Pretend You've been Teleported Back To 1930.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Augustine1992, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Two of you have stumbled on the same thing I thought of. For the most part today's paper money would not be passable in 1930. About the only thing you might be able to pass easily would be the one dollar bills since their design hasn't really changed much since 1929. You might still have it looked at closely though since it is a novelty having just recently been changed from the horseblanket sized notes.

With that in mind, I only have five dollars I might be able to pass. So do I try for nickels or cents. Where I live S mint coins are very unlikely. I'd probably have my best chance finding something nice in the cents than in the nickels.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

I think I will wait to after Christmas to look into my wallet.

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I have $12 in my wallet. I would go to the bank, and open an account with $12. Then maybe 80 years of interest would allow me to have more then $12 in my wallet.

5. mgk920

mgk920 Nonhyphenated-American

Don't forget, too, that in the 81 years between then and now, the USA has added nearly two full zeroes to the Dollar (using the price of gold as the constant, remember that the USA was still on the gold standard in 1930), so having even ONE $1 banknote in the wallet then was to be carrying REAL money around - daily commerce was almost entirely done using coins. So thus, the $140 in my wallet right now would be, assuming that the notes would be converted to equivalent face value 1930 notes, like me carrying over $10K in my wallet (or more likely an inside coat pocket) today.

Anyways, I would say "Screw the small change, give me seven Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles!".

:yes:

Mike

6. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Why bring my own money, I'd go rob some banks with Bonnie and Clyde :smile JK

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I have 165.00 in my wallet. I'd get 100.00 in silver dollars, 40.00 in half dollar rolls, 5.00 in cents, and 20.00 in dimes.

With all that, I probably would have some really nice coins today!

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I'd take my $200 I have grab all the cents I could wrap my fingers around and search them, put the ones I don't want back, and repeat until I am satisfied, then do the same thing for those '16-D mercury dimes. Then I will grab as many WL halves I could get with what is left over.

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

First off...the scenario doesn't say if we get teleported back when we're done...or who, in 1930, is even gonna accept our 2011 zinc & clad crap!

However, if I could go back with some of my PMs (and a way to get back to 2011), I would be a "Roll Search'n Son of a Gun". I would be sitting out front of the bank...right between the guy with the tin cup and the guy selling apples...search'n my rolls. :fish:

10. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

No bills in my wallet, but a pocket full of Roosevelt dimes, Kennedy halves, and state quarters.

Now does anybody have any more money in their wallet to bail me out of jail for passing counterfeit money.

11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

[​IMG]

I was thinking of John Delorean and the fact that he went bankrupt.:eek:

12. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

I think Dr. Who may have something to say about all this ....... !!

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

...who?

14. andyscouse

Exactly!

15. andyscouse

But seriously, I'd take my $6, visit the UK (seeing as I'm from there), exchange to £ and then buy the newly-minted 1930 halfcrowns (rarest of that denomination since 1905). At $4=£1 at the time, I'd be able to get 12 such halfcrowns (8 to £1).

Huzzah!

16. Augustine1992

Augustine1992 Member

wow, I havent been on CT in a few days. Our money would automatically change to the type they used in 1930.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Let's see, 1930? My dad was 15 and my mom was 9. If that were the case, then I wouldn't exist because I wasn't born until 1947.

Chris

18. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I'd be trying to hook-up with May West.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think Mae West was over rated.

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

W.C. Fields might disagree...

[​IMG]

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To the contrary. They hated each other's guts.

If I could teleport myself back in time, I might try to intercept most specimens of some not-particularly-uncommon coin just to watch it become a "great rarity", then dump it on the market at some point in the future to watch its "investors" panic.

Maybe I'll try it with the 1904-O Morgans. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted