Technical v. Market Grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kirkuleez, May 15, 2012.

1. areich

areich America*s Darling

No!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

To me It sure seems like the tpgs standards have loosened , but I'm not sure if it's just my perception of seeing more coins that are not graded to the tpgs own standards or what. Whether this is from a turnover of graders or just the same graders grading differently on various days or a gradual loosening of standards . Plus I'm not sure you can use different aged slabs and judge how tight the grading used to be to how they are graded now . Most of those OGL slabs and early NGC slabs have already had the best coins sent back for regrades and the ones that remain of those old slabs are the low for the grade coins . we can only go by what as I see are too many wrongly graded coins now .

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Let's put it this way Rusty, you can't prove it either way with 5 or 10 or even a 100 examples. It's too big for that. You have to look at it as a whole, not just isolated examples, to actually see it. It's a forest and trees thing.

But consider this - everybody, even those who most steadfastly deny that there has been any change in TPG grading standards, will agree that gradeflation exist. Even Paul.

But how can you have gradeflation if the grading standards did not change ? Answer - you can't.

If you read that interview that Owle posted, you hear it straight from the horse's mouth - TPG grading standards have changed. There are no ifs and no maybes, they HAVE changed. And they are not as strict as they used to be. And it doesn't matter "why" they changed, it only matters that they did change.

And there was another interesting point that was made in that interview. Often, as a way of explanation for gradeflation, it is said that TPGs do not grade coins, they price coins. But in that interview it was stated flat out that TPGs do not "price" coins, they grade them.

Anybody who can read that interview and still attempt to deny or explain away the fact that the TPGs have changed (meaning loosened) their grading standards is merely looking for a way to believe what they want to believe instead of believing the truth that has been right in front of their face the whole time.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Technical grading = using a technical standard, generally written, to come to the grade of a coin.

Market grading = using a more subjective standard to come to the relative rank of a coin based on a predicted market perception of a coin. By ranking coins, they (i.e. TPGs) are essentially pricing them.

There was a time, before the usage of the term market grading, when technical grading WAS market grading. That is no longer the case, as they have diverged. Some might call that divergence gradeflation, others might call it following the market. Using the article posted by Owle (bold emphasis my own):

"As for the coins you think are overgraded, I think that charge applies mostly to generic coins. Unfortunately I’ve seen a lot of overgraded coins from other grading services. You also have to consider our industry’s marketers, for example the ones who complain that MS 65 Saints are liberally graded. Part of that perception may concern flashy 1923-D and 1927 Saints. The market was telling us that it’s okay to have a few more marks on these flashy coins because they qualify to be market-acceptable. Viewed technically, you may be critical of the marks but the flash carries the grade. So, is this gradeflation or a reaction to the market that causes us to adjust?"

All of the above IMO, and, G, you are not the ultimate arbiter of truth. Your opinion is no more or less "the truth" than anyone else's. Perception is reality, and your opinion is just that.

Respectfully....Mike

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They are posted in chronological order:

1) NGC 5 (1992-1995)

[​IMG]

2) NGC 6 (1996)

[​IMG]

3) NGC 7 (1997-2000)

[​IMG]

4) NGC 7 (1997-2000)

[​IMG]

5) NGC 9 (2001-2003)

[​IMG]

6) NGC 17 (2004-2008)

[​IMG]

7) NGC 17 (2004-2008)

[​IMG]

8) NGC 17 (2004-2008)

[​IMG]

Based on your statement in the original post

we should be able to see an obvious difference of either 1-2 grades of coins graded recently compared to those graded back in the 90's. I don't see it and neither do you based on the grades that you assigned.

7. Lehigh96

So you are saying that there is no evidence by examining the coins, yet it exists. Some would call that drinking the kool-aid.

Yes, you can. We have had this debate many times before and I refuse to have it again. Gradeflation is the result of the inherent subjectivity of the grading process in combination with the greed an opportunism of those willing to exploit that subjectivity. It is not the result of a deliberate change (loosening) of grading standards.

What article did you read? The explanation for why coins were undergraded in the early years was because they were pricing coins.

In essence, he is stating that the apparent inconsistencies of early graded coins is due to mistakes made during the infancy of the TPG's, specifically value grading. Your claim is that there is a change in grading standards suggesting that coins were once properly graded and are now being overgraded. The truth is that there has been an evolution and maturation of the grading process and those early graded coins were improperly undergraded and now we have reached the point where coins are graded properly.

8. GDJMSP

You're making up your own definitions Mike to attempt to back your beliefs.

Technical grading was the grading system used prior to 1986. It is explained, defined, and documented, in the grading books written before then.

Market grading is the grading system developed, defined, and documented by the ANA in 1986, and subsequently adopted by PCGS in 1986 and NGC in 1987.

That is not an opinion, those are facts.

Odd, Salzburg says the exact opposite -

"MS: NGC doesn’t price coins "

As I said, market grading did not come into existence until 1986. The term was used then, and it is used now. And it still means exactly the same thing. Technical grading was never market grading - ever. They are two entirely different systems.

And you can call it divergence gradeflation or you can call it following the market. You can call it anything you like. But the simple fact is you merely acknowledging that grading standards have changed.

I never claimed to be the ultimate arbiter of truth Mike. I don't need to claim anything because I am merely quoting Salzburg's words, just like you did. And that last sentence you quoted -

" So, is this gradeflation or a reaction to the market that causes us to adjust? "

How can anyone possibly perceive that to mean anything besides exactly what it says ? I mean, it's written in plain English is it not ? Regardless of whether you call it gradeflation or you call it a reaction to the market - it still means the same thing. There was a change in the grading standards. The man says flat out that they adjusted, what else is an adjustment but a change ?

And the man further confirms and admits that the grading standards changed with this comment -

"Over time there also have been factors that effected the perception of grading. Some say it’s gradeflation but I call most of it a learning curve'

Again, it is not my opinion. Those are his words, in plain English. And if you ask me it's pretty to hard to argue that grading standards have not changed given those words.

9. Lehigh96

To use your words, "It's a forest and trees thing."

In plain english, he was explaining a specific adjustment made by the TPG's that affects a very small portion of the coin population. I have listed a few of these adjustments in post #5 of this thread. The ones I listed were:

1) Allowing for roll friction and grading a coin with high point wear MS
    2) Value grading for rainbow toned coins.

All he did in his statement was point out another small adjustment.

3) Grade bump for a coin with superior luster.

So instead of focusing so intently on his one example, why don't you try seeing the forest for the trees.

10. Leadfoot

Those are "facts" that you have chosen to support your position, and they are not in conflict with my own definition of the terms. We are both picking and choosing those parts that support our position -- we are each defining the terms how we see as best -- and you are no different than I in that regard.

That's why I used the word "essentially". Please take a look at the (modified) definition I proposed above and repeated here:

"Market grading = using a more subjective standard to come to the relative rank of a coin based on a predicted market perception of a coin. By ranking coins, they (i.e. TPGs) are essentially pricing them."

In your world, where you get to define terms or choose who you look to as an authority, that may be true. In my world, things are different. Who's right? Both of us!

The point I was trying to make is that technical grading was the way the market graded coins before market grading was a term.

As an aside, EAC grading, a type of market grading I would argue, was used far before 1986.

Did I ever suggest grading standards haven't changed? I don't think so.

In a way you have. On multiple occasions you've presented things as "the truth" and argued anyone who disagrees is incorrect. You've chosen parts of the article as evidence that support you're opinion as "the truth", when it is really only your opinion. I have done the same (although I try hard to not portray my opinion as truth). In the end, each of our perceptions (e.g. opinions) are reality, and, with all due respect, you do not get to decide whose opinions are "the truth" and whose are not. Perception is reality, and each of our perception is different. It's part of the human condition, and, IMO, you would be wise to consider that before suggesting your view is "the truth" and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Again, have I suggested that standards don't change? I cannot recall those arguments coming out of my mouth or fingers -- and I certainly haven't espoused that position in this this thread -- but then again, I've posted a lot over the years and my memory is hardly perfect.

Respectfully...Mike

11. GDJMSP

Please show me where I said anything at all like that Paul. Yes, the coins are most definitely the evidence. The coins are precisely the evidence that made me first notice the changes in grading standards taking place.

What was saying Paul is that by using 5 examples, or 10, or 100, neither you nor I can prove anything. We can't even indicate anything with that few examples. I am saying that if you look at a forest of trees, and can see a group of 100 pine trees and nothing but those 100, you cannot then say or even think that the entire forest is composed of pine trees.

I am saying that looking at all coins overall, thousands and thousands of them, graded before a certain date. And then looking at all coins overall, thousands and thousands of them, graded after that date, that you can see a definite change in the grading standards.

Paul, don't you find it odd that those 2 paragraphs of yours directly contradict each other ? In the one you say -

"It is not the result of a deliberate change (loosening) of grading standards"

And then in the next you say -

"The truth is that there has been an evolution and maturation of the grading process and those early graded coins were improperly undergraded and now we have reached the point where coins are graded properly."

How can those, what you call, undergraded coins be properly graded now unless the grading standards were intentionally loosened ? If a 63 becomes a 65, or a 65 becomes a 67 - what else do you call that other than an intentional loosening of the grading standards ?

And like Mike, did you completely miss where Slazburg said - "NGC doesn't price coins " ?

12. GDJMSP

Well Mike if you are not disagreeing with me then I apologize. My premise is very simple - I believe that the TPGs have greatly loosened their grading standards in recent years. Over the years that you and I have talked and discussed things, it always seemed to me that you disagreed with that. That perception of mine is what causes me to take the things you say in, shall we say, a certain way.

Am I taking them the wrong way ? Based on your last comments it seems that maybe I am.

As far as the truth goes Mike, it has always been my belief that there is only one truth. Truth is not a matter of perception, ever. That's because truth deals with facts, not opinions or perceptions. I will readily agree with you that there are almost always those who may have different perceptions of is true and what is not. But that is usually because they do not have all of the facts or they are mistaken in a particular belief. And never can those perceptions change what actually is true.

13. GDJMSP

Happy now ? :)

14. Lehigh96

Well, if he is going to admit that they deliberately undergraded coins in the early days of the TPG in order to value grade them, then NO, my statements are not contradictory. Their grading standard dictated the coin was an MS67 but they slapped an MS65 on the label in order to satisfy the current price guide. Once they evolved, they stopped value grading coins which necessitated the undergrading. But the whole time, the coin was an MS67 and there was no change in grading standard.

Did you completely miss my entire post? I am going to provide two different quotes from Salzburg.

When he says "NGC doesn't price coins" he is speaking in present tense. When he says "We were grading based on value as well" he is speaking in past tense. It means that NGC used to value grade coins but they don't anymore.

15. Leadfoot

I do not disagree with that, outside I might argue the "greatly" part. To the contrary, I would argue that market grading as practiced by the TPGs, does change over time, as the market changes.

And thank you for the acknowledgement. :)

In hopes of not going too far into a philosophy tangent, I agree, there is only one truth. However, I would argue that for humans there is no truth outside perception. Humans cannot experience "truth", but only their perception thereof. Now, we may argue, as in this thread, whose perception is closer to the real truth, but we'll never really know.

By way of example... For millenia, the Earth was thought to be flat. It was the "truth" of the time. Eventually, we figured out it was round. "The truth" was refined, and the world being round is now the generally accepted "truth". Did the truth change, or did our perception of the truth change? Will we figure out, in a future time, that the Earth is really defined in four dimensions rather than three or two? Who knows, but each of us will be convinced by our perception that we were each espousing the "truth". Perception is reality. There is no truth outside perception for we as humans are bound by it. As they said in the Matrix, a wonderfully interesting movie that goes into this aspect of perception and reality, "There is no spoon".

There is no right. There is no wrong. For humans, it's all opinion formed through perception, and refined through time with experience. The truth is out there, but we as humans will never know it, even though we often are convinced we do.

Sorry for the tangent. :)

16. GDJMSP

You can slice it and dice it any way you want Paul but the bottom line is - grading standards have changed.

17. Lehigh96

Yes, they have! I have listed 3 different ways the have changed in post #28 of this thread and I am sure there are others. But the changes that have taken place are not tantamount to a "deliberate loosening of grading standards".

18. Leadfoot

I think you two are essentially saying the same thing. Paul is arguing market grading allows for change. G is arguing market grading has changed. I think you are both right in your own way.

19. Lehigh96

Mike,

I don't dispute that there have been changes made with respect to grading by the TPG's. My problem is when people claim that the TPG's simply loosened their standards in order to increase submissions.

20. GDJMSP

Never in my life have I ever said the TPGs changed grading standards to increase submissions - never ! As a matter of fact I have never proposed any reason for their changing grading standards.

All I have ever said is that they changed them, and that they changed them by intentionally loosening them.

21. Leadfoot

Intent is always difficult to ascribe, whether we're talking about AT/NT or gradeflation.

G, is it possible that the market changed and the TPGs went along with them, and this is what has caused what you describe as loosening -- or are you arguing that they simply diverged from the market and loosened their standards (for a yet to be defined reason)?

Getting past that, and presuming for a moment that you're correct that they intentionally loosened their standards, what reason would you propose was behind their intent?

Just curious...Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted