VALUE AND GRADES OF NATURAL TONED COINS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chance Thompson, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Chance Thompson

Chance Thompson New Member

Trying to get more information on the different types of toned coins and their values and what to look for with different types of toneing on them

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

You're going to have to be more specific...the additional value of a coin with toning is subjective. Obviously higher-graded coins with toning will command more of a premium than lower-grade toners, but it varies from coin to coin.

4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Im not an expert but im pretty sure we need a specific coin to even start discussion... you have one to show us?

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Toning can bring out strong emotional responses from collectors so this is very much a case-by-case topic.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Wow! This topic is so broad, and there are so many possibilities. It's like taking the digits 01-99 and listing all of the different 6-number combinations.

Let's start off with rainbow, crescent rainbow, cat's eye, target toned, Ti-D-Bowl just to name a few, but even more difficult is placing a value on them since there is no pricing guide. For example, my avatar is an 1883-CC NGC MS65. I won this at auction from a good friend of mine. Less than two weeks before, this same seller had one almost identical to it with a similar dispersal of colors. That one sold for $1250, and I won mine for $511.

It all boils down to how many people are bidding, and who wants it the most.

Chris

7. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Check out KryptoniteComics on eBay. His auctions are almost all toned coins. Just keep an eye on how much certain coins end up selling for and what their toning looks like, that will start to give you an idea of what sort of toning will bring more or less money. It will also start to get you familiar with what natural toning looks like.

8. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

That was a steal Chris!

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think so, too! I placed my max bid at $1250 and was shocked when the auction ended at $511.

Chris

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The value of toned coins is all over the place. Just as an example, I have seen beautifully toned Morgan dollars go from $60-2000, depending on the colors, condition, and how the selling market was for the particular coin. Now, we're not talking key or good dates here--for garden variety dates such as 1881s, I have seen extreme fluctuations.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Here is an example of the variety in price for toned coins. These two are the identical grade (MS 64 star) and date. Coin 1:

$(KGrHqR,!o4FHvumeMKwBR9Wb+qzYQ~~60_3.jpg $T2eC16d,!y8E9s2fk3hCBR9Wb82Dv!~~60_57.jpg

This coin, above, sold for $699. Now, I shall upload the other example, also MS 64 * for eye appeal:

574261021_o.jpg 574261048_o.jpg

This coin, above, sold for $253. So there is a pretty wide variance on price based on perception of quality of toning, and willingness to pay.

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

1958 Collage.jpg Hello Chance Thompson,

You might search for previous threads at CoinTalk where "toned" coins are discussed. If you have a toned coin then it would be nice if you could post it for everyone's comments.

Here is a toned Lincoln cent. A bright red proof 67 is a relatively low cost coin. This coin with this toning (slabbed by NGC PF67RB) is probably worth considerably more.

Draft saved Draft deleted