Whats the Most Embarrassing Thing You've Ever Done to Get a Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Title says it all except, done for a coin/ happened while trying to get a coin.
    For me,
    I saw a wheatie on the floor at the supermarket and I went to get it. The floor was like sticky or something and while I'm trying to dislodge it from the floor this old lady knocks into me, her no no square like on my head for a second, then she like stumbles for 5 feet into the checkout lines. Then she gave me the evil eye when I apologized. She wasn't a very nice lady...

wcoins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It wasn't exactly embarrassing, but there is no telling what a collector might resort to in order to secure something.

While attending the FUN Show several years back, I was browsing through dealers' cases looking for any nice medal that caught my eye. I spotted one from about 6' away, but there was an elderly couple standing in front of both of the dealer's cases. At first, I waited patiently as they took their time. It seemed like forever, and I began to worry that they, or someone else with less courtesy, might ask to look at it. So, I moved a little closer to the woman and craned my neck to get a better view. The woman took note of this and edged closer to her (I assume) husband. I was still too far away to reach across her and point to the medal while trying to get the dealer's attention. Again, I moved closer to her, and she nudged her husband in an effort to put some distance between us. Finally, I was close enough to move in and when I got the attention of the dealer, I asked to see the medal. I didn't even bother to haggle with him. He told me his price, and I bought it.

Chris

1876 International Exhibition OBV.JPG
    1876 International Exhibition REV.JPG

silentnviolent likes this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Really...? being rude to elderly ladies to get a penny... or a TOKEN...? That's pretty low ;-)

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I spent my rent money on a coin, but that was a long time ago, and I was a dumb kid. Spent the next couple of months trying to catch up. Probably most of us have done something like that, whether it was a coin or some other luxury item. Anyway, that was Budgeting 101 from the school of hard knocks.

6. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I once used a greenie to scrub some "mung" off a wheat cent. Although it seemed like the right thing to do a few years ago, it is kind of embarrassing today.

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I once used a greenie to scrub some "mung" off a wheat cent. Although it seemed like the right thing to do a few years ago, it is kind of embarrassing today.

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

9. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

When I first started collecting, there was a very eccentric lady who was a B&M dealer of coins and antiques in town. The first time I walked into her shop, this one particular CC Morgan shined so brightly as to distinguish itself as the only coin in the room. I walked over to it and fell in love. I inquired as to how much it was, and she said,

"It is for sale, but not for money."

I was slightly confused, as I did not have anything of barter value that would come close to its "price". She said if I wanted the coin, that I should follow her into the back room. Being young, trusting and ignorant, I followed her into the back room.

Once in the small room, she flicked a switch that turned off the lights while simultaneously asking,

"How badly do you want this Carson City Morgan?"

I was scared, and excited at the same time. I told her I would do ANYTHING for the coin, and as the 3 syllables of "anything" crossed my lips, a shiver ran up my spine. Out of nowhere, she was right in front of me and leaned in close, almost whispering in my ear,
    "What can you do with this?"

Suddenly, something moist and soft was thrust into my chest. Panic hit me like a train. The lights quickly flipped on and I saw myself holding the business end of a mop.

"Three weeks work, after school, from 3pm-630pm, and the coin is yours. You can start by mopping the front, and then collecting the trash"
    YOU ARE ALL SOME PERVERTS, WHERE DID YOU THINK THIS WAS GOING?!?

mill rat41, ace71499, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

LOL!

If they made pennies like this, I doubt that anyone would be searching $25 boxes. It is 76mm and 9mm thick.

Chris

11. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

That is the best thing that ever my eyes have ever read...

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

One repeating embarrassment is that since my friends and family know I collect, they (seemingly) all save their change and when it accumulates to around 5-10 lbs. worth, they appear and say "Hey I've been saving my change for you. Here, check it out! But I gotta get to (wherever) in (a ridiculously short period of time), so can you do it fast?" or "I'll leave it here with you. How long do you need?"

I mean, I appreciate that they are thinking of me, but I'm not a machine. Sometimes it's tough to choose whether to accept out of obligatory feeling / guilt, or decline and possibly offend.

13. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

well written. :) count this as my 'double like'

by the way, 'details member' is pretty awesome too.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Down on the hands and knees fishing silver dimes out from under a Coinstar machine a few years ago. But they really were silver and not the lousy Canadians that are the normal finds.

15. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Ha Ha great story and the white writing you thought we would never see it huh? lol

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

OMG... ah ok no old lady involved this time... LOL

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  17. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

you found a breadcrumb... :blackalien:

18. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

i dug a 1964 quarter out of a tip jar once (i replaced it with a dollar, but the cashier still gave me the evil eye)

silentnviolent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted