What's your best eBay.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jun 17, 2012.

1. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

I gambled on an ebay auction selling a 1943, 1909 VDB, and 1909 (P). There were no returns, but since I bought it for $13, I really didn't have much to lose. The pictures were okay; the 1943 looked to be XF-AU, the '09 VDB looked XF, and the '09 P looked like it had a ton of luster; I was shooting for a nice Red-Brown BU.

They came in the mail and I was really surprised. The 1943 was an easy AU, if not low grade BU. The '09 VDB was a choice AU-low grade BU; its toning made it appear XF in the seller's pictures. The '09 P was a beauty to say the least. Deep golden fields and really lustrous. It would of hit MS65 RB easily if not for a small dirt mark on the reverse. Anyways I sold the '09 VDB for $21 and still have the other two.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. richcali

richcali Member

My best buy on ebay wasnt even for a coin but a 1903 New Years Post Card that had a minature envalope on it and said good luck on it and paid $5 for the post card with free shipping when I got it I notice there was something in the envalope and when I opened it a near flawless 1903 Indian Head Cent came out had never been touched since they put it in the envalope has some great color and the very best details have yet to get it Graded but should be a easy MS-65 or better and the "ONE CENT" on reverse is doubled, what a great coin!

4. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

Ugh. I know the feeling. I love when I list a EF/AU silver coin with a 99 cent start and it sells way under melt, especially when nearly identical coins start at the same price, same shipping, etc. and go haywire down the stretch. :confused:

5. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I am new at buying coins at Ebay and in general. I don't believe I received a best or worst Ebay just got prices that were fair or a little better.
    Here is what I bought:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300714426833?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/290717501510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320909102716?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I sold a penny a relative found in change, a 1913 wheat cent for $1.54 with shipping that cost me nothing. It sold for a little less than it is worth but it cost me nothing.

6. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

My advice to you would be to try to find higher quality coins than the examples you posted.
    In the long run not only will you enjoy them more but they will most likely appreciate in value more than lower quality specimens.

7. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

got a picture of it?

8. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I found a 1942/1 Merc dime in an unsearched roll. It was like hitting the lottery. XF40 PCGS

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I have had 2 that really stood out.

1. A collection of Canadian large cents that said "no key dates". I paid $75 for all 60 cents. Turns out it had key dates, beautiful grades, and even the 1858 (first year:key date):

Check out my thread on Canadian cents here: http://www.cointalk.com/t204609/

[​IMG]

Some more from the lot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I bought a lot of 11 mercury dimes for $37. This is what showed up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wrote about it here and showed the sellers pics.

10. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I'm wrong....I did have one buy that I came out ahead on. I bought a lot of buffs for about $.45 each. Mostly 30s, some 20s, and one or two teens. They were all pretty nice though.

11. richcali

richcali Member

I purchase this post card on ebay for $5 free shipping and this is the coin found in that 1903 New Years Post card and there was a small envalope on the post card with good luck on it and this is what I found in the little envalope, there is a spot on the face that is where the envalope was against it and the tone is wonderful the picture doesnt do it justice! 1903-Indian-Head-Cent-Face.jpg 1903-Indian-Head-Cent-Reverse-.jpg

12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

$280 a few months ago.....:eek:

. 34A.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted