Rising values of counterstamped coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BRandM, Sep 29, 2010.

1. thecoin

thecoin New Member

What is a Masonic 1958 D penny worth

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You see a lot of counterstamped Masonic coins on eBay, mostly Lincoln Cents, so they're very common and worth usually just a dollar or two. If it's unusual in anyway then a little more.

Bruce

4. thecoin

thecoin New Member

5. dgs1999

dgs1999 New Member

What does a counter stamp do to the value of a key coin type especially if the coin
    is in a moderately higher grade. What about this 1871 Indian Head cent:

Counter stamped coin.jpeg

6. BRandM

Key dates with counterstamps, especially initials-only stamps like yours, detract a lot from the value as collectors generally consider them damaged. However, if the stamp was well documented and highly sought after by counterstamp collectors it might retain a lot of its value or even in rare cases increase it. Generally though it detracts from the worth of the coin.

Bruce

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1834 O-107

[​IMG]

counterstamp?

8. Treashunt

More of a countermark:

1826 O0108

[​IMG]

9. Treashunt

10. Treashunt

Last one, for now:

[​IMG]

11. Treashunt

More of a love token:

O-102

[​IMG]

12. Treashunt

Last?

O-101

[​IMG]

13. BRandM

It is a counterstamp...very unusual style though Frank.

Bruce

14. Treashunt

Thanks, Bruce

Did you see the unusual style of the G H on the other one?

With the indents to either dies (left on the G right on the H).

15. BRandM

Yes, I did Frank and I meant to comment on that. While I've seen the "RLM" style a few times, I've never, ever seen anything like the unusual "GH" look. Nice...very nice.

BTW, what can you make out on the engraved 1807? I see "Liberty"(?) and a small Masonic compass and square at 4:00 o'clock but can't make out anything else. Do you think it's a love token?

Bruce

16. Treashunt

Bruce:

Yes, I thought of it as a form of love token.
    There seems to be a 'J' in the left field.
    And an 'S' to the right with the masonic symbol.

Then there is a 'smirk' engraved into the mouth, plus a date 1817 on the bust.

Apparently either circulated or well worn as a pocket piece, sine the engravings are showing considerable wear.

Strangely, the reverse is perfect, no engravings at all.

17. Treashunt

Bruce:

also, strange that on the 1824 some of the letterings seem to be inverted/reversed.

18. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

We just picked up this undated capped bust cent counterstamped "I.S." Sellers pics, excited to get the coin in hand!
    cslarge.JPG

BRandM likes this.
  19. BRandM

Brunk lists this one in his book as S-41 jester just in case you don't have access to a copy. They're not attributed to anyone yet but he feels it may be a silversmith's hallmark. It looks a bit big to me for that purpose but he may be right. Who ever issued it, it's very old. As of now only five examples are known, three on Large Cents (1794, 1803, unknown date) one on an 1813 Half Dollar, and another on a 1799 Silver Dollar. Yours may be the one he lists as "unknown date" or it may be a sixth example. In any case, it's a nice classic early American counterstamp.
    BTW jester, when you get the coin in-hand could you look at the mark above the counterstamp for any kind of design. It may be that someone just tried to hole the coin, but it could also be a small punch of some sort. Just curious. Thanks for posting it.

Bruce

jester3681 likes this.
  20. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Bruce - some great information there, I really appreciate it. I don't have access to Brunk's book, so this really gives me a lot to work with. I'll take a closer look at the upper mark when the coin comes, and share any results.

21. BRandM

Thanks jester, I appreciate it.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted