TrueView Lincoln Lover Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by carboni7e, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Put on your grading goggles coin peeps, this is a FIVE coin grading contest.
    Entries are valid until Sunday 3/30 at midnight CST.

Scoring:
    • Off by a grade - 1 point
    • Off by a designation - 1 point
    • Guess a grade and it's Details (and vice versa) - 3 points
    The user with the least number of points wins this!
    [pic coming soon]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe I'm dense, but if the winner who has the fewest points wins, then why would you award 3 points for a correct guess? Conceivably, someone could be off by one grade and receive only 5 points, but someone who guessed all five correctly would receive 15 points.

Chris

4. carboni7e

You get 3 points if you incorrectly guess a grade (MS63) when its Details (or vice versa).

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1. 1916- 63RB
    2. 1917-S 64 BN
    3. 1960- LD questionable color
    4. 1962- PR65 RB
    5. 1909- VDB 64RB (a 65 would not surprise me)

6. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

The way the scoring is set up makes no sense.

7. bsowa1029

1 - MS 64 RB
    2 - MS 66 BN
    3 - PR 64 BN
    4 - PR 66 RB
    5 - MS 65 BN

8. bsowa1029

No, you're not. The scoring just doesn't make any sense.

9. carboni7e

How does the scoring not make sense? The more mistakes you make, the more penalties you get. Just like golf.

Please suggest another scoring system that makes more sense to you.

10. cpm9ball

It would make more sense if the winner was the person who got the highest score. A correct guess would add to your score, and an incorrect guess would subtract from your score.

In your scenario, if the intent is to get the lowest score, then 1 point could be awarded for a correct guess, and 3 points added for an incorrect guess.

Chris

11. carboni7e

Nope. If you guess PR65 RD and its PR61 RB, that's 4 + 1 = 5 points, ouch. If you guess MS63 BN and its Unc Detail - Damage, you get 3 points, ouch.

If I used your scoring system, and guess PR65 RD and its PR61 RB, how many points would I get? How many points would someone get if they guessed PR61 BN?

The way it's setup ensures the winner is a better overall grader, rather than someone getting lucky and getting points only if they get the grade exactly right. The easiest way to do that is to dock points. It's a very simple system that only involves subtracting; not subtracting and adding. And it uses small numbers.

12. cpm9ball

Well, it's your game and you can set it up any way you choose, but I suggest that you be more specific when explaining the scoring system. It may make sense in your head, but how many of the other members are walking around with your head on their shoulders?

Chris

13. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I just decided not to guess. I actually was thinking golf too, but I thought those were negatives. Like if it's was MS65 RD & you guessed MS65 RD you got -3 (like a hole in 1 on a par 4). If you ended up with -15 and 2nd place had -13, the -15 wins. Beautiful coins, but too confusing.

bsowa1029 likes this.
  14. carboni7e

Read the 3 bullet points man. Look at the first contestant's post. How could it get any easier? If you have any intellectual capacity, you can figure it out. I create my first contest for fun, and it's now a thread full of complaining posts.

Also, it's a contest where you guess the grade; not a contest on figuring out the [simple] scoring system.

Someone bump this with an actual entry please.

15. carboni7e

If you guess MS65 RD and it's MS65 RD you get -3? Where did you get that? You would get ZERO points for a perfect grade.

16. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I could have been fun. You came up with a scoring system where you get 0 points for a correct answer. Where else does that happen?? I guess you are the only intelligent person on here as everyone was confused. If I could use inappropriate language, I would. You deserve it buddy.

bsowa1029 likes this.
  17. carboni7e

Wow. I'm giving away a free coin if you just post a grade. That's it. Now, I "deserve inappropriate language"? What the heck?

Apparently you only understand positive addition and not subtraction? Where else does that happen? Let's see, GOLF. I guess they're crazy and unintelligent too. And I've asked several times for someone to come up with a less complicated system for awarding the most accurate grader the prize. No one will answer that. You obviously didn't read why I did it that way and how it makes more sense and is easier to calculate. You get docked for an inaccurate grade. How does that not make sense?

"hurr durr, you only get a point for a perfect guess"

So someone who's only 1 grading point off on each coin gets 0 points, but someone who is terrible on every coin - but nails one of them - is the better grader? Explain how that makes sense.

Getting a mod to close the thread. Congrats RLM on actually posting and not blowing the thread up with useless posts. You win a nicely toned Unc 1909 VDB cent. Cheers and Happy Friday!

18. bsowa1029

The exact opposite. Getting points for a correct answer, you know, the way everything has been scored forever.

19. bsowa1029

Zero points, that's how many.

20. bsowa1029

Correct numerical grade only = 1 point
    Correct color designation only = 1 point
    Correct numerical grade AND correct color designation = 3 points
    1 or more grades off or wrong color designation = ZERO points.

Most points wins.

Simple, easy, and understandable for all of us who aren't geniuses like you.

21. Hallingood

Hallingood Member

I think I am a little confused also.
    Are you using a hyphen or a minus when you use this "-" character? Because the third bullet "Guess a grade and it's Details ... - 3 points" could be interpreted like if you guess it correctly you are minus 3 points. On the other hand, it could also be as simply guessing the grade and details you get 3 points. It does not stipulate if you need to "guess" correctly. Regardless of that it would not be to ones advantage to "guess" as you would get 3 points for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.