The one hand tied behind your back challenge

Discussion in 'Contests' started by wiggam007, Aug 4, 2013.

1. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Okay, so TypicalCreepahx made a post about this sort of challenge, but I figured what better way to realize it than with a contest. And so, with Creepah's blessing, I bring you a test of endurance, a feat not for the weak of heart or who do not have patience... the "One hand tied behind your back challenge!"

The basic idea of this contest is to start and complete a collection of coins without buying any coins!

Okay here are the rules:

1) Choose a set of coins that you want to collect. It doesn't have to be a standard set or even US but should begin prior to 1938 (if it includes coins after that year it is perfectly fine) and have more than 40 coins total in the set. Please post what set you are starting in this thread. If it doesn't meet the requirements or spirit of the contest I will let you know. I am also going to require that you have been a member for at least 14 days before beginning the challenge just to weed out any new accounts created for the sole purpose of this contest.

To illustrate, someone doing a 7070 Dansco album would be fine since it includes coins before 1938 and consists of more than 40 coins. Another member suggested doing a date set of Lincoln cents that are errors and varieties. The set starts before 1938 and contains more than 40 coins so he is good. Someone who wants to do a set of state quarters would not be eligible for the prize as the collection does not start before 1938 even though it contains more than 40 coins. However, they can still join in and have fun. Similarly, anybody who already has a set going can participate, but won't be eligible for the prize.

2) How you acquire your coins. There are three ways that you can do this:

- Trade somebody! While you can meet people to trade on here, please keep any lists of items you have to trade or specific want lists to the trade forum here or through PM's. Do not post what you have to trade on here as it is against forum policy to have trades on other threads. If you add in cash as part of a trade it will still count as a trade for the purpose of the contest.

- Find it through coin roll hunting! Although this is going to be harder for most of us, CRHing will allow people to get a few coins for their collections. If you are already a CRHer, please refrain from using your prior finds for this contest. The spirit is to go from nothing to a completed collection.

- Get it for free! I don't mean steal it! But if you happen to win a contest on here or maybe a generous donor is giving away some free coins. Either way, if you can get it for free than you can use it for the contest collection. Or trade it away and get something that you do need!

The bottom line: just don't buy your coins with cash or card! The entire point is that you are challenged to complete a set apart from the normal ways of getting coins.

3) Post about it! Part of it is just to keep track of peoples progress and part of it is just to hear all the great stories that are going to come out of trying to acquire these coins, but we want to see whenever you get a new coin for your set! So go ahead and post a pic on here and a little description of how you got it. I will also try to keep a running tally of who is collecting what and how many coins out of coins needed they are at.

4) Have fun! I shouldn't need to say this, but the entire point of the contest is to challenge yourself to do something different. Don't stress out about it and don't rush to the end just to get the prize. Have some fun along the way!

For the prize... I know it is a little lame given the scope of the contest, but I will put up a Morgan dollar for the person who completes the challenge first. I may add in more as we go along or if anybody else wishes to chip in a prize for the feat than feel free. However, the real prize is a completed collection that really took some effort.

I will give a couple of example posts after this to show you what an ideal post would look like. I will be participating, but, of course, I cannot win the prize. Good luck to all those that accept the challenge!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wiggam007

I am going to be doing a set of Walking Liberty Half Dollars. Here is a pic of my album (a little beat up I know, but it will get the job done.) All date and mint marks for a grand total of 65 coins in the set. So if you have a WLH that you would be willing to let go in a trade No offers B/S/T outside of the Advertising forums~ forum rules.
    100_1510.JPG 100_1511.JPG

4. wiggam007

I am cheating a little bit, but since I am not eligible for the prize it is okay :p This is a 1927-s half that I found roll searching ages ago (if you are in the contest you can't use previous finds!) It is actually the only silver half I ever found while CRHing haha. A little beat up, but still a great addition to the set! 1/65!!!!

1927-S OBV.JPG 1927-S REV.JPG

5. wiggam007

Another example post here: This is a 1939-P that I won from the old "Spin it to win it" contests that were so awesome on here! I went for the raw half instead of the graded Morgan to try and get more cash if I hit the jackpot, but didn't end up getting anything. Still, I suppose it worked out since I can use it for this set now! 2/65

1939-P OBV.JPG 1939-P REV.JPG

6. Blaked17

Blaked17 New Member

i want a whole set of mercury dimes (every year)

7. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

That will be hard!!

8. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

Can it start in 1938?

9. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

I won't be participating, but I'm glad you did this contest! And the original post was shut down..

10. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

cool contest. you wont get any winners for a while though :p

11. TypicalCreepahx

Jefferson's I guess?

12. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

I already lost then. I bought a complete folder of jeffrosens, (1938-1961) for $30. woops

13. wiggam007

Nope, it needs to begin before. That is why I set the date when I did is to prevent someone from taking a relatively "easy" set to complete. And I didn't want everyone to be doing the same set because they thought it was the easiest to do.

I know haha. The whole point of it is just the challenge, with a little bit of a reward at the end. I am sure quite a few people have looked at it and said that it isn't worth their time to do it because it will take a lot of effort for what they perceive as not a lot of reward.

For the people who do participate, they will have an awesome set and the person to get it done first gets a Morgan so that is just a bonus. We will see if anyone is even able to do it. I mean, so far we have one entrant who is currently not eligible for the prize since his set is less than 40 coins.

14. arnoldous

arnoldous New Member

It's really challenge the one hand tied behind back then how can he face thanks.

15. enochian

enochian silver eater

i already do this i get most my stuff from trade

16. TypicalCreepahx

Then post an album and post em picks!

17. enochian

enochian silver eater

i cant because some stuff i have to by for my sets so its a mix

18. TypicalCreepahx

I think we should exclude key dates

19. enochian

enochian silver eater

technically if some one gave me a whole roll of wheats of the same year that would be a whole year roll set. actually the only people who could win this would be some one that inherited a whole set. but then that person wouldnt really need a morgan. To bad i cant join this contest i need a morgan for my 20th/21st album along with a peace dollar. my album is almost complete

20. TypicalCreepahx

Yeah,this contest has room for improvement. I just realized someone could just give you them all for free

21. wiggam007

If you read the rules, I have the ability to determine whether or not a set fits within the rules of the contest as well as the spirit of the contest. I would think that it would be a rhetorical question, but a roll of single date coins would not be within the spirit of the contest. The only people who can win this are people who actually take the time and effort to try and complete the challenge, not complain about it.

While I did set some fairly restrictive rules, such as the set starting before 1938 and it containing more than 40 coins to be at what I considered a level playing field and an appropriate level of challenge, I also purposefully left the contest open to many details which would allow people to customize this to the point where they would have fun and find a set they both felt like they could collect but that would also be a challenge.

If you don't feel like a you could get a key date, then don't pick a set which has one in it. This does, to some extent, reward creativity in deciding a set, such as the date set of Lincoln errors and varieties. I mean, if you like dimes, but don't want to do a complete date/mm set because of the key dates, maybe expand it to include another set or do all of the 20th century silver dimes in a date set.

I do feel that specifically excluding key dates does not fit within the challenge because the idea of this is that you end with a complete set. If you have a date/mm set which doesn't include key dates (except in the most extreme circumstances such as a double eagle set's 1933) it is pretty much by definition not a complete set. However, if the person proposing the set could argue that there is still a substantial amount of challenge to completing a set sans certain dates/mm/coins, I would consider that before deciding if it violated the spirit of the contest or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted