Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It will take experience but eventually you will be able to quickly scan the nickels by spreading them out and just glancing over them without having to tediously check each one. In time, you will be able to detect and immediately set aside your typical worn nickels from the 1970s onward based on the relief of the coins without even having to turn them over.

If you are interested in finding errors or die varieties this may not be the method for you but if you are simply looking for pre-1960 nickels or other coins of interest such as older Mint BU nickels from say the 1980s or foreign coins this is the way to go but it takes practice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sticktuna

sticktuna Member

Well just did another box of pennies. I don't know if its beginner luck but I got

14 wheats
    1 1904 Indian head, I can't believe it.

I was on phone with a detecting buddy and he was telling me that I'd never find anything good in circulated coins and while we were talking I started yelling I found the indian head penny.
    Pretty good for my second penny box ever!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

My first proof cent from crh[​IMG] Have found proofs of every other denominations until now. Complete set.

furryfrog02, spirityoda and Clutchy like this.
  5. bigstoff

bigstoff Active Member

best box or little monster box 2,90 % and a benny
    and one real smooth. I think its a 90% 2014-03-13 13.26.42.jpg 2014-03-13 13.34.21.jpg

6. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

1 question is there a quicker way to scan nickels? Obviously the buffalo would stand out but as for the pre-1960's? I went 1 by 1 looking at dates.[/quote]

Im looking to build a small conveyor belt system that dumps the coin on a glass plate, and having two usb microscopes. One above, one under. I never heard of anyone doing such a thing and I dont know if there will be a glare issue with the lights of the microscopes blasting each other.

sticktuna likes this.
  7. Clutchy

Thats something that is definately on my to-find list!

Agilmore01 likes this.
  8. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Finished my one box of pennies. For wheaties, I got : 28, 36 (x2), 42, 44 (x2), 53, 55, 56.
    Others: brilliant 63 & 70 D, 91 Proof, 1952 Canadian.[​IMG]

spirityoda likes this.
  9. sticktuna

sticktuna Member

I almost fell over, I finished a couple more boxes of dimes. I really haven't done anything special. But in one box I got

1 1964 silver rosevelt- looks so bright like the day it was made
    3 mercury dimes( 2 were in the same darn roll!!)1-'36, 2-'42

10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Picked up my new weekly order of 8 boxes of cents, 4 boxes of nickels, and 4 boxes of dimes...They only had 3 boxes of dimes but whatever.

I've only done the dimes so far.

Box 1: skunk
    Box 2: 64 Roosie and a 92 Panama
    Box 3: 48S Roosie ender on the first roll and then nothing after that.

On to the nickels.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

$265.00 in dimes. Skunk! UGH! WILL GET MORE tomorrow.

12. Clutchy

That has to be some type of world record. I've never seen ANY half dollar THAT smooth before lol

13. Clutchy

And I have a very accurate way of checking to see if it's 90% or 40%. Send me the coin. If it's 40%, I'll send you $2.86, if it's 90%, I'll send you back $6.71 . Guaranteed results. :rolleyes:

14. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

$5 cents- 94 copper
    $20 nickels- 6 pre-1960, 1 dateless buffalo
    $75 dollars- 07D x2, mckinley-P, greek 2002 50 euro cent
    $10 Brinks BWR halves - 4x 40% 1x 90% !
    $2 loose halves- another 2012D. (is this more common than other NIFCs? its the only date i ve found)

spirityoda likes this.
  15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Not really. You can often sniff out an old '40s nickel by its unique wear pattern, but I've found shiny '50s nickels that I would have missed if I hadn't looked at the date. If the reverse of the nickel has a P, S, or a D over Monticello, grab it because it's a war nickel.

Congrats on the buffalos. I've found 4 in the last year, 4 or 5 silver war nickels, and a V nickel (!) Nickels are fun to collect. They're cheap and it's easy to find pre-1960 examples.

16. sticktuna

sticktuna Member

Spot checked another nickel box for buffalo's= none
    But did spot a 1945 p war nickel, 1 st one for me

Do you guys pull all the pre 1960 nickels? Are war nickels the only silver ones?

I'm also getting a lot of Canadian coins and odd ball stuff, just got a 2011 20 pence piece in a nickel roll. Shouldn't the machines rolling these kick this stuff out?

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I forgot to mention getting a $25 box of pennies for my girlfriend Jenny to search thru. she said she was to tired from work to go thru them and that I could search thru them while she was sleeping. she also let me search because I found NO SILVER in 1 ($250 box of dimes) and (3)- $5.00 dollar rolls in dimes from another bank. anyhow here are the great results from her $25.00 box. 13-wheaties and 6-Canadian cents.
    dates:
    1935 early date:D
    1942-D
    1944-S
    1950-S
    1953 ? munched but very cool under my 10X loupe.
    1953-S
    1955-D
    1956-D
    1958-D
    Canadians:
    1962(2X)
    pics tomorrow on these. I hope the detail comes up on the 1953 ?? munched!!!
    I will search another $200 in dimes tomorrow. results later ;)

18. Clutchy

The rolling machines only detect by size, so if it's close, it gets rolled. I received a black dime in a brinks roll once.

spirityoda likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

black dime ? what was the date of it ?

20. Clutchy

I believe it's a issue with the copper bleeding through. I'm not sure which year because I have a few dimes and a quarter. But I'll check when I get home.

21. sticktuna

sticktuna Member

image.jpg image.jpg Anyone know what this is?

Got it in a penny roll yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted