Roman coin?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Red Dolphin, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Red Dolphin

Red Dolphin New Member

Inherited my grandfather's coin collection, and one coin seems the most unique. Paper envelope says Roman coin, but two dates are listed, so maybe the envelope was re-used for a different coin. 200 BC versus 602-610 AD. 40 Nummia also written in same ink as 602-610 AD lettering. Pictures of coin faces and envelope attached. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

this coin appears to be from 300 AD reason I say this is the 3 X's on the reverse of the coin. In roman numerals X=10

Red Dolphin likes this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Its an Eastern Roman (Byzantine) coin of emperor Phocas, who ruled from 602 to 610 as it says on the flip. The XXX do not indicate the years AD (this was not in use in 600 AD much less 300 AD; people went by regnal years during this time), but rather the denomination, in this case 3o nummi. It was struck in Constantinople as indicated by the mintmark CONϵ on the reverse. Judging from the reverse I'd say it was overstruck on a previous coin.

texmech, TIF, NOS and 1 other person like this.
  5. Red Dolphin

Red Dolphin New Member

Awesome explanation, thanks!

6. josh's coins

I knew the 30 was for something. I do not know much about ancient coins. I learned something today :cat:

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its a more unusual type, since typically Byzantine coins had the denomination listed in Greek letters, like a M for forty, instead of using X's like Latins did. I am not saying this coin is rare, but its much more unusual because of the reverse than typical Byzantines.

8. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

so that would make it 30AD? which it isnt :)

9. josh's coins

yeah that would make more sense wouldn't it? sorry I posted that late last night.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its just a learning curve. If you are interested in ancients, I would highly recommend visiting Doug Smith's webpage and read all of his good information there regarding them. All coins have a learning curve, ancients just might be a little more steep than others.

Ardatirion likes this.
  11. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I cringed. Lol.

Come hang around the World & Ancient section! We're a pretty laid back group and you'll learn a lot. You'll probably even catch the ancient bug.

12. josh's coins

Perhaps I will.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While Focas issued the unusual 30 nummia denomination, I see the possibility that this is a forty XXXX with the first X lost to the multiple strike (most of these are overstruck or messy in some way. I believe I see year date II/II at reverse right so the coin would be 605 AD. Ignore the red lettering on the envelope. The black at the top was correct.

Red Dolphin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted