Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

:thumb:

And these can be framed, hung on the wall and admired instead of being locked up in a STB.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Okay, time for something new and different...or old and different. This would qualify as a forerunner card, I picked it up about 10 years ago. It was issued in 1876 for the Centennial International Exhibition--our first world's fair. It includes seals from all the states (38, including Colorado which snuck at the last minute) and all the presidents. It measures 8.5 x 9.75 inches. American Bank Note Company printed this one for The Dwight Company, which gave them away as souvenirs to visitors. I also know of another version, which differs only in the company name.

These are not rare, but they aren't common either. You'll see them on eBay and in auctions and sometimes currency dealers will have one as an eye catcher. Depending on condition they can run $100 to $250.

Attached Files:

ddollard58 likes this.
  4. krispy

krispy krispy

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen one before. :smile

5. Art

Art Numismatist?

Nice souvenir card. I haven't seen that one before. :thumb:

6. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Very Nice Greg! I was very happy to win this one today. :) Finally crossed another one off the list. I will post better images when it arrives.

c2f1_12.jpg

ddollard58 likes this.
  7. krispy

krispy krispy

Whoa! Very cool! Even signed by Donna Pope, a former Director of the US Mint!

US Mint link

8. USS656

A couple close-ups :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ddollard58 and WingedLiberty like this.
  9. krispy

krispy krispy

this is a tremendous piece, a huge engraving and so many levels of detail! very nice

10. USS656

Thanks Krispy, :) the 1st time Bob posted his I put it high on my must have list!

11. gsalexan

I really like those shield cards and I've got the green one, too. They printed 2,500 of this one. They were also issued in brown (2,365) and blue (2,500). Those are low printing numbers relative to other cards. If you have the holder it was issued in could you post the details on the engraving?

Interesting that Donna Pope signed this, since the Mint has little relationship with the BEP. I'll bet she was at the 1988 FUN convention where it was released.

12. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

13. coinmaster1

For those who bought their cards on eBay: what did you type in the search to find the cards that you did?

14. gsalexan

Just search for "souvenir card" in quotes and don't limit the category. Or if you just want currency cards, search in Coins and Paper Money.

15. ikandiggit

Souvenir Cards will get you started but I've also found them listed as "cards", "replica" "copy". When you find one, check the seller's other items because he may have quite a few for sale.

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Souvenir Cards, ANA, SPMC, FUN, BEP

17. ikandiggit

18. krispy

krispy krispy

19. coinmaster1

20. USS656

That is exactly what the seller claimed. He met her there and she signed it for him. I would like to get the Blue at some point but didn't want to let this one pass. Thanks

21. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well I got a lot of them coming!!
    We'll see what they look like in hand :D

Draft saved Draft deleted