Replace the paper dollar with coin article

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by texmech, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ctrl

ctrl Member

1900 votes on one article most likely read by people with a previously-held strong opinion does not mean much. It also doesn't mean they actually would.

As much economic sense as it makes, practicality gets in the way. (I do support the $1 coin)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I rarely have more cash than about 4 bux, I don't like coins in my pockets for all the previously stated reasons.
    So, without the dollar bill, I wouldn't have anything in my pocket for little things like a quick drink at the C-store when I am thirsty or such. Who wants a person in line in front of them paying for a 79c soda with a credit card?

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sounds like without the dollar bill you would have two two dollar bills. By your 79 cent drink and get back two dimes, a cent, and a dollar coin. When you buy your next one give them the dollar coin.

5. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

The whole thing is ridicurous, The dollar coins are already made ( over a billion of them), so you already made the decision to eliminate paper dollars at that point....unless maybe you are the gov't !

Can't have both, you can't really have both half dimes and nickels, or two different 3 cent coins and fractional currency 3 cent notes.

One form for the dollar is needed, since the coin is made, use it, people will adapt to it.

I might carry more one dollar bills than I would coins at times, 20 of them is no burden, they are more convenient for most, but I also support their elimination.

I'd never carry more than 4 of the coins at a time, but bills can pile up a bit more.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

A dollar bill weighs 1 gram while a dollar coin weighs 8.1 grams. On the same note, a quarer weighs 5.6 grams and a cent weighs 2.5 grams. Together, both coins weigh as much as a dollar coin with only 1/4 of the purchasing power (1.00 to .26) yet, folks aren't complaining about the quarter.

Whatever. It's a good economic move that I hope will get passed. Of course it'll get poo-poo'ed but then doesn't everything get poo-poo'ed these days?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Get rid of all paper money denominations $1-$10 and replace them with coins, and who says that they have to be large and heavy. Why not make them from aluminum?

For decades, the government caved in to the automakers who opposed making fuel-efficient cars as early as the 70's despite having the technology, and look where that has gotten us! Our economy will continue it's downward slide as long as it is fueled by greed.

Chris

8. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Just a note, My local Federal Credit Union knows I collect coins and paper so one of the tellers asked if I want some Ike dollars, I pulled 2 out of my pocket and said like these? Then I asked how many? She said 30, so I bought them. She was happy to have them off of her hands. If I didn't take them I probably would loose out in getting any other kind of stuff. Now I have to get rid of 30 IKE'S. They are harder to walk around with them in my pockets. I vote for paper but keep the coins.

9. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

y

Spend the Ikes...it is GREAT fun. I spent some at Taco Bell and the place exploded. ("What are these?" "Can I buy those from you?")
    They also sell on ebay for a small premium....

Though I like dollar bills and collect star notes and the like....I'm all for saving money and doing away with them. It just makes too much sense.

10. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

These dead prez dollars are like buying a classic car ( say a GTO or something), getting the engine perfect, and the interior, doing all the body work and painting it primer gray.....then never bothering to paint it ( or even drive it) and just park it in a garage for a few decades and pay storage fees for it.

When you are this close you have to finish the job !

Draft saved Draft deleted