What exactly ARE hairlines?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by John Anthony, Jan 2, 2013.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm going through the PCGS grading standards and comparing their photograde pics to various slabs and raw coins, and I'm definitely getting better. But I don't understand hairlines - what are they? How are they produced? Are they just discolorations? Or tiny cracks in the planchet?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hairlines are basically tiny , usually shallow, incluse scratches on the surface of the coin from handling or small amount of circulation. Die polishing lines are similar in low magnification appearance, but they are raised and from abrading/polishing the die , thus they are not wear or damage.

5. John Anthony

Ok, so the standards say that at MS63, you can have a moderate number of hairlines, but the photograde pic of an MS63 Kennedy is covered with them. Or is this considered moderate? Or would these lines turn out to be die polishing marks under magnification?

[​IMG]

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The coin you have in the image is smothered in die polish.

7. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Like Tom said, that's die polish lines on the Kennedy, not hairlines (damage). Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish the two from pics, but in that case it's pretty obvious. Notice how the lines are in the fields but don't run across the devices; that's because on the die the devices are the most recessed regions, so they're almost never susceptible to polish lines.

This Morgan is a good example of extreme polish lines (see the reverse): http://www.ebay.com/itm/1881-S-Morg...63?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19d5e23e93

8. Tom B

As an extension to what raider34 has stated, hairlines will often travel unbroken from the field and then over top of the raised devices and back down to the field again. It is quite unusual for die polish lines to do this.

9. John Anthony

Thank you, gentlemen.

10. Tom B

Please let me complicate matters a tiny bit.:devil: Sometimes, proof coinage will show strong die polish on the devices and this can be with or without die polish in the fields, too. Below is a 1953 proof Franklin half with strong die polish on the portrait that is mostly horizontal within the hair (bald head) portion as well as on the clothes, but is primarily vertical on the face. There is also a little bit of die polish in the field near the date. The reverse shows die polish on the Liberty bell and this is most easily visible near the bottom of the bell on the viewer's left side. Images are embedded, but I have included links for larger images, too. The coin is in an old fatty NGC holder as PF67 and has a CAC sticker, too, so you can be fairly confident that I am not making up the die polish statement.;)

[​IMG]

http://wsm.ezsitedesigner.com/share/scrapbook/23/239107/TBI1953N67W.jpg

http://wsm.ezsitedesigner.com/share/scrapbook/23/239107/TBI1953N67WR.jpg

11. John Anthony

Thanks for the oversize images Tom - that makes the die polish abundantly clear. Why does a die need to be polished? Is it something that's done before planchets are struck, or does it correct some sort of problem in the middle of a run?

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Get a proof coin. Take an eraser, like the one on the end of any pencil. Rub said eraser across the fields of said proof coin. Viola, you have hairlines.

Also, said simply, hairlines are dug into the surface of a coin (i.e. incuse), and die polish are above the surface of the coin (i.e. in relief). Another way to think about it is die polish are lines on the die and hairlines are lines that were not on the die. Yet another way to think about it is the coin left the mint with die polish, but someone or something had to make the hairlines on the coin after it left the mint.

While not always easy to tell in a photograph, they are easy to distinguish in-hand with good lighting, a good loupe, and a bit of experience.

13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

1880.jpg 1880b.jpg

Here is an 1880 Proof 64 Morgan. If you look particularly at the obverse, you can see thin, delicate scratch like lines in the fields to the left and right of Liberty. Those are hairlines.

14. John Anthony

Yes, I can see those clearly. Would that have happened by the coin getting tossed around in a bag?

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In the case of proof coins the dies would be polished before any coins were struck, but after a given number of strikes the die begins to wear and starts to develop the microscopic flow lines that cause cartwheel luster and not the mirror smooth fields of a proof. Back in the 50's and 60's they would repolish the dies to remove the flowlines and restore the mirrors (Today they just retire the dies). Normally the polishing would not get down into the devices but with the big open areas like bust of Franklin or the Liberty bell it was a possibility.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In the case of proof coins the dies would be polished before any coins were struck, but after a given number of strikes the die begins to wear and starts to develop the microscopic flow lines that cause cartwheel luster and not the mirror smooth fields of a proof. Back in the 50's and 60's they would repolish the dies to remove the flowlines and restore the mirrors (Today they just retire the dies). Normally the polishing would not get down into the devices but with the big open areas like bust of Franklin or the Liberty bell it was a possibility.

Sometimes just wiping a coin with a cloth can cause hairlines. The reason for this is dust. Believe it or not a modest portion of household dust is made up of silicon dioxide or silica crystals, otherwise known as quartz or sand. It has a hardness of about 7 which is greater than most metals. o if your cloth has dust on it it is like dragging a piece of extremely fine sandpaper across the coin with the silica crystals leaving very fine scratches behind them.

17. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

An even easier way to get used to die polish marks is to take early memorial reverse dated (BU) lincoln cents -- the 60's were notorious for having tons (and heavy) die polish marks. For the year 1960 you're almost guarenteed to see them on every coin.

Check out http://coppercoins.com/diesearch.php and type in 1960, denver mintmark, mintmark variety and you'll get a bunch of high-resolution, close up pictures of die polish lines.

While most coins do not exhibit such strong polish lines as lincoln cents, they still may exist as thin and light ones.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is something very simple that people always seem to forget - it is extremely common, you could even say it is the norm, for a coin to have die polish lines, and hairlines, and die scratches, all on it at the same time. But more times than not, when a coin is examined they are all said to be die polish lines.

Learning to tell die polish lines, from hairlines, or from die scratches, can be done but it takes a bit of doing. You just have to know the specific characteristics of each to be able to identify one from the other.

And there is a common fallacy about hairlines and deeper scratches that it seems few ever recognize. What I mean by that is this. It is said that die polish lines are always raised on the coin, and they are. The same thing is true about die scratches, they are always raised on the coin as well. And it is also said that hairlines, or heavier scratches, are always incuse on the coin. That is true as well, but it is only partly true. And it is only partly true because any hairline or scratch, while it produces an incuse line on the coin, that very same hairline or scratch also produces a raised line (or lines) on the coin.

Now that may not makes sense at first but it does if you actually take the time to stop and think about it. For example, a scratch of any degree of severity produces a mark like this on a coin - \/. You can call it a gouge, a V, a trough, a trench, anything you want to get the point across. But the end result is that there is a V shaped (or U shaped) mark in the metal of the coin. Metal has been removed by something leaving that V behind.

And this is the part that few ever think about - where did that metal go ? It wasn't taken off the coin and removed from the coin. Instead that metal was merely displaced, it was moved from one spot to another spot on the coin. That missing metal has now become a raised line on the coin. It is right directly alongside of, or on each side of, the V shaped trench - the scratch.

So a scratch, any scratch, including hairlines, produces an incuse line and 1 (or 2) raised lines right alongside of it. And this happens every single time.

The point of all this is that it is all too easy to mistake hairlines and light scratches and then mistakenly say they are die polish lines.

But you can learn to tell the difference between die polish lines, die scratches, and hairlines/scratches. You just have to take the time to do so and always remember that there are differences between them all.

Gimme_More_Coins and Asylum like this.
  19. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I came across this thread looking for some information about this.
    This is why....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Tom B

Proof Franklin half dollars from 1953 are very commonly found with severe die polish. Below is one that I own in an old fattie NGC PF67 holder with a CAC sticker. The obverse die polish matches that found on Franklin's cheek for your coin. Mine also has die polish on the coat, which I would expect yours to have, too, as well as die polish on the Liberty bell.

[​IMG]

gbroke likes this.
  21. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Nice Tom. Your post about this coin is where google pointed me. Thanks for the info.

Draft saved Draft deleted