Was This Out of Line?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Nice thread resurrection...

It should have ended here:
    ...as this is the equivalent question from the seller's perspective and does a good job of illustrating how counterproductive and possibly offensive the question might be to the other party.

To the OP: Did you ever get a response from the seller or make an offer?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coins776

coins776 no title

how much any seller spent on any given coin means nothing. if a seller buys a coin for $5.00 and then asks $500.00 then that is his right. all you have to do is say no to his offerings and move on.

fiatfiasco, torontokuba and JPeace$ like this.
  4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I have never bought any coins on Ebay using the BIN option, because I have never come across any that aren't above market price. Two of my last three auction purchases had previously sold on Heritage for more. I just bought an MS62 1863 Indian cent for about 20 percent below what it sold for on Heritage a few months ago. The Ebay photos were lousy, and when I matched up the serial number on Heritage I was pleasantly surprised, both by the price and the photos.

5. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

You said nothing wrong OP. If he has a Best Offer option listed, you can submit that however you want, even if it is in the form of a question. If the seller is offended, then he shouldn't list as a Best Offer listing, or, set an auto-decline.

I would bet that not one of my offers has ever been accepted, but it was my accepting their counter-offer to that lowball offer I made that closed the deal. I always make them come down. Its a technique, it works. For example, seller has an item listed at $500. I offer $175 with a message that says, "please accept or counter with your rock bottom final offer and I will pay within 30secs if agreeable", he counters at $380, I accept. I love buying on eBay, because for most coins, there are a few that fit my criteria, and I will chew through all 3 allowed offers on multiple listings until I crack the seller and get a deal. I don't buy a coin unless I get a significant deal. Would I want to sell a coin to me? Not really. But, thats the beauty of eBay, if he needs the cash fast, there is my offer staring right at him.

rzage likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I might try that , as 99% of the BIN listings are wishful thinking on the sellers part . IMHO

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Or the sellers intentionally make their BIN prices outrageously high so that some egotistical buyer can think he got a "significant deal" after employing his master level negotiating skills.

8. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Its funny you said that. I had buyers remorse on a coin I thought I got a great deal on and realized I really didnt want anymore. So I threw it right back up on eBay, and lo and behold, after a few silly low ones, I got an offer for $150 more after fees than what I paid for it. Because the guy offered me $100 less than I was asking, he thought he got a great deal, it covered my cost, and pocketed me some coin. Lowball offers work. But only for those who know what they have/want.

9. Lehigh96

It is kinda like those suit places that mark the price of a $350 suit to $700 and then sell you 2 suits for the price of one.

fiatfiasco likes this.
  10. Slider

Slider Member

I believe Kohls is engaged in a class action lawsuit for exactly that sort of thing.

In my own collecting lately, I've been trying to round out a complete 1932 to 1998 Washington quarter set. I'm down to a few silver quarters remaining, but need some BU clad specimens for the later years - specifically the 1982 and 1983 years. The prices that ebay sellers want for these coins are outrageous....BIN prices at $10 and above for a circulated 1982 washington, let alone something BU from a mint set. I've often thought of making an offer of 25 cents just to make a point to the sellers, but the completed listings show that people can and often do pay these horribly inflated prices. It's crazy.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Paul , but if the buyer knows the coins true worth , it all probably comes out in the wash .Plus if you think I'm egotistical you don't really know me . ;)

12. Lehigh96

I agree that when a coin sells on E-Bay, it usually sells for close to the market price so it does come out in the wash. It just seems that both buyers and seller are only happy if they play this little negotiation game before getting to a fair price. Regarding the egotistical comment, it was not directed at you.:smuggrin:

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted