Where do sellers find old bank wrapped rolls?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by luxuriousshenanigans, Apr 23, 2014.

1. I always come across people on ebay who have loads (like hundreds) of 70+ year old bank wrapped rolls of wheats. Where do people find so many, if they're all from the same bank how do they find so many at one time? What are the best banks to find an assortment of dates. Would it be better to go to a small credit union rather than a large bank like bank of America? I'm guessing that the larger banks tend to get more novice roll hunters and newer coins. Also, has anybody ever thought about buying boxes of rolls directly from a store or business. Im sure there comes a time when they have too much change on hand and they have to exchange it, why not just get it directly from them? Might be better than the bank. Anyways, hopefully somebody can school me on this haha.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Most of the "old" rolls on ebay are put together and not original. Old looking paper is available as well as crimping tools. Rarely are the rolls old or unsearched. Most are a scam.

MKent likes this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They do happen, rarely, but they do happen. I have gotten rolls, usually they are now odd amounts like 25c cent rolls, or $20 half rolls from my various credit unions. I have managed to score solid wheat rolls, solid silver rolls etc.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Move to a city where the majority of the populace is retirees. Open an account with several banks. In the week prior to the 3rd of each month, make the rounds of those banks and watch for every elderly person entering the bank with a bag or box. Stand in line immediately behind them.

Chris

Strozzie and stldanceartist like this.
  6. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I've spoken at length with a few people who work in banks, from small to large, and all of them say the coins in their inventory turn over fairly frequently. In these banks, there would be no roll or box that stayed put for 70+ years.

I haven't spoken to someone from every bank in the US, so I suppose there could be a few out there that have rolls or boxes that haven't been touched in years, but it seems unlikely.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Coin rolls do turn over frequently - what happens though is that depositors sometimes bring in old rolls. But that doesn't mean you cannot find rolls that have sat in a bank's vaults for several decades - because I myself found original BU Ike dollars in a small bank in a rural N. California town a few years ago. The teller said they had had them for as long as she had worked there - then 15+ years.

8. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

buying an unsearched roll off ebay is like playing the lottery. you might hit a jackpot and actually get an unsearched roll which may or may not contain a rarity. Or you can get 2 wheats and a bunch of 2010-p pennies.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think it's more like buying a lottery ticket from some guy on a street corner. You might get a legitimate lottery ticket that gives you a small chance at a jackpot, but more likely you're getting a fake that gives you absolutely no chance at a jackpot.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

As a rule there really are no "unsearched" rolls on eBay. They have been searched somewhere along the line.

11. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Finding OBW at banks is next to impossible. Most of the rolls on eBay, if legit, have been rolled long ago and put away. I've been to several estate auctions have seen BU rolls from the 60s on up.

Draft saved Draft deleted