post2 - Help w/ Ancient Islamic (?) coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by coin0709, Mar 22, 2014.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Hi again,
    I'd really appreciate some direction with these 2 ancient/medieval Islamic (?) coins. They are the diameter of a US dime. I do have Krause Manuals for the 1600's-2000's, but think these might be earlier. Thanks in advance of any advice.
    Coin3 - pictures 1 and 2
    Coin4 - pictures 3 and 4

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

A medieval Islamic jital. Not in Krause. I will look it up later if no one chimes in.

jello likes this.
  4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The first one is a Bull and horseman Jital of the Delhi Rajas (Chauhans of Ajmer & Delhi)
    This is from the pre-islamic period. Your horseman is upsied down. Left from the horse rider there are two characters "Sri Ma" Right of the rider there's "Da". This means that this is a Jital of Madana Palla Deva, from around 1150 AD.

The second one is a billon Dugani (=2 Gani) of the Delhi Khaljis in the name of Ala Al-Din Muhammad. In the edge inscription one can read this is from AH700 (1301AD)

5. THCoins

Just forgot to write that the bottom two are upside down also.
    On the side with the double circle there are two words in Arab in the centre. It is very usefull if you can recognize these, even if you are not a oriental collector. The upper one is "Shah" the lower one "Muhammad".

6. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thank you so much THCoins! Are these common varieties? Also would you mind commenting on my other post, posted just prior to this one? Cheers!

7. THCoins

The upper one is not so common, but also not really scarce. Valuewise 10-15 Dollar region.
    The second one is very common. In retail one might charge you 10 Dollars for it, visible year is a small premium. In bulk i never payed more than two.

The Sultans of Delhi are already above the upper limit of my era of expertise. Your other coins are still younger. But will look again and see what i can say.

8. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks again for your time. Really appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted