The Burnside Bracelet/Cripple Creek Love Tokens

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jaceravone, Apr 21, 2014.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

For those of you who are members of WINS, you have undoubtedly heard about the Burnside bracelet from Cripple Creek, but if not then visit the WINS website for the complete story. You can visit the WINS website here... http://www.winsociety.org/newsletter/vol-7/A-Tale-of-Love-Tokens.html. This weekend, John Baumgart, a fellow WINS member will have the bracelet up at the Central States Show at his table. He will be at Table 805 and from what I understand, will be displayed prominently in his case. The owner and the consigner are looking to find this bracelet a nice new home and Kagins is supposed to stop by one day to let them know if they will auction it off or buy it outright. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Very cool anyway, but the Cripple Creek provenance sends it over the top.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Way cool . Joe you coming to Chicago this year ?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I will be up there for the ANA show in August. We must meet up this year!

rzage likes this.
  7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Sounds great , maybe I can cherry pick your coins . lol

8. Burnside_Q

Burnside_Q Member

I am here to claim my bracelet... where can I pick it up? :p

Seattlite86 and jaceravone like this.
  9. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Table 805 at the CSNS but it may cost you some $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burnside_Q and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Beautiful piece

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

I join the consensus, that is just one cool item! Thanks for posting it, Joe! Though, I read the linked story, unless I overlooked it, it doesn't mention what kind of stone is set in that bracelet (I'm definitely NOT a gemologist). Anyone??

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Hey Ken, I am not sure what the stone composed of, nor do I think the owner does either and without some kind of gem test, it would be hard to say.

13. Numismania

Thanks, Joe. When the piece is at the show, perhaps an update to this thread could be done. Would love to know what type of stone it is, though I'm guessing it's the beloved's birth stone.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

If I remember correctly, some theories were passed around such as a birth stone or a stone representing the month of their marriage. Either way, I will keep you posted.

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

This really is an awesome piece; I'm going to be both happy and sad to see it find a new home some day.

16. Seattlite86

As far as the stone, based on one jeweler's expertise, it is likely red spinel. The jeweler said it was "too perfect" to be a genuine ruby and might either be red spinel or possibly one of the earlier synthetic rubies created. I was (and still am) a little bit in disbelief that a man with so much wealth and love for his wife would have used anything but a ruby, but perhaps that's just the romantic in me. I do intend, at some point, to get a second opinion on the stone. The stone is not mentioned in the article because it's still up for debate.

17. Numismania

Thanks for that response! I agree with your 'romantic' side....one would think it would be a real stone, given his wealth, and how far he went, with the bracelet, itself. I can't imagine someone, today, going to that extent (with that kind of wealth) with the bracelet, and NOT putting in a genuine stone. Nowadays, that might be cause for divorce!! lol

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Seattlite86

I couldn't agree more!

19. Seattlite86

To add to the provenance, I handed the gentleman, who will be displaying it at station #805 in the show today, a book titled Cripple Creek Days, which mentions the Burnsides several times, an actual receipt from W.O. Burnside's store, and some newspaper clippings (reprinted from the internet) mentioning the Burnside Mercantile Company and Mr. Burnside's purchase of the Laconing Claim. It's been a real treat resarching this bracelet.

Burnside_Q likes this.
  20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

FYI - Seattlite86 is the guy who wrote the Burnside Bracelet article. Welcome Brandon to COIN TALK!

21. Seattlite86

Thank you for the introduction Joe. I'm probably going to be more of a lurker for posts that interest me, or when I'm searching for coins (which I always am).

Draft saved Draft deleted