Thinking About buying a rainbow toned coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cade, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Cade

Cade New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

rainbow toning adds as much as someone is willing to pay. there is no real formula for getting the value of a toned coin. it all depends on if the market is saturated with coins as well. your best bet is to keep looking for deals. know how much you want to spend ahead of time. there are tons of beautiful toned coins out there. this affords you to be a bit selective. i am not sure what that coin is worth without toning but me personally i would not spend that much on the coin. if it was truly worth it i think someone would have snapped it up already. just be diligent on searching auctions. you will be surprised what pops up ending in the middle of the night. some of the best deals can be had then. good luck on your search

4. Cade

Cade New Member

I appreciate the reply and thanks for the info! I'll try the middle of the night thing as well, I've heard a few people tell me this but have never tried it.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Notice that the obverse photos are at an angle to show the toning, so the toning effect head-on will be much less. To me this would be a marginal premium , if any.

medoraman likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I've seen many offers like the one you shared and guess it really depends on how much somebody is willing to pay for the rainbow toning.

Personally, I would go for a coin with STAR designation as this ensures that coins have no spots, the toning is not too dark, etc. plus the 'added' value if you intend to sell the coin one day.

See http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/scale-designations/plus-star.aspx

7. Cade

Cade New Member

The thing i like about this forum is that if you ask a question, you unlock more info to look into :) can't beat free advice.....on a side note, does anybody know i good guide on detecting cleaned and problem coins?

Pixl Pirate likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

With toned coins, unless you can trust the seller or are extremely knowledgable, but it in person. Coin photography can make any coin look much better in hand than it really is.

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Do you want rainbow or colorful? The coin in question would likely not be considered a rainbow by many, but the term is wildly overused on ebay.

10. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I am one of the people that would pay many multiples of book value for great toning. The coin in the OP I would call nicely toned, but not a rainbow. It looks like it sold for roughly double book value- which to me seems somewhat reasonable. Keep in mind though that many toners need to catch the light at the correct angle for the colors to "pop". Pricing can be tough to figure. It really boils down to what someone will pay. I try to save my money, so that when the right coin comes along (at a reasonable price) I can jump on it. I wouldn't buy a pricey toner unless I could see it in hand or unless the seller has a hassle free return policy. To many collectors paying for color is crazy, but when my favorites are visiting from the SDB my eyes light up every time I look at them.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's no such guide that I've ever heard of. It would take a whole series of books to cover everything you'd need to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted