What is a Slider?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Apr 13, 2014.

1. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

Bob Gibson was famous because of his slider. He pitched in MLB from 1959-75.

According to Wikipedia, it was likely developed by Chief Bender who pitched from 1903-1917 and in 1925.

dwhiz and centsdimes like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Not quite, since there isn't an unlimited supply available. I'm lucky if there's a handful in the tray when I visit. He's a new dealer and his margins on most stuff are well inside that of our more established dealer in town. His phone number is (406) 577-6637. If you can sell cull Morgans in your area for $25, you might be able to work something out with him that is good for both of you.

centsdimes likes this.
  4. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I guess the slider has been around awhile.

5. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Gibson was my favorite pitcher for a while. He won the seventh game of the World Series in 1964, pitching nine innings on just two days' rest, giving up five runs, all earned, after having pitched nine innings in the previous game.

6. Slider

Slider Member

My dealer calls sliders "commercial Unc.'s" since a lot of dealers will try and sell a nice AU58 as an uncirculated coin. I've never known the term to be associated with whizzed coins...only coins that are on the verge of a higher grade.

centsdimes likes this.
  7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

This is my understanding as well. I have a 1902 S Morgan that I bought raw. It came back as a MS62. Well, I own plenty of MS66 Morgans and this one was every bit a 65. I think they couldn't decide if there was a slight rub on the coin and it was too nice to be AU so they net graded it 62. I still disagree with the grade. I'm thinking of re-submitting it this year. At MS62 it's a $500 coin and it gets really pricey @65.

Nice SLQ. Not my favorite obverse, but one of my favorite reverses.

centsdimes likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

This is my classic slider. On any given day, this could grade as high as MS 63 or be an AU coin. There is the tiniest rub in a couple of the high spots, but it looks much nicer than many MS coins:

1921 au copy.jpg 1921 au rev copy.jpg

centsdimes likes this.
  9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Slider - An AU or MS coin that could officially grade either mint state or almost uncirculated.....a coin that is difficult to gauge.

centsdimes likes this.
  10. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

See, I'm glad someone asked this question. When I got (re)started in the hobby and a dealer at a coin show used the term "slider" I thought it referred to a degradation in the coin because they were sliding against each other as pocket change. :) Meaning it was very much a circulated coin, and not a higher grade at that. This was an interesting thread to read, and certainly cleared up that misconception.

centsdimes likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you beat me to it!

centsdimes likes this.
  12. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Where's White Castle?

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

In NY

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

And Chicago

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Grease Burgers.........but they sure as heck taste good. And they run rings around that Clown (recent makeover) and King guy.

16. Jim K

Jim K Member

I have heard the term "Slider" used to describe a near uncirculated grade coin. I have been told that it is light wear on a coin that comes from the coin being "slid" in and out of a vinyl collectors page. I have also heard them described as a coin in "About Uncurculated" condition, that could "Slide" up in price and be considered uncirculated, or mint state to some collectors. I have also heard the term used to describe a near uncirculated coin, that has been sliding around in a bag or coin tube. In all examples, it seems to describe a coin that is in AU condition. I think that if you consider a slider to be a coin in AU condition, and pay a price appropriate to that grade, you should be ok. I have not heard the term used to describe a cleaned coin, but of course, that is something you should be mindful of when buying any coin.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bloody Necro thread.........Bloody Blazes

18. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

As kids a slider was a coin that was AG, slickies, sliders, smooth sides all names for a worn out coin.
    I know different now so don’t lamb baste me. But I still like my childhood names.

19. Aotearoa

Aotearoa Currently Smitten with DBLCs

I wasn't expecting my home town of Bozeman to pop up here!

Draft saved Draft deleted