The Coin Vault on TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by m. gill, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

Their prices are typically 2X what you would expect to pay for a certain product.

They are good salesman though, if you don't know any better.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree!!!
    :kewl: I had folk do the same thing! one of the funniest one I had offer to is the gold plated State Quarter set from HSN.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

OMG!! Its on right now!! Wheres the remote so i can change the channel!! LOL

5. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

shows

Mike Mezack on HSN will talk about attending the FUN show (with the inference that he is there to buy coins). Has anybody actually seen him at a show?

and why did you let him escape unscathed?

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

7. Gunsnwater

Gunsnwater Junior Member

HSN years ago had nickel dies for sale. The face had a quarter of it ground off, but you could tell it was a nickel die. This was mounted to a round wood base with a nickel under a glass dome. What I got was completely ground off die a nickel from pocket change rolling around. Too bad as I bought 2. One for my nephew for Christmas. I still get their catalog what a joke that is.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ebay would be doing a smart thing if they started showing coin sale commercials during the Coin Vault airing. That would be too cool and funny to boot!!

Attached Files:

• rn2r.jpg
      rn2r.jpg
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
  9. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Lost Dutchman has it right.....it is sad. Many of the people who pay these 3x to 4x inflated prices are seniors. I recently went and looked at a "collection" of coins from a woman whose husband died. All of it junk. Circulated coins sold as something it is not because it is put in plastic. I counted everything up and offered $50 for what they paid hundreds of dollars for (they didn't sell it to me). It wasn't worth a penny more than that.

It is sad. I wish they would get pulled off the air because they are so deceptive in their advertising. One now that I see is a Gold Buffalo $50 coin for $19. It sounds like it is pure 24k gold, but it is clad in a tiny amount of gold. I can see how many are fooled by it.

10. mr boss

mr boss Junior Member

Yes, I was one of them but not again

11. mr boss

mr boss Junior Member

Your, so wright but to the old lady,it was more of an insult and she felt like your where trying to steal them,which wasn't the case just the telling truth

12. mr boss

mr boss Junior Member

Well we all know ebay is thier to make money not spend it ha ha

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

sad indeed. There is one particularly deceptive one from The New York Mint who is "releasing to the public" a special mintage of $50 Gold Unions. The Union was a real $50 coin denomination that was designed but never actually minted.

The ad states that they discovered the drawings for the design of the coin in "the basement of the Smithsonian" or someplace similar, I can't recall exactly, and that they are minting them clad in pure 24K gold!

Now, we all object to the idea of selling plated coins and not really being up front about it, but IMHO the worst part is calling yourself a "Mint" because that's like me starting my own BEP and selling notes that I make myself.

14. T.cavello

T.cavello Junior Member

When I watch HSN coin show,I have to laugh,They lie with a straight face!Why should anyone pay more than double for their coins.

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I think you may have something there.... We could be bajillionaires!!

16. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

The Mikenoodle/Dinger Bureau of Engraving and Printing would like to release the following:

In the vaults of the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing building, we recently found the plates of the Federal Reserve Note $500 demonimation. It was found in beautiful condition and the Mikenoodle/Dinger Bureau of Engraving and Printing is please to announce that we will be offering this note to the public for the first time in over 40 years. This National Reserve Note is sure to become a sought after collector's item. We are authorized only to offer 10,000 of these notes, so hurry! These won't last. A leading Numismatist publication recently predicted that all $500 denomination notes will continue to increase in value for the forseeable future. This is an outstanding opportunity!

Just send $79.95 to the following address:

Attention: Outstanding TV offer
    Mikenoodle/Dinger Bureau of Engraving and Printing
    777 Lost Dutchman Way, Washington D.C.

Absolute limit of 5 per household. Don't Delay!!!!

Silver Boozer likes this.
  17. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

you forgot to add that we are going to cover them in 40mils of .999 fine gold.

18. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

maybe your best bet would be to try and use all that crap they sell as real money.

EDIT: is this some form of counterfieting?

19. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Wouldn't that make them a little stiff to fit into a billfold?

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I like the idea of just the notes on their own, not dipped or clad in metal.

Bravo Bob! Great commercial!!

21. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Mike, will you share some of the thousands of dollars coming your way with little old me?

Draft saved Draft deleted