selling

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Apr 18, 2014.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I am thinking of selling a lot of my u.s. mint products to buy certified coinage.. is this a good idea??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You didn't specify the types of Mint products you have, but be aware that many of them will probably sell for less than you paid. How do you plan to dispose of them? eBay? B/S/T forums? Dealers? What sort of certified coins do you want to buy? Without knowing the details of these issues, there is no way anyone can give you a reasonable answer.

Chris

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think that really depends on your reason for wanting to sell and what certified coinage you are planning to buy. If you reason is financial, and you want to switch from US moderns in OGP to US moderns in TPG plastic, I think you are better with the US Mint products. If you are completely switching to classic coinage, then I do think it is a good idea. That said, collecting certified coinage has its pitfalls as well.

medoraman likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree, too little information to give good, concrete advice.

One thing I will say. Its a HOBBY man. Whateevr you choose to do, it should be because it increases your enjoyment. That is always the real "bottom line" with this hobby.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

First, figure out what it is about the hobby that gives you the most pleasure. There are many different ways that people look at the hobby, not limited to:
    1. Admiration of the artistry;
    2. History of coinage or operations of the Mint;
    3. Obtaining a deep understanding of the minting process;
    4. Pursuit of a collection by date, type or other;
    5. Pursuit of coins as an investment.
    Then, choose your direction to amplify that enjoyment . . . as an example, if you are tiring of the designs on modern coins, and are drawn to the designs of older, or less available coinage, you might consider collecting a set of 19th century type coins, colonial coppers or, for those having deep pockets, delving headlong into the beautiful world of Pattern Coinage.

Combinations of the above motivations certainly apply to some of the above suggestions . . .

Collecting patterns links to 1, 2 & likely 5

Collecting type coins of the 19th Century links to 1, 2, 4 & possibly 5, but not necessarily

Collecting colonial coppers links to 1, 4 & possibly 5, but not necessarily

I think you get the idea . . . good luck in your pursuits.

7. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Whatever floats your boat man. We can't tell you how to collect your coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted