Slabbed Mexican coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I purchased a coin that was in a slab despite the fact that it was in a slab, not because I wanted it that way. I am not a slab snob and am not interested in grading. All of my coins are in 2x2s and I like them that way. Anyway, this is graded by National Numismatic Certification, and I feel like that's not even a legitimate grading company. So the question is, is there any reason for me to keep the coin in this slab? And if I want to remove it, how would I do that safely?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

There are youtube videos that show how to crack out coins.. I have never done it but one method is to wrap the slab in a towel then strike it on the edge with a hammer. The seal should be broken, then you pry it open carefully....

4. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

5. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

It does protect the coin. I would keep it, in the slab. I have found NNC to be in the ballpark with their grades.

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think you've made your decision already :)

stevex6 likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

I suppose I can leave it for now and always open it later. I don't like having to keep it separate from the other coins though.

9. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Best method for cracking that I have seen is using a vice. Just place the coin holder between the jaws and with towel wrapped around and slowly tighten. Go both long and shorter ways if you do not feel the seam pop from side to side. Careful of flying plastic.

BTW, got a pic?

10. Hiddendragon

My scanner doesn't deal well with the slab, but here is a blurry scan. It might not look like much but it's a key date. 1954 Mexico 5 centavos. Scan.jpg Scan2.jpg

chrsmat71 and Ripley like this.
  11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Nice Grandma -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

chrsmat71 likes this.
  12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I've used bolt cutters on PCGS slabs (just cut slightly into the "bubble" where the coin is: Should create a crack across the bubble, which you can then swing open). Towel and hammer on NGC slabs.

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'd leave it I think, unless you really want to touch it...then set it free.

Draft saved Draft deleted