The one hand tied behind your back challenge

Discussion in 'Contests' started by wiggam007, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Blaked17

Blaked17 New Member

I don't find it very difficult (i've found some rare coins while coin roll hunting) but it's all luck. Don't be afraid to buy LOTS of coins because in the end you trade them back into the bank and get more coins. Good luck! Happy Hunting!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hallingood

Hallingood Member

Thanks for your advise. I think I will start with my local bank and get 100 bucks worth and see how it goes.

4. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

I have a Dansco Liberty Standing Half Dollar Album From 1935 dated 1952 that I have been thinking of filling with circulated halves. I would buy 90% silver dimes, quarters, circulated Franklin and Kennedy halves then trade those for the halves to fill this folder. There are exactly 40 openings in the folder, 36 for each date/mint plus one on the first page to show the reverse and three on the second page to show the Mints Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco. If this will qualify I'll give it a go.

Walking-Liberty-folder.jpg

wlh-1952-folder1.jpg wlh-1952-folder2.jpg

TypicalCreepahx likes this.
  5. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Not interested in the prize, but would just like to share my trades! Traded a few peace dollars for these 2 coins and a GSA 1884 CC morgan !

Attached Files:

6. nicks559

nicks559 New Member

Pretty cool game

7. Ed Sims

Is anybody actively participating? No updates on their progress if so.

Since I didn't get a nod of approval for the set I proposed, it was a stretch that it even qualified, I decided just to fill the folder anyway just to see how long it would take just buying the halves from a gold/silver buyer I know for melt. I am not in this for the prize. That said here is where the folder stands as of today.

The price tag on the top left corner of the second page reads:
    The Emporium / 190 8 / C4 / 25c

50c-1952-dansco-pg1.jpg 50c-1952-dansco-pg2.jpg

Hallingood likes this.
  8. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Hey Ed, that is a nice collection that you are putting together there. You are correct, this contest is essentially over. It never met with the response I was hoping (it was started in response to a thread we had going where there was quite a bit of participation, but nobody seemed really keen on it when I turned it into a contest.) That plus the fact that it would be very easy to cheat in the contest (all one had to do was slowly show an already completed collection they had which met the conditions or purchase the coins and say they were found or traded and they would have been an easy winner) made it so that it wasn't particularly appealing.

Congrats though on getting your set so far complete! My own set that I started in the spirit of this contest is still at three coins (one traded, one found, and one given to me) and I have had to resist the temptation to buy coins to start filling it in.

9. Ed Sims

Thanks. Since I am not going to buy any of these out of a dealers' inventory and just from junk silver bins I'll be keeping the cost at a minimum. The exception is the 1938-D which I will have to pay extra for.

Draft saved Draft deleted