What would you pay for this?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Foreigner, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

I have a chance to buy these coins. It's going to be on a local auction. I would like to participate, but I'm not absolutely sure about their real value. It's not common to see some of these coins here. So I'm asking you. I know here is really experienced people that can help.

My question is: Would you buy some of these coins? If so, what would you pay for this? Really thank for each help!

1932.jpg
    1933.jpg
    1942.jpg
    1943.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Myself, I wouldn't bid on any of them. Raw trade dollars are always suspect now, and both of the LC, although high grades, have defects that would make them hard to resell (a heavy scratch and a black spot). These are the consignor's problem coins, looking for the unwary.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

trade dollars look strange cleaned, the large cents look cleaned. I would stay far away from these coins offered. save up for better grades. you will be happier down the road getting better grades/problem free coins.

5. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posts

6. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

As much as I like coins with "history" behind them, the 50 and 51 large cents are nice but as said you can do better easily on those as both are common in high grades. As for the trade dollars, those are so counterfeited I would never buy one unslabbed unless from a dealer/seller I really trusted (few and far between). Good luck, I like all of the coins but don't think I would take the risk.

7. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Every thread I read I see "you can't buy that anymore" 'cause so many counterfeits, buy only slabbed. I have no problem with that, but it'd be good if people start at least trying how to spot a fake. Lot of fakes have obvious design flaws. You do realize there are fake coins in authentic holders (TPG slabbed, not scams) out there. I am not talking about only trade dollars but in general. "You can't buy this or that unless it's slabbed", what happened to " I don't need someone else to tell me that I have enough knowledge to tell on my own". What are the graders some kind of superhumans and we here some mediocre ones?

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Actualy, I said "I would not buy trade dollars unslabbed" and the reason for that is just what you mention wcoins, I lack the knowledge and experience myself to spot a fake trade dollar. Other coins that I have considerably more knowledge and experience with I would not hesitate to buy raw. As for the "fake" slabbed coins you mention, at least there if you have bought a "real" slab (as these are now commonly counterfeited as well as the coins) it is "insured" by the TPG (pcgs and ngc anyway) for the "value" of the coin so even if you do make a mistake and get a fake you haven't lost money (or not much) with a raw purchase you're SOL unless you bought from a trustable dealer that would take it back (as is only proper in my book) Personaly I prefer my coins raw but I often buy slabbed as a safety net if I don't have the experience needed to judge myself.

9. Burnside_Q

Burnside_Q Member

I personally do not own a trade dollar yet, but my curiosity knows no bounds. I would try to determine if it's silver and the weight during viewing and then bid on it as if it was raw common morgan. For $20-25 dollars there's a lot I could learn by owning even a fake silver trade dollar, and if someone wants to outbid me then they can take that chance. The chances of going home with it are slim but you never know at small auctions. I would say spending that $20-25 on a book could teach your more in some ways, but I tend to learn better with the coin in front of me.

10. Foreigner

Foreigner New Member

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Here in Europe, it's really hard to collect US coins in high grade. If something is offered, always it's raw and low grade. I have never seen a US coin for sell in holder. Coin dealers here aren't usually oriented on US coins, so their knowledge about fake detection of rarer US coins won't be always good. I will stay away from these coins.

I forgot to write their initial price:
    Trade dollar 1876 - $262
    Trade dollar 1877 - $42
    One cents - $24 (each)

11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

The only thing I would add is, for $24 I would take a shot at the 1851 one cent coin. It's nice enough, even with the cleaning and blemishes, as a type sample for your collection. Provided you can't find this coin often and the $24 isn't that much to you.

12. thomas austin

thomas austin Beauty is in the eye of me

I lack the knowledge and experience myself to spot a fake trade dollar.

I also lack knowledge to offer any advice on Trade Dollars. But this is the whole reason collecting is attractive to me. When I start searching for that next type coin, I study. By slowing down and studying the type, the whole experience is complete. My knowledge grows. So before I purchase, l learn. Good luck.

13. coinwarrior728

coinwarrior728 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted