Weirdest things about coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Mar 19, 2012.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When I started collecting 55 years ago, the wierdest thing was the wierd things people think up to make coin collecting wierd.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

To me, it was that I was always surrounded by older white men...who could sit, by themselves, and stare at a pile of coins for hours and hours and hours....

4. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

Stabbing is he weirdest. In some ways, it helps the hobby because you basically know what you're getting if you can't observe a coin up close before a purchase.

In other ways, it's destroying the hobby. When you put the standard out of reach of kids' pockets, they'll never get interested. Kids basically can't have the best coins because of all of the money and hassle to slab or buy slabbed.

Personally, I'll buy slabbed here and there, but I like those coins less because it feels like I bought into some other person's idea of what holds value when it should be about how I like the coin.

Plus, when my wife sees slabbed coins, she says, "how much did you pay for that ugly case that hides your coin". She's a smart lady.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree, she's a keeper. :)

6. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I started by buying 5 silver barbers, and was surprised that I had never heard of it, because I am a bit of a history buff, and had to devour more of the knowledge. It is a lifestyle, and an addiction *motions toward username*

7. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

The weirdest thing to me is that coins can change colors and be worth hundreds more!

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I think it is weird that people spend the money to slab modern proofs. They are supposed to be PR 69/70 people. Besides what was the last modern PR70 to be rare? I have collected for thirty years and can't spot the difference anyway. Save your money and let me stop waiting up to eight weeks to get real coins graded.

9. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Yes! I am one of them buying set of Proof 70 ICG DeepCameo UNTONED...After 2-3 years hiding on Safety Vaults I was just suprised all those State Quarters look so differently with ugly colored grey blue black. Here's the Pic. ICG 25c PR70 HI Obv Close up2.jpg ICG 25c PR70 New Mexico Close up upside down.jpg ICG 25c PR70 AK Obv.jpg ICG 25c PR70 OKlahoma Obv Close up.jpg ICG 25c PR70 New Mex Reverse.jpg

10. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Additional Picture of 2008s Proof 70 DCam ICG.

11. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Meaning I can make more money on these natural Toned.
    [​IMG]

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I think that EVERY coin that ICG certifies is a PR70. I'm not aware of what materials ICG used in their slabs, but it may actually be damaging the coins. However, beautifully toned coins do command quite a premium. Please don't be ripped off by those TV salesmen and go to your local coin shop. There is no way that they found 197 perfect proof sets on the first day of issue.

13. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Thank you.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Tiny correction, THEY didn't promise that. PCGS has always slabbed moderns, since day 1. Only NGC refused to slab moderns for many years. And they changed that policy around 2000, can't recall the exact date.

Now both NGC and PCGS did promise to never slab problem coins. And of course both changed that policy. Just like they have changed many other policies to make their customers happy.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And they can change colors and be worth hundreds less.

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What about grading coins a 70? That was taboo as well wasn't it?

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, it was for PCGS, never for NGC though.

Draft saved Draft deleted