Trio of Martha Washington Patterns

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Apr 7, 2012.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

As some of you guys know I have handled one of these in the past... and actually still have it. I really liked it and so I bought more... Makes for a pretty impressive set.

patterns1.jpg patterns2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

4. LostDutchman

5. LostDutchman

6. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Do we know what the N/N stands for?

On another note-

I think all of lost's posts should be have the title a different color. That way they stand out and we all know where to look when we want to see something new. Just today these proofs and the fractionals...

If your store is stocked like your posts it must be like a museum to enter.

7. LostDutchman

The NN piece was made to signify that it was NON Manganese. Since the piece with the manganese and the piece without were the same color basically... they needed a way to tell.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK - warned ya about this. Gonna start calling you Tommy Jr. from now on ;)

9. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

they are about as Un flattering as the bronze medals are.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Really cool coins Matt.

11. LostDutchman

I agree the coins themselves are really not much to look at... But each of these pieces is a Rarity 8 on the URS. This means that there are only 2 or 3 of each of these pieces known to exist... And the 65 and 66 are the finest known examples of their respective patterns. That to me is much more attractive then the coin design itself.

12. GDJMSP

Matt those pieces put you in a unique position as well. And were I you I'd strive to acquire even more of them.

Who knows, perhaps in time the shoes may have to be put on the opposite foot and we'd have to start calling Tommy - Matt Jr. ;)

Besides, such a set sure would make a nice centerpiece for the Lost Dutchman Collection.

And that's not to even mention the benefits of being able to enter such a set in the Display section of all the coin shows you attend.

13. LostDutchman

I had thought about acquiring the other 3 pieces... They however come up so seldomly... That it may not be possibile.

14. GDJMSP

Patience - next to knowledge the most valuable and hardest thing there is for a coin collector to acquire ;)

15. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

By unflattering I mean that almost all images of Martha seen to be from late in her life which is not the best of time for most of us. But that was when the Washington's came into prominence.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'd pay $50 for one... LOL!

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

R-8 on the Sheldon scale, R-2 on the URS scale. R-8 on the URS scale is a fairly common piece.

18. LostDutchman

You are correct. I mis spoke. Its a R 8 on the Sheldon scale.

19. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Is the reeding on those uniform like on modern coins? It appear from what I can tell that it has a section of reeding followed by a section of plain? Very interesting pieces!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted