The March of Romans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 21, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I may have overdosed on Romans this month: 10 coins - but I've had some exceedingly good luck with auctions lately. Three more arrived today, so I'll post them as I get the pics and attributions edited. I've got three left in the mail, so as soon as they arrive, I'll get a team picture.

That should wrap it up for Romans for a while, but maybe not. Actually, it's highly unlikely, so never mind.

Pautalia, Geta, 189-211
    AE18, 3.6g, 12h; Thrace, Pautalia
    Obv.: CЄΠΤΙ ΓΕΤΑC Κ; bareheaded, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: ΟΥΛΠΙΑC ΠΑΥΤΑΛΙΑC; fourfold coiled serpent, with head erect right.
    Reference: Varbanov II, 5410 (p. 452) var.
    Notes: Varbanov's coin has a laureate head.

geta pautalia.jpg
    I'm not certain of this attribution at all. Varbanov doesn't include a pic with this catalog listing, the head on my coin is bare, and I'm not sure what he means by the serpent's head being erect. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

How about Moushmov 4334:

Pautalia. Geta AE18. L CEPT GETAC K, draped & cuirassed bust right / OVLPIAC PAVTALIAC, coiled serpent, head right.

4. John Anthony

I'll take it! I wish the obverse legend on the left was clearer, but it definitely looks more like L CЄΠT than CЄΠΤΙ.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So you stole my luck!:mad::mad: I want it back, NOW!:mad::mad::oops:

Cool coin, like the reverse.

6. John Anthony

Did the L in your luck turn into F?

Here's a mighty coin, from a mighty ruler.

Trajan, AD 98-117
    AE As, 27mm, 10g, 12h; Rome mint: 101-2
    Obv.: IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM PM; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: TR POT COS IIII PP / S-C; Victory walking left, holding palm branch and shield inscribed S P / Q R.
    Reference: RIC II Trajan 434 (p. 275)

trajan as.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Pretty much. Hoping it returns early next week with another lady I am watching.

Nice trajan!

John Anthony likes this.
  8. John Anthony

And thirdly, here's a denarius of S. Alexander. The obverse is weakly struck on the right, but what I liked about this coin was the extremely crisp, centered reverse. I also appreciate the metaphor of Pax running. We could urgently use some peace in this world, but maybe Pax is running away...

Severus Alexander (222-235 AD)
    AR Denarius, 18mm, 2.27g, 12h; Rome mint: 228
    Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev.: P M TR P VII COS II P P, Pax running left, holding olive-branch and sceptre.
    Reference: RIC IV(b) 80 (p. 76)

salexander.jpg

chrsmat71, stevex6, Gil-galad and 2 others like this.
  9. Bing

All nice coins JA. I like the Geta best, but to have the inscription SPQR still visible on the reverse of the Trajan is fantastic. PAX on the Sev. Alexander still has decent detail. All in all, a good haul.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    John Anthony likes this.
  10. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I agree, all nice coins!
    I like the Trajan/Victory best.

John Anthony likes this.
  11. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Heeeey, a snake! Are you coin stalking Steve also, or are you sticking with Bing?o_O

12. John Anthony

That was a Bing move. I stalked that coin like a cat - didn't even put it on my watch list, just bookmarked it. I tiptoed through the grass until I was an inch away, then I shook my rear end a few times and pounced - put in a very modest bid in the last three seconds. They never saw it coming. Bwahahahahahahahaha!

TIF, RaceBannon, vlaha and 2 others like this.
  13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Excellent new coins, JA. Congrats!!

John Anthony likes this.
  14. Bing

I don't shake my rear end!

15. John Anthony

It's important to shake your rear end, though. And click real hard. The harder you click, the more chance you have of winning.

TIF and vlaha like this.
  16. Bing

I just receive in the mail 5 coins I won for under $30, but I have to attribute them before I can post them. If I remeber correctly, I might have shook my booty a time or two before clicking real darn hard.

zumbly likes this.
  17. John Anthony

Can't wait to see them! I've been hogging this forum. Somebody else post some coins!

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, JA ... man, those are three pretty sweet treats, brother ... yippity, dawg!!

Hey, I hope that your teeth are feelin' better .......

SIDE-NOTE => we escaped from the Portuguese-fest, but I am still applying glasses of vino until the symptoms subside ...

John Anthony likes this.
  19. John Anthony

Here's a better image of the Trajan. I think back-lighting Victory brings out the detail in the wings and garments better. I wonder if the flecks of bright green on the obverse are BD. What do you guys think, and what would you do about it?

trajanas.jpg

randygeki, Gil-galad, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  20. askea

askea Active Member

If the green spots are powdery and rub off it's probably bronze disease. I've had some success with brushing it off and carefuly picking it out of any holes. Then a soak in distilled water for a week followed by a drying in a 1oo degree oven for 20 mins. Then a coating of Renwax or similar while the coin is still warm. This method may darken the patina on the coin however.

21. John Anthony

Ok - I tested the spots with a needle, and they are not powdery at all. In fact, they're rock-hard and don't budge at all. Perhaps I have nothing to worry about.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted