The Impossible mint error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ryanlglass, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ryanlglass

ryanlglass Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ryanlglass

ryanlglass Active Member

The label shows that the coin is an error, yet, a cert look up does not yield a error result. Rather you find a cert for a simple MS RD 1981 cent. It's a mystery!

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

5. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

A mystery which may soon be solved. I sent PCGS a link to the eBay auction listing explaining that the coin assigned the certification number on the so-called error does not match the coin pictured in their data base.

If the labeling on this coin has been altered or the coin was switched they would spot that right away.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. ryanlglass

ryanlglass Active Member

7. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

So both of this guys coins are in fake slabs? How does ebay let this go on so long? Or is this a problem with the PCGS cert database?

8. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Neither. Please... read my link post #3.

9. AWORDCREATED

I read (at least scanned) that before. There seems no resolution to the issue that the holder cert numbers do not come back same coin when looked up. Can you link us up with matching certification?

10. CJinAustin

CJinAustin Member

11. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

interesting....
    I hope this thing gets settled before it sells.

12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Read, don't scan.
    The PCGS Cert Verification database changed after Slab Generation PCGS 8 with 7 digit serial numbers to denote the error.

non_cents likes this.
  13. ryanlglass

ryanlglass Active Member

I think alot of confusion comes from the coin being graded with an RD in the cert, but not the slab

14. AWORDCREATED

Well ... maybe I am having a stroke, or my computer is malfunctioning or something.

what do you see when you go here?

http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/5790411/

shouldn't that be the coin in the listing, or is there a better link?

15. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

One more time... read the CU thread, completely.

16. AWORDCREATED

Regardless of what it says there, I am going to go with my first post in this thread. Is this a fake slab, or how does one look this up at PCGS so that it matches the slab and coin in the listing?

But feel free to point out the definitive portion on that other forum that clears this up. Thanks.

17. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

By what I can tell it appears PCGS did not note on the record that the 1C was on a 5C planchet. They just say it's a 1C on the record, it should say 1C/5C at the very least, so the record online would show there is an error involved.

If I owned that coin, I'd ask PCGS to correct that discrepancy in the database and to note it on the record that it is a 1C on a 5C planchet, simply by noting in the record it is a 1C/5C and that is then self explanatory, especially when reading the record after viewing the coin on eBay. ;)

Just my 2 cents on this nickel matter of a facial only one cent nickel error. :D

Ribbit :)

18. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Slab = Real

Coin = coin PCGS stuck in that slab

PCGS did not label the coin well in the database, that's where the confusion is.

Ribbit :)

19. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

you mean your just putting in your *puts sunglasses on* nickels worth

20. HappyCoins

HappyCoins Active Member

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Try READING this:

You guys need to take a breath before hitting the "fake" button. The coins are clearly genuine, as are the holders. The PCGS Cert Verification database changed after Slab Generation PCGS 8 with 7 digit serial numbers to denote the error. Here is a coin on Heritage that sold, and has the same result as the eBay coins in the OP.Link to Heritage.
    Link to Cert Verification.

Draft saved Draft deleted