What Grade Is This 1934 Peace Dollar?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jolumoga, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I picked this up for $52 today. What would you grade it?

How much is it worth?

I'm just happy to finally have this date.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      513.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      260.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      364.6 KB
      Views:
    spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Here is another photo.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      371.1 KB
      Views:
  4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I can see fingerprints on the obverse and noticeable wear both sides.

AUish. Pictures could be bigger to see more detail and a better opinion on grade.

5. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

At first i thought you had a soli low mint state coin but after looking closer i would believe it is more of an AU coin maybe au-50 to au-55 !! If it is an lower au grade i would say you at the least paid high retail for it !

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I say it's in the AU-55 area . Clearer pics would help . Still a nice coin though .

jolumoga likes this.
  7. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I disagree that it is in the low AU area, and suspect if it is AU it is in the high range. I picked this up at a pawn shop and it seemed the clerk knew little or nothing about coins (it was labeled MS60, which I know means nothing, but I feel the borderline designation is accurate). This coin has too much luster -- cartwheels on both sides -- and too much detail, IMO, to be low AU. I suspect it's at least AU58, but I appreciate the feedback. Here are more pics (my camera is pretty cheap, I must admit, hence the lack of clarity, perhaps). If you disagree with me, I'd really appreciate specific details.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      294.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      399 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      439.9 KB
      Views:
  8. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I agree it is a nice coin. AU or not, it has better eye appeal than some of my certified MS Peace dollars.

rzage likes this.
  9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Which you are entitled to do; however, those of us who have replied are obviously seeing the same issues with this coin, and therefore have given our opinion it's AU.

However, I for one, can see more than enough wear to keep this in AU grades. The fingerprint eventually will cause issues for this coin, over time.

Luster alone is not the only thing considered when grading a coin. The coin could 100% of the original mint luster, yet enough wear and contact marks to keep out of the uncirculated grades.

Which don't help anymore than the first set of pics in your opening post.

10. rzage

I agree , after looking at the pics again , It's at least a 58 and I bet the tpgs might go 62 on her , depending how bad the contact marks are in the fields , also the luster looks fine . Something the tpgs love in their MS and high AU coins . And you're right it is a looker .

jolumoga likes this.
  11. rzage

Don't forget he has the coin in hand , we don't . The pics really aren't clear enough to show any wear clearly . Also the tpgs market grade coins , small amounts of surface wear are routinely dismissed as rub . You both could be right .

12. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Yes, I will be honest and admit I thought it might be in the low MS range, not because I necessarily believe it is mint state, but because the coin looks at least as good as many coins routinely placed at 61 or 62 by TPGs. Plus, I have seen so many examples of fingerprints getting practically disregarded by TPGs to allow them to influence my judgment too much. Plus, there has been discussion, and I agree with it, that TPGs are now routinely classifying many higher-grade AU coins as MS61.

I appreciate the feedback from all, though. I want to be clear that I am not mad that some here said that my coin might be AU50 or AU55. It just seems that, compared to Morgan dollars, Peace dollars tend to be given more slack in grading. In hindsight, I should not have mentioned what I paid for it, as that may color the judgment of some. Again, I appreciate the feedback from those who differ from my opinion!

13. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I might get this coin certified just for the hell of it, though. In fairness I will grant that the pics I put were not the best. I know this isn't the most ideal coin to certify, but my curiosity level is high. If I do get it certified, I will post the result in this thread.

rzage likes this.
  14. rzage

I'll bet it won't go lower than a 58 . But I've been wrong before . lol But usually I'm within a point or 2 .

15. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

My bet is that it will hit MS61, though the dirty fingerprints may knock it to AU58 or even AU55, depending on the tendencies of the authenticator. I have already decided I will get it done by a well-regarded ICG authenticator at a coin show for cheap. Personally, I see minimal contact marks, and the wear, if any, is at most very minimal.

This thread is open to other guesses, though!

rzage likes this.
  16. petro89

petro89 Member

My first thought was AU58. Got too much luster for lower and not enough obvious wear for lower IMO.

rzage likes this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is no way that coin would ever make it into an MS holder. AU 50 at best.
    It's been handled to much.

BUncirculated likes this.
  18. rzage

Larry , could you tell me what you're seeing as I still see this as an AU-58 coin . The fingerprint is distracting , but I'm sure we've all seen them on MS coins , so it can't be that . Also usually when I see AU-50 coins I see hundreds of small circulation marks , something I'm not seeing here .

19. Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips Junior Member

I don't post here often, but have collected for 35 years and will just add my 2 cents here.

At your price you did just fine. I would grade it an AU 50 and possibly a 55 if I were to hold it in my fingers. Nevertheless I would put it in the collection with pride.

Nice Peace!

jolumoga likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin has been messed with to the point that I don't feel it would grade. Better images might change my mind but the luster is dead in different spots all across the coin. It's been worked on.

BUncirculated likes this.
  21. ClarkCoins

ClarkCoins Member

Nice coin :) I love me some Peace Dollars!

Draft saved Draft deleted