This book x1000 for Canadian Collectors.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Ripley likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Until you get the think in the mail and find some inane and imagined problem with it.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

shhh lets not upset him. if he stops posting then we will lose out on our entertainment. i like reading what he says,

Kasia likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I totally agree - he is a useful "tool" that satiates our need to torture something now that waterboarding is frowned upon by Amnesty International.:D

Ripley likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I find the "redbook" series to be pretty much the same. Decent basic information, similar to the US redbook. A nice place to start.

However, anyone really getting into a series, such as WL halves or Canadian quarters, is wise to buy a specialty book on the series. There simply is too much information to be covered on any series to ever fit into a redbook, or beginner guide.

I applaud you though Tim for buying books. It the mark of a good collector to realize he needs to increase his knowledge in order to enjoy this hobby more.

longnine009 likes this.
  7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Awwww come on now kids. I like Detectos post. :rolleyes:

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

As much as you enjoy an ice pick in your eye?

Kasia and KoinJester like this.
  9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Who said we didn't also? Really - I like Detecto. :)

10. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Somehow I feel I know Detecto better than anyone besides close friends and family.

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

He's seems to be focusing a lot
    on world coins. Sounds like a
    pretty smart plan to me.

12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Not bashing Tim, only offering constructive criticism. Tim was like I was when I was young. Always trying to get the best "deal", and as a result many times ending up with problem coins.

My advice Tim, and this is with all sincerity. Slow your roll. Try to go to coin shows or learn to buy from some good dealers. Only buy coins you believe you will be happy to own in 10 years. Of course there will be group lots around and you can buy some lots, (I know I do), and have some coins around with issues. However, (and it took me quite a while to get this through my thick skull), its better to slowly acquire some better coins than have huge piles of junk. I am not saying you have to pay $200 for a coin man. Its all relative, but I think trying to get a coin at the very bottom dollar usually leads to letdowns.

Look back at your coins you own right now. Which ones do you keep loooking at? I bet its either high grade examples or rarer issues. This is after just a short period of time. Imagine what it will be like after 30+ years of collecting. The bottom line truth of the matter is the price you pay for something fades in your memory, but QUALITY remains. I am not a condition snob at all, but I find myself looking at my VF-XF Sassanid coins 100 times more often than my F ones. Isn't that what its all about?

Like I said, I post this not as criticism at all, but more for all newer collectors. I read similar when I was starting, and of course did not listen.

rzage, scottishmoney and Collect89 like this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I don't have this book but it looks like it would be a good addition to the library. Thanks for posting it.

I have a couple old Charlton catalogs and a couple modern Charlton catalogs. Sometimes it is interesting (or even necessary) to compare a coin's listings in the old & new books.

Here is an attractive dime IMO. The ship is the Bluenose. The Bluenose was a Canadian fishing & racing schooner.
    Copy of IMG_1177.jpg

Windchild and longnine009 like this.
  14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Basically adding to what medora said earlier - buy quality, not quantity. You see an example of quantity with all the flipping British coins I accumulated a couple of decades or so ago and that just sat untended in bags that were buried under household junk for quite a few years until I excavated them late last week. Sure there are some treasures in that bunch - rare dates, old dates, occasional oddities. But the vast majority of the hoard is just flotsam. Now I am stuck here, after moving onto better things - with a pile of several thousand coins - and the questions of how in the world do I get rid of them.

15. Detecto92

Thanks for advice.

From reading the book last night, I discovered a coin type that I did not know existed, anchor money.

[​IMG]

16. longnine009

Come on now, tell us what it is.

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

What is anchor money?

18. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

As a Canadian coin collector, occasional Canadian coin dealer and columnist for the CN Journal (RCNA's monthly journal) - this is a book that is absent in my library. It might be fine for someone wanting to dive into Canadian coins beyond Krause's book of world coins, but it will never replace the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins. Bill Cross has a relationship with the Royal Canadian Mint that we all would be jealous of. Then, once you really get into varieties, your library will not require an all-in-one book such as this.

However, I digress, because if you want to get someone interested in Canadian coins, this book is a good starting point.

stevex6 and Windchild like this.
  19. longnine009

20. Detecto92

It's way more than an "advancement from the krause book".

The book, while called "the red book", is WAY more in depth that the US Redbook. Grading is far superior, and it even shows you how to spot the different dies used for some coins. Instead of saying "All the letters in liberty are visible", it actually goes into depth on what to look for such as wear on the ear, eyebrows, etc.

It's not THE most comprehensive book, but for someone who collects Canadian in general, or supplements their collection with Canadia (such as I do, since they have the kings and queens on them), it's invalueable.

21. longnine009

Draft saved Draft deleted