Sending a coin in for PCGS restoration service. My first attempt.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Apr 21, 2014.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK...that makes sense now. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

So that's why the PCGS price guide is so high . : )

4. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

It is only used by them to charge you. If you read the fine print on their actual guarantee if they over grade and need to pay you money they say they only use dealer wholesale numbers i.e. We win both ways sucker

5. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Please make sure to post pictures when it comes back. I am very curious to see how they do. I have VERY carefully cleaned a coin that I sold many moons ago that ended up getting graded by the new owner and was not labelled "Details". I really want to see if the end product they produce is worth the charge they assess.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It looks to me like they will kick it back to you without any work done on it.

BadThad likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They might. But what makes you think that?

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would leave the coin alone. It looks quite attractive the way it is, and even though professionals are doing the conservation, it is still dipping. You have no idea how it will look. I'd go with original on this coin.

BadThad likes this.
  9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

If it's a circulated coin that has signs of the greasy crud that collects in and around the details, I would acetone it.

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well, I happen to like the coin as it is, but here's hoping they clean it up for you, grade it MS63 and you make a nice bundle of money. :)

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

They will not "dip" the coin and remove any toning....at least they didn't on my coins. From what I understand, they try to leave the coin in the most original state as possible. If conservation affects this then they will not touch the coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I had a client ask me to send a similar coin in for conservation, though it was a Morgan dollar, and the coin was returned without any work performed because they thout it wound negatively affect the eye appeal.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Exactly what I was thinking, the risk/reward is simply not there for a coin like this. Personally, if it bothered me, I'd sell it and buy another. I seriously doubt they will even attempt to conserve it...but I've been wrong before.

ldhair and Morgandude11 like this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Ok. Just found out that it was accepted, conserved, & re-graded MS62. I won't know what it looks like until they ship it back to me. I should have it Monday and I will post some new pics & some before/after pics.

I think I helped my case for acceptance by writing on the form "Brown spots obverse and reverse." That way, they would know I wasn't looking to have all the toning stripped off, plus I hoped that would make them look for longer than 2 seconds before declining to conserve it.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    RubenRybnik, non_cents and geekpryde like this.
  15. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

This will be interesting...

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

PCGS was so proud of their work that they sent me the "after" pic. What do you think?
    28501754_large.jpg

micbraun and Dougmeister like this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Obverse before: DSCN6472.JPG
    Obervse after: 1obv.jpg
    Reverse before: DSCN6479.JPG
    Reverse after: 2rev.jpg

mlov43 and Collect89 like this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Total cost including shipping and all the fees was about $140.

19. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

So I guess the restoration fee was something like $67? Plus $25, plus shipping, plus regular grading fees, what did you pay, $130-$150?

I think it was worth it. The coin has a lot more eye appeal to me at least.

RubenRybnik, mlov43 and C-B-D like this.
  20. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think it turned out great.

Draft saved Draft deleted