Strange UFO coin from 1680 puzzles the experts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jazzcoins, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Just as many other ways to interpert the bible ,or an abstract painting

I have only one interpertation and that is a UFO but that;s me you may thing it;s a flower somebody may think it;s a top.somebody may think it;s a cloud etc etc

I personally think these coins were to show a significant event of some kind so the only explanation to me would be a ufo sighting I think the individuals in those days didn;t no what they were encountering so they had to interpert them on coins ,and caves also ,as objects in the sky.

Jazzcoins joe

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Well maybe you should try one and see if you turn to gold or maybe be into an alien form

Jazz

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'm not saying what it is or isnt, I'm just curiuos about all the possiblities.

5. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

there's only one possiblity it's a ufo why do you think the object is hovering in the sky on the coin. What other object that is round that does that they didn't have planes in those days did they. I don't think it was santa clause either his sled is not round. All kidding aside the object on the coin is a

jazz

Attached Files:

• ufo.jpg
      ufo.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

The words on the coin, "vingt mille lieues sous les mer", translate word for word to "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea", another book by Jules Verne. The object on the coin is a representation of the submarine from that book. Hardly a UFO.
    [​IMG]

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I admit that there are strange things and i cant explain ,
    [​IMG]

but some we can
    [​IMG]

this is very cool but very man made.

I Have absolutly no idea whats on the coin though. some say its a mushroom, and umbrealla, a weather vein ( i dont see that one though)
    no clue what it is :)

and how do you know its not santa??? C_c

:D

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      2.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think it's a bit closed-minded to presume that the images on the coins can only be depictions of UFO and nothing else. I am not familiar with the location, time, culture, or intent of the people who produced the coin, but to me they are probably metal shields, particularly since there are arrows flying at one of them. Maybe it was an image depicting the protection of the people by the government. Maybe some creative people even circulated stories about meteor hits that were really visits from angels or demons or whatever their imagination cooked up. I just don't know. But alien spacecraft would be pretty low on my list of guesses.

Also, keep in mind that the people who minted these coins had essentially the same brain that we have, and it wouldn't be unusual for them to watch shooting stars, dream of flying like birds, fire people out of cannons, write fictional stories, and draw pictures of that sort of fantasy.

9. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

People have had imagination since the invention of consciousness. The wheel on the coin could represent any number of things. Maybe it's a UFO, I don't know, but if it was a UFO there would very likely be contemporaneous accounts. A huge wheel-like thing emerging out of the sky, especially if it was put on a coin, would likely have made the papers. It would today. If you search the papers from that time and find absolutely nothing, chances are it's symbolic.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

People back then didn't even know there were other worlds, let alone possibly beings on them. The idea that whatever it is on those coins might be a UFO is ludicrous.

11. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I really hope your not serious with that statement GD, There have been astromoner's around before the 15 century ,planatory systems were discovered even earlier around the late 13th century by an astromoner by the name of Nicolaus Copernius in 1473 and i;m pretty sure when discoveries were made they must have put them in the paper and there are probably no records of such events. That is only one astromoner there were many more so people new about other worlds in our solar system mars, saturn ,etc. So it's not ludicrous.

What The thread is about that the experts are puzzled what the coin represents a possible UFO sighting is a mystery I ask myself what is the significance ,why would there be an unknown object floating in the sky on a coin in the late 15 century . I know there was no such term as UFO's in those days that's a modern term. The individuals did not know how to interpert a unknown object in the skys they would say fiery object, wheels etc etc etc etc Now if the term was not born in modern day time UFO's we would call it something else too.

All I have to say these objects have been seen way way way back in the skys and there has to be a logical explanation for it which my conclusion stands are UFO's. I have been researching and reading up on this subject for many years Hundreds of books . I'm a firm believer of other life forms on other planets I just have an open mind and i'm glad I do

Jazzcoins Joe

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think this is a subject that cant be defined absolutely one way or the other, and I think we should be both objective and open minded and not so quick to condem others weather they believe or not. :hug:

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I am well aware of Copernicus and Galileo Joe. But perhaps you are unaware that the writings of both of these men were condemned and surpressed. The men were convicted as heretics and even sentenced to death (sentence never carried out though). Their writings were banned, ownership or possession of their writings could end up with you being dead.

Add to that, 99.99% of the worlds entire population could not even read at the time and had never heard of either of these men. And those few who had heard of them were scared to even utter their names.

So no Joe, people did not know that there were other worlds out there at the time these coins were made.

14. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I know it's pointless to argue "truth" with a UFO believer so I'll do no more here that offer this link http://translate.google.com/transla...earch?q=arte+e+ufo&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en (go to Part 7) to the site I referenced before. The previous link was in Italian which apparently no one here reads. This link is to an English translation. Read it with an open mind; I doubt that it will change anyone's mind but at least it is a more scholarly essay with references and more convincing than simply saying the coin shows a UFO.

15. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I would have to say that is highly unlikely that more than 90 percent of the worlds population could not read at that time where did you get this information from please give me the link? I would say that statement is out of this world/ What you are saying the planet was a bunch of illiterates then.

Now as far as the astromoner he was not the only one around at that time . I could understand why they would try to condeme him and put him to death by making discoveriies of possible other worlds , then peoples minds would open up and believe that there may be other life forms and posiible UFO's which were considered objects then and may cause a form of choas.

When they started tallking about putting a man on the moon I thought that was a fantasy until it happened. Well I'm not trying to make others believe that these objects on the coins are indeed a UFO or believe in them in general I woulld say through, if you would ask people today if these objects are UFO"s ,and are visting earth today ,and are inteligent life forms ,I would say 80 percent would say yes ,and the truth will come out one day.

Jazzcoins joe

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think 90% is a pretty good working number for illiteracy in the middle ages since about that percentage of the population were probably serfs or subsistence farmers who never saw or owned a book. But more importantly, if the elite who controlled what got onto coins and paintings were that aware of alien visitations, you would have thought the artists or engravers or sponsors or someone would have written it down in their papers, letters, etc. or that the Church would have been out there persecuting the sects that believed in aliens. But it just didn't happen.

17. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

while I am not going to dig up a link... In the middle ages acadamia was the realm of royalty and the clergy only. Most other people simply worked manual labor and never learned to read or write...let alone study the stars. This is just common knowledge. People would be read TO by the few who could read...or they would tell stories that were told to them..oral tradition. The literacy rates of the ancients like the Romans was much much higher.

During the 11th century, universities were established in some cities in Europe and more people began to learn how to read but still, in the end, it was a very small proportion in relation to those who could not. In the Middle Ages, when literacy in Europe was largely restricted to the social elites and clergy, ‘illiterate’ was almost synonymous with ‘layman’

Although by the time the 'UFO' coin :) was minted, literacy was on the rise....still the lions share of people could not read or write.

18. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

When I read the evidence about the populartion then I will believe that statement but until there's proof I just don't think it was that Many percentage it;s just not realistic to me and not logical to me maybe 60 percent at the most.

Now if there was at least 60 or even 70 percent there was still room for interpeting ,and maybe the very few individuals that did have the knowlege to write or read were the ones that could explain something if they had an encounter with an object in the sky ,such as the one that made the coin.. Nostradamus was around before those times and he was a scholar . get the drift

Jazzcoins Joe

19. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Do a search on the internet regarding literacy in the middle ages...70% is far too low, you can not accept it, but it is simply true...most people were serfs, there were no universities and no public education. Even after universities came into being, only the very wealthy were able to send their sons to one...the plain fact is, people in the middle ages, by and large were illiterate...if you think about the structure of society back then, it would make perfect sense...you had 2 main classes, Royalty (elite) and serf....the great majority of the population in Europe were serfs...and uneducated...

...and a quick correction...we are not talking about the whole population of Earth...we are talking middle ages Europe....other cultures at the time were not quite the same...but if we are talking Europe...indeed most were illiterate...and I dont see why that doesnt make perfect sense.

Michel de Nostredame was from a wealthy family.

20. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

"...most people still could not read in 1300" Medieval Europe: A Short History by Judith Bennett and C. Warren Hollister, McGraw Hill, 2006.

The rest of the textbook tells how, in the Early Middle Ages (AD 500-1000), literacy was rare even among the noble class and was confined almost entirely to the clergy. The rates of literacy did, however, rise and fall with the economic fortunes of Europe. Higher during the prosperous Central Middle Ages, dropping down again after the plagues and famines of the 14th-15th centuries. With rise of the urban middle class at the start of the Renaissance, literacy rates rose higher than they had been since the Roman Empire. But keep in mind, this was often only partial literacy and nothing at all like the competence one would expect today. Much more important than literacy was numeracy, being able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.

21. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

A bit ironic that you're the one demanding proof here, isn't it? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.