Who else wants time out ?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GDJMSP, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I suggest that everybody reads this as I have about reached my limit. I'm sick and tired of adults acting like a bunch of little kids ! The constant bickering and antagonizing each other and calling each other names is going to stop - or I will be the one who stops it !

About 5 minutes ago 2 members just got a 1 week "time out" from the forum. If you want to act like children then by God I'll treat ya like children !

I have sent PM's, I have posted warnings in threads, I have done just about everything I can do short of what I am doing now. And the same thing goes for everybody, you can treat each other with respect and stop this nonsensical bickering, or you can take an involuntary 1 weeks vacation from Coin Talk.

Anybody can disagree with anybody, and post about it. But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about doing that. I strongly suggest that everybody forgets about the wrong way from here on out. There will be no more name calling. There be no more calling this member or that member a "troll". There will be no more accusations thrown around and posted about saying this member did this or that member did something else. If you got a problem with something that another member says - then use the Report Post icon and report it. And the Mods will deal with it, IF the Mods think it dealt with to begin with. If they do not, then nothing will be done and I expect others to forget about it and move on.

A few people are slowly turning this forum into what the PCGS forum is like. And I'm not gonna stand for that. You can disagree, you can debate opposite or different points of view, you can even argue. But you will do so in a respectful manner - or, suffer the consequences.

We have rules around here. Generally I am pretty lax and let people have their say. But I guess it's my fault, maybe I have been too lax. Well not anymore.

So heads up folks. Start acting like the decent and respectful people I always thought you to be.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Duly noted.

Btw Doug, I think I speak for many here who do appreciate all of the Mods hard work on CT. Its an unwanted, thankless, and stressful task that makes the board nicer for everyone.

Thank goodness its not my job! :)

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Agreed. I will try to always take the high road. I can be a bit of a smart "horses patoot" at times.

5. Liberty1913

Liberty1913 Member

Thanks!

Great job!! Thanks for removing the junk that most people do not want to hear. This is a place for people to share the hobby and not a place for self-centered idiots to rant and rave.

I come to this forum because I like coins and enjoy learning and sharing. Keep up the good work.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thanks Doug, but don't remove so much as to make it boring.

7. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Thanks Doug. I was tempted to just ignore this forum for a month or so just to see if the current ranting would go away. Hopefully I won't need to do that now.

8. onecenter

onecenter Member

If it is any consolation to you, the stamp collecting forums can be really WILD.

I have always found Coin Talk to be much more civil in tone and, therefore, much more enjoyable and informative. Coin Talk has rekindled my formerly deep passion for coins to new heights.

9. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

thank you doug, i figured this would happen soon. i appreciate you doing what you do here on cointalk.
    thanks again,

cody

10. Only if I get to wear the dunce cap as well. :p

11. medoraman

I am always wearing the dunce cap around here, ask anyone. :)

12. They probably actually used them back when you were in school. :p

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh Lord, here we go again with the 'old' jokes........:)

14. medoraman

Well, they can be directed at me for a while versus Doug, he has had enough of his share on CT I believe. ;)

15. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Doug,
    Is it true that when God said "Let there be light" you were the one that threw the switch?

16. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

17. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

I take week long breaks all the time. It can get old being on here EVERY SINGLE DAY and it gives the site a chance to refresh and get new again. Then it is fun to get current and I'm usually not drawn into an argument as easy. Just a suggestion as it works for me. To me, this site is to enhance my enjoyment of coins, not turn me off to the hobby.

Matt

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

19. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I was just going to ask how good the pay was (being a mod), for policing this site and spending personal time typing up posts like that. LOL!

Seriously though, have no idea what brought this on but it's likely some young guys who feel the need to prove their worth and fight it out. I may even defend some depending on the circumstances.

I'm not looking to go Dr. Phil on anybody here but realistically, this is just a coin forum! It's just a place to come chill and relax for me. I don't know what there is to fight about. Perhaps some people spend too much time here?

20. medoraman

Too many, (including myself), take things too personally. Its the internet, there will always be trolls, no sense getting mad and screaming at a machine.

Yeah, I have to keep telling that to myself at times. :)

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I just took an involuntary time out when I forgot my laptop charger in a hotel room last week. Relax, I bought a new charger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.