Sleeper Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Any coin at all can be a sleeper and for practical purposes the term "sleeper" is just a coin that might experience large increases in demand. Of course future demand for a collectible is always unpredictable. One can merely look at current trends and project forward.

Barber coins and dimes are highly desirable coinms from an era that has never gotten as much attention as might be warranted. The coins mostly just got worn out in circulation and would be rare in nice condition today except many were set aside in unc. But the decades of attrition has reduced and degraded these coins so that the main thing standing in the way of higher prices is just that demand isn't as high as the older or newer coins. One of their weaknesses is that the keys are very high priced even in lower grades which will discourage some from attempting sets.

I'd agree they are sleepers and probably will have their day eventually but it may not be soon. The dimes are easier so they might be more affected though it has the '94-S stopper.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

People vote for all kinds of reasons. I voted for Hillary in hopes of a 4-coin set: Bill/Hillary, Hillary/Bill.

4. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

5. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

First, there is the this crazy idea that coins are an investment vehicle. For the current issues (Roosies, Washies, Frankies, etc.) silver melt is the selling price. If you think otherwise for the next 20 years, please get over it.

Secondly, prices for Barber coins are way, way overpriced. I don't know how many articles I've seen about Barber coinage and it's all related to mintage figures. The big PROBLEM is that NO ONE is collecting them any more. So WHO cares if only 100,000 were minted if no one wants them?

It's a poison pill. But some people don't want to hear it. And unfortunately, the barber coinage represents the "classic" US coinage.

Boys and girls, the collectors just aren't out there.

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Good points, but I gotta say...(imho) there is no coin more beautiful than the reverse of a Gem BU Barber dime. Whenever I see one on eBay at a reasonable price, I scoop it up! ...can't help myself.

7. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Took me awhile too, but I found a 1909-D that I liked... now I just need to find a nice 1909-S and I'll be really happy. I think Barber Dimes in the higher grades are much more affordable than Barber Quarters or Halves that have comparable populations, but I would not call them sleepers.

Here's my 1909-D dime, not the best pic though:

[​IMG]

I would have said the 1908-S Indian Cents were sleepers if you asked me 12-18 months ago, but those have really caught fire and have basically doubled in price in the past year in many grades. Still an undervalued coin in my opinion, but no longer a sleeper.

I like the 1996-W dime, but there are so many of them and they are all in great shape; it'll never be worth a ton because of that... same story for the 1994 and 1997 SMS Nickels and the 1998 SMS Half.

I think high graded Brown Wheat cents could still be in the sleeper category if you can find them priced right at a show, but in an auction it can go either way and if the wrong folks are watching the auction, they can go for moon money!!!

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think Condor Tokens are sleepers. They have incredible designs and most are from the 1700's. Additionally, they are readily available in mint state grades and are extremely affordable given their age and condition. It would not take a huge boost in collectors to cause the prices of these tokens to start to rise. If anyone in a position of power in numismatics started an ad campaign, I think they could skyrocket in price. Personally, I hope they don't. I consider them a numismatic treasure at their current prices.

9. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

1982 No "P" dime

10. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

from the mouths of babes ...

I would agree with a couple of previous posters in this thread:

Sacagawea
    2004 P ,D & S through 2005 P , D & S

Plus they are pretty and people with bad vision mistake them for quarters :p

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I agree, but have only found them in lower grades on eBay. I really like the ones you've posted...where do you find them?

12. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i believe half cents are. theyre about as historic as any other us coinage yet theres many high grade pieces to go with low mintages. the "perfect storm" if you ask me.

13. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

how about the three cents coin? Has anyone heard anything about them??
    I would say 2 cent coins ha dhigh mintages not much interest.
    Three cent coins also had some low mintages.
    But the real kicker would the three cent nickel. early dates had a couple million minted. later dates had less minted,
    And looking at it haklf of the years it was minted it had less than 100,000 minted!
    Im leaning toward these puppies, plus I have only found a few three coins nickels, but when I do see them I snap them up ASAP.

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

A while back, I reviewed a number of Red Book price guides going back to 1953. I plotted coin prices over time for a few series. One trend I noticed was that there seemed to be a price spike for most coins in a series around the seventy (70) year mark.

In 2005/2006, I found I could buy OBW rolls of silver coins from the late '50s and early '60s for melt! ...which I did! They've seen a pretty nice price jump due to commodity prices...but I expect to see another, even greater, price jump in the next 10-20 years.

That ship has pretty much sailed so I've been looking for the next "sleeper"...which is why I've been spending time lately cherrypicking the very highest grades of early ('60s and '70s) clad coinage.

These coins have been the "red-headed step children" from Day #1. Clad coins don't hold their value like silver coins and there just weren't as many premium, business-strike clad coins saved.

This might be an area worth investigating for some of the younger collectors...2035 is just around the corner! (2035 - 1965 = 70) :thumb:

15. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

I believe a good sleeper coin would be 1914 Barber half 124,610 minted! PCGS prices it at 160 in G4 today. The 1916-D is 1,100 in G4 264,000 minted that year.

16. hiho

hiho off to work we go

Conder tokens were definitely sleepers but judging by the recent Goldberg auction results they appear to be wide awake now. Rats!

I think that Swiss Schutzenfest (Shooting) Medals from 1900-1935 are sleepers IF you can find them.

Imagine a silver US coin with super high relief details and a mintage of less than 100. Thousands of dollars probably.

Here is a medal with a mintage of 78 struck. Not 78000. 78.

[​IMG]

Here's another with a mintage of less than 300.

[​IMG]

Just my opinion.

17. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

=========
    That's why when I bought mine it cost a little more but I got a PCGS MS66 FB.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

All right now we're up to:

96W dime - The Noost
    No S dime - The Noost
    all the Roosevelts in higher (reasonably high) grades - Art
    31D Mercury - Just Carl
    1998 SMS silver Kennedy - TopcatCoin
    nothing - Pocket change
    1990 NO S Proof Lincoln Cent - bhp3rd
    1999 Proof Anthony Dollar - abe
    1997 P Jefferson Nickel in matte proof - JJK78
    2009 p dime in ms66 - davemac
    Modern commemorative, Specifically Dollars - BUBAGS
    Deep mirror proof like morgan - cerdsalicious
    '82-P quarter in near gem - cladking
    Anna Harrison First Spouse gold coin (proof or unc) - yakpoo
    Liberty Quarter Eagle from 1890 to 1895 - omegafactor
    Any bulliion nickel - sunflower
    1880-1888 Philly minted Seated quarters - PFCBEGA
    Non-U.S. coins from 1950 and back - dctjr80
    pre 82 commems w/ low mintages - ddoomm1
    1994 and 1997 nickels - bqcoins
    Barber dimes 01s and 13s nice ones - Victor
    1994 and 1997 nickels - Paddy54
    Poo Poo'd it all - Pocket Change
    Brown Wheat Cents - Illini420
    Conder Tokens - LeHigh96
    1927s SLQ - Duke
    1982 No "P" dime - ML94539
    Sacagawea 2004 P ,D & S through 2005 P , D & S - kangayou
    Half Cents - Lugia
    3 cent nickels - cerdsalicious
    early ('60s and '70s) clad coinage - yakpoo
    1914 Barber half - Breezo
    Swiss Schutzenfest (Shooting) Medals from 1900-1935 - hiho

Well now...that alot of sleeping going on :D
    After relooking at the posts I'm thinking that we all are believers in sleepers as it's looking as most of us collect what we think might be sleeping.
    Just a theory that I threw together!!

Lets see some more people chime in...

19. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

How come I didn't make the list? The holders I recommended do have coins in them!

20. grizz

grizz numismatist

.....1927-p peace dollar
    .....1935-p peace dollar
    .....1926-s buffalo nickel

21. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

The way from which I think on determining a "Sleeper" is to very closely watch what is "NOT" on the dealers tables at coin shows. Keep a mental note of these coins that you are not seeing. Then when they start to show up taking up space that means people are asking for these coins. Because if people are not asking for a certain series of coin they will not take up space on a dealers table. because that table "Real Estate" is limited and it all needs
    to make money for the dealer.
    I have been seeing a certain series showing up in Large numbers on dealers tables at shows and in displays in coin shops in the past year,that I have never seen in these places in large numbers ever. So I have been picking them up in the higher grade conditions. It has been quite an adventure.
    My son and hopefully one day grand kids will be very happy in the years to come. For me I'm just feeling like a kid in a candy store and having fun:eat:

Stewart

Draft saved Draft deleted