What do you think?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by digibyte, Aug 28, 2013.

1. digibyte

digibyte Member

What do you think about the color on this copper two center? I've seen this type of coloring before, but not sure if it is a natural effect or man made. I'm not experienced enough to know if this is altered in some way. I did notice that there is some wear to the leaves on the left, but only slight overall wear. I am a little suspect because this same dealer sold a guy I know a colored coin with rim wear as a unc problem free coin. He was a newbie and fell for it. I suggested he ask for a refund even though it was 10 months ago and low and behold they gave him a full refund.

$T2eC16Z,!yUE9s6NGw)SBSDk,u5tOQ~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!qsFH3Ip)VQMBSDk,zg-lw~~60_3.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I see nothing amiss regarding the toning.
    I'd have to poke around a bit but I believe I have slabbed coins with the same toning.
    It's been handled and the natural skin oils make it look like that.

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Beware of GCG...that's all I have to say. I've heard some stories of nicely-pictured coins being received cleaned, scratched, etc...

C-B-D likes this.
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

IMO the coin in the photo looks like it may be AU50. I say "may be" because it is difficult to grade from a photograph & some coin dealers take very interesting photos. If you do not know the dealer, you can do a search for GSC or Great Southern Coins at CT.

C-B-D likes this.
  6. digibyte

digibyte Member

One of the reasons I asked for opinions was because I am leary of this dealer. I know a guy that purchased a coin which was colored and cleaned and they sold it as BU UNC and he didn't really know enough to know the difference. He showed it to a friend and his buddy told him it wasn't uncirulated because there was rim wear and some wear on the leaves and he thought the color looked fake. I like this coin, but I"m going to pass on it because my suspicions of this dealer. I'd rather find a higher grade slabbed coin and pay more to get something more reliable.

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan, good choice.

8. digibyte

digibyte Member

They ended up selling the coin at auction for $100.00.

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Looks like a nice coin to me.

10. digibyte

digibyte Member

It does to me too, but I have some knowledge that this company can be a little sketchy at times. The photos are always great, but the coin isn't. I know a guy that purchased a nice two cent piece which was billed as unc and the photo was really beautiful at first glance. There was definite wear to the rim and leaves and the coin was a suspicious color. I put up a photo and many members were sure it was artificially colored. So it is with great caution that I would buy anything from them. That being said, i suggested the guy return the coin and they did return his money.

Draft saved Draft deleted