Who else wants time out ?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GDJMSP, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

What makes it even worse is that this topic is at the very top of the "Announcements" section. What about leaving only the initial post (or maybe the first, say, five posts) there and move the rest elsewhere? The "General Discussion" forum would be fine, but as that is an opt-in area, Support/Feedback could be a good place too.

(Or do we have a section named "The Dump" which I just have not found yet? That would be fine as well. :D )

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's a difference Paul. They were only treated like children AFTER they acted like children.

I treat everybody like an adult, even the members who really are children. But when adults refuse to obey the rules, when adults completely ignore repeated warnings, and when adults completely ignore specific instructions given by a Moderator, then, and only then, they are treated like children for there is no other choice.

Act like an incorrigible child, and you shall be treated as one. Act like an adult, and you shall be treated as one.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Because no one can just let it die a slow death.

5. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I was one of the people that got a "time out". Why did I get a time out? Because, after reporting a particular user for what amounted to trolling, spamming and attempting to derail a thread, nothing was done for several hours, and his behavior continued. So I called him out. He reacted in a way that was typical for a spoiled child that can't have their way and went off the deep end. I merely defended myself against him, and I got 7 days for it.

Ridiculous. If the moderators had done their job and cracked down on his idiotic behavior before it got to that point, I would have not been banned. I was banned for pointing out his poor behavior and making him look like the idiot he is. I spent my time away from cointalk building a nice, little profile of his entire life story up until this point... If he wants to act like an idiot online, that's fine, but he should know that there can be repercussions outside of his little 15 inch computer screen.

Regardless of all that crap and what amounts to lackluster moderation, I still post here because, simply said, there is no other place in the world of independent (AKA non-TPG) coin forums where you can find such a nice variety of individuals from a multitude of backgrounds. That doesn't mean that I'm gonna go on posting the way I used to, I'm pretty sure that since I've been back, my volume of posts is down substantially. It will probably stay that way too. If I'm going to be banned for standing up against the poor behavior of other members...

Screw it, I'm not posting outside of the CRH'ing forum for a while. At least that forum is relatively unmoderated and easier to post in without worrying about if your post is going to offend someone and get you banned...

Last thought; what's the point of an infraction system if you don't use it?

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

While I can understand how you feel in your particular case, I feel it only fair to point out that the mods and admins, including Peter, have a life outside this forum, and offline. They can't be expected to consume their existence in this life with moderating an online forum.

7. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

As they should. But if they're having problems with moderator coverage, then they need to add additional moderators. General rule of hand with a forum this size is to have one moderator on at all times. Once again, boils down to lackluster moderation. I was banned because they can't handle the issue in a timely manner and I just wanted to post and read about coins that were CAC'ed without putting up with his childish BS.

Point is this; Moderation here is reactive instead of proactive, and that led to the situation that spawned this thread.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ya know Merc you should at least tell the truth if you're going to complain. You were warned, numerous times, before you ever got banned for 7 days. You were told flat out to change your behavior or you would get temporarily banned. You even when to the point that you put the other guy on your Ignore list. But then you refused to ignore him. I even asked why, if he was on your ignore list, you deliberately kept opening up his posts reading them and then responding. Do you remember what you told me the reason was ? I do, I saved the PM's.

No Merc, you were not unfairly treated at all. You were given numerous chances to stop and avoid getting a temp ban. YOU refused to stop, so you suffered the consequences. You brought it entirely, 100% on yourself.

9. mcrow24

mcrow24 New Member

I have been a mod on forums before and it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of jobs. From what I can tell the mods here at CT do a nice job of keeping the focus on civil discussions of coins.

Some people just like to be professional pains in the rear on the internet.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

My take is that the better a forum is moderated the less that you notice it.

Most comments I see on the moderating here come from people who have suffered some sort of consequences.

It's a thankless but necessary job and I think that the moderation here is all but unnoticed.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Removed your duplicates ~Jim

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree that there were a few acting like children and you punished them accordingly. This thread was designed to prevent the rest of the forum members who were not acting like children from starting to act like children. IMO, this thread was completely unnecessary as you (moderators) had already addressed the real problem. I know you meant it as a warning to prevent trouble but it is more like an engraved invitation for the trolls to start trouble. My first thought when I read this thread last week was, OMG this is going to end badly. I am just surprised that it took as long as it did for trouble to erupt. If it were up to me, I would put a gun to the head of this thread and pull the trigger.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

But it is not up to you. Unless you have appointed yourself as a moderator. I think the moderators do just enough.

14. areich

areich America*s Darling

I have similar sentiment. If I was a Moderator I would not allow open revolt.

Mandy

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Hey you got something a little brown on your nose. Might wanna take care of that!

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since you are a Jefferson expert, just think of it as toning on the way to being a "black beauty". Brown nosing is just as abhorent as complaining just for the sake of complaining. I have been censored a couple of times here and did not particularly agree with it, but understood it. I still think the modedrators here do a very good job. Not too hot, not too cold, but juuuuust right (mostly).

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If folks act like a child on CU, they are history. No warnings. You are gone.
    NGC is a bit slow so there are few problems.

With the quantity of post on this site, the mods do a great job keeping up. They are fair and take the time to give warnings. We all have moments when we pick a poor choice of words. We should learn from those moments and not break the same rules again. If we do, we should get a vacation.

18. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

Wow, wasn't there any good TV on?

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

TBH Merc Crazy, I know where you are coming from, but still know why you were put on vacation. I have got sucked into little "contests" online because I get caught up being ticked off about what is posted. I know we want things changed right away in life, with the instant internet age and all. I have crossed the line and basically engaged in internet shouting matches.

Its not worth it. Certain people will always rub you the wrong way, like they do me. Sometimes the best course of action is to report it if you believe its a violation and walk away from the thread for a day or two. Its not easy for me either, trust me, but its the way I try to keep from crossing the line from protesting bad behavior to adding to the bad behavior.

Not sure if this helps, but its my view. I do hope you continue to spend time here.

Chris

20. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

This thread has become absurdly jejune. Time to hit the 'unsubscribe' button in my settings. Have fun folks LOL

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, I've had enough as well. Time to 'un-subscribe'. If the Mods won't kill this thing I can surely eliminate the dribble coming into my in-box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.