guess what? 20 years from now, series 2009 will have been out of print for decades. Are you guys saving every bill you come across to preserve the "historical" value that they (will) have??

I'm not sure about all of you, but I can't afford $640 to just stash away some "historical" notes (worth $640).

But, that's just my opinion.

Kevin, my advice? Maybe you should just sell these "historical" notes to NOS, jlg1130 and tbudwiser and make everyone happy? You guys making offers to buy? You guys are offering a slight premium since they are so historical, right? ;)

edit: to add, I personally like the design on the old-style notes much, much, much better than the newer large-head notes, but I still just can't see the point of saving all of them... especially when I need to use the money for something else. :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

As a matter of fact, I did make an offer to buy some of the notes. So ;) yourself, buddy.

Before you go shooting your mouth off, maybe you should do a little asking around first....and just for the record, I too cannot afford to sit on $640. If you read the posts more closely, you'd see that it was suggested that maybe he try and sell them to another collector, if he can't hold onto them.

4. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Ok everyone, GROUP HUG!! Seriously though, if these were a bunch of 1's, 5's and 10's, I wouldn't have even posted... Unfortunately the face value is just too much on a few of 'em...

Thanks to everyone for their help and insight...

5. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

You've got to do, what you've got to do, Kevin.

Good luck with everything.

6. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

:eek: Wow! Great response...

...though I think you may have taken my post the wrong way.

I did not notice the 'offer' in your other posts.

I was suggesting that he sell them to you or some others, because you were all so interested in them. Hence, the *wink* ;)

As for me, I, personally, don't consider them rare or interesting enough to save. Especially considering the condition and relative (non)rarity compared to other collectable currency.

I'm an errors and star note guy, with some Nationals and fancy serial numbers in the mix. To me, these notes aren't very collectible, especially if one needs the money to spend elsewhere. Though I do agree that the older designs are much more "eye-appealing" to me.

Everyone is entitled to collect what they feel like collecting. The OP asked for thoughts/opinions and they were provided. No "shooting off at the mouth" necessary.

I think everyone is on the same team here, man. Or, at least, I thought that.

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I never suggested the OP stash away the entire $640 worth of notes. I implicitly suggested in this post that the best condition notes be saved. The total face value came to $100. http://www.cointalk.com/t203190/#post1403344

Now, Ryannof, your name sounds familiar. Are you by chance an active participant on the WheresGeorge forums?

8. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Yes I am. I mentioned that in another thread here. :)

Are you, as well?

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I used to be but like many good people who participated on there, I was banned. The WG forums tend to be very clannish in that it is common for people who think outside the box and have an opinion that differs from Hank and his followers to get banned. Often times, Hank will label people with differing opinions as a troll and delete their posts to discredit them. Here is a recent posting from Hank attesting to this practice: http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/showpost.php?p=4967712&postcount=72

10. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

That's because it wasn't posted in the thread. It was done through PM's.

What, like you've never flown off the handle?
    Give me a break.

Just because I took the tone of the post the wrong way, doesn't mean that I'm not on the same "team" as everybody else.

Now, enough of this noise. Back to the topic at hand, everybody. :D

11. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Hmm... that sucks. :(

I've entered quite a few bills, but it gets somewhat time consuming after a while. I do find the concept/process fun and interesting though. And it gets you into the habit of looking at serial numbers closely! I still enter some, here and there. Man, there are a few of the folks that have too much time on their hands... and too much money! LOL! But to each there own.

I haven't noticed that myself, but I don't venture outside of the collecting forum that often either. ;) Mostly just to comment on other peoples posts that I find interesting.

Well, I can't speak to that post or topic as I didn't read all of it. I have seen other posts where people disagree with the admin and not be banned. There's always two (or more) sides to a story. I think some people cross the line between disagreeing and disrespecting... and nothing good ever comes of that. But, that also happens anywhere on the internet, and life in general.

Like I said, I personally have never had a problem there. As a matter of fact, all of the people from the Collecting forum are an awesome group of folks! I have even met quite a few of them. Most of us try to look out for other people's collecting interests. I don't know if you can view those forums, but I am currently working on a project collecting 2006 B-* notes from Print Run 3. I have had several members there help me locate some of these notes. Of course, I added an incentive of paying above face value, so that helped too I'm sure. :p But I know that I've received more than half of the notes I currently have for this project from members there. I've learned a lot from the forums there. And other places like here.

Again, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

12. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Well, I was actually thinking that maybe I was on the wrong team!! LOL!

I agree! To the OP. I think you've gotten more advice than you hoped for. :D

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Because forum rules prohibit that in this section of the forum, and his offer was no doubt done through private messages.

14. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

Ain't that the truth! Lol! :too-funny:

Ryannof, you're alright. I still disagree with you :D but you seem like a good guy, and I appreciate your positive attitude.

My apologies for earlier.

:)

15. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

Thanks, you coin hoarder, for the website info, I got a little laugh here about the deposit but you're right. I don't collect paper and my newest acquisition is an 1861-o half dollar, bisected date (stamped by the Confederacy) but with a little character. I like the history also, the character is a hole and the coin is AU, Ed

16. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

kevenfred i have been a paper currency collector for many years. like many have said there isn't anything special in those notes. as far as historic value like mentioned before a 2009 note in 20 years will be old and out of print. you have to figure out is historical value worth more than the monetary value. in this case i would say no. besides the $10 star note there isn't anything worth more than face value. don't worry about some of the people on this forum. they like to make an argument about everything. that's not what this site is for. i wish i would have seen the post earlier. i worked at a bank for many years and saw hundreds of thousands of dollars in old style notes. yes eventually they all will be destroyed by the fed but there are billions of similar notes like yours floating around this planet. obviously you can do what you please but because of the face value i would just either spend it or deposit it. that's just my opinion as a paper currency collector. which is what i believe this whole thread was about before there were arguments. :) enjoy the forum

17. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

I didn't realize that. Makes sense. Thank you!

It's all good. Like I said, everyone collects differently. It's 'ok' to disagree. :thumb:

And you're right. I've "flown off the handle" before. In fact, I've been known to pick the handle up and throw the whole d#$n thing through the window! :D LOL! No apologies necessary.

At this point we are probably ---> :dead-horse: , so I turn this hijacked thread back over to the OP. Sorry Kevinfred!

BTW, I'm really not a good guy. I think someone lied to you! j/k :p

18. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Who wants to look at some more notes?!?!?! Sadly I'm serious.... ;)

19. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'll do it, I'll do it.....pick me, pick me.

I was able to write 2 blogs on just this thread alone.

20. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Feel free to post new pictures. There appears to be two types of collectors on here. Those who are into more recent notes from circulation and those who are into higher-end notes from earlier points in time. Personally, I feel that advice should primarily be given from those who have an interest in newer yet older circulation type notes.

21. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I missed where they put you in charge of how the forum works, NOS. Frankly when a person asks a rather open-ended question on this forum, I would hope that opinions from all parties are welcome, not just those from a certain class of collectors. Your opinions are welcome too, but this attitude you have about having the only right answer is getting annoying.

Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted