Post Your Counterstamps

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaparthy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I searched back through the topics for "Counterstamp" and read the most recent threads through. Basically, coins were counterstamped for many reasons, perhaps the least common motive being to guarantee them - though the Bank of England did counterstamp Spanish silver dollars in large numbers. Most of these remain anonymous today. However, Q. David Bowers has published on some that are known, such as his book The Waterford Water Cure.

These are my counterstamps:

Essiquibo Stiver CS.jpg
    Essequebo & Demerray. 1813
    Guyana (ceded 1814) KM 5.
    Stiver (token) 1813. (34 mm)
    20 = 1 guilder = 4 bits. 215,000 struck.

US 50 cent CS.jpg
    USA 50 cents 1945=P. Ligature HC counterstamped on obverse.

France 10 cent CS.jpg
    France 10 centimes. 1856. Counterstamp serif M obverse.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

only got 1
    1974.jpg

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

5. Rick Stachowski

Nice coin ken, I'll photo my tomorrow, I found it rolls hunting some yrs ago,

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Gable 1.JPG Hoff - Hunt.JPG Louis Marten 1.JPG The "Bible" and only comprehensive guide on counterstamps is Greg Brunk's "Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins" published in 2003. He has most of the manuscript for a second edition nearing completion but it probably won't be published for a year or so. He presently lists nearly 15,000 world counterstamps, but the new book will have many more. It's a great reference for counterstamps and is full of useful information for those who have an interest.

Here are a few of mine.
    Bruce

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. Treashunt

O-108

[​IMG]

Rick Stachowski and kaparthy like this.
  9. Treashunt

O-108

[​IMG]

Rick Stachowski and kaparthy like this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

11. BRandM

Unusual style of lettering Frank. I've only seen it a couple of times before.

Bruce

12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This countermark was once thought to be the head of Apollo, but current scholarship assigns it to Cleopatra VII. The evidence seems to fit quite well: similar countermarks are found on coins of Antioch, Chalkis, Seleukia, and Laodicea, and they all occur on types minted during the time Marc Antony was liberally granting those regions to his paramour. It’s one of the few countermarks that can be assigned to a particular historical event in the ancient world with any amount of confidence.

Antioch ad Orontes, Semi-Autonomous
    AE23, 10.77g, 12h, Denomination A; Antioch, after 47 BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right; countermark of Cleopatra
    Rev.: ‭[‬A]NTIOΣEΩN‭ [‬ME]TPOΠOΛ[EΩΣ‭]; Zeus seated left, holding Nike and scepter, thunderbolt above
    ‭Reference: Butcher 20, SNG Cop 80

[​IMG]

Rick Stachowski and BRandM like this.
  13. BRandM

Now there's some great history John. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to research ancient countermarks. It's difficult enough to trace the ones I collect and most of those are only a couple hundred years old. I have a lot of fun doing it though and learn a lot about history in the process. Thanks for posting.

Bruce

14. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Here are some modern counterstamps that I do, and put back into the coin stream. Have had only one person getting the change at the store notice them. And her grandchild collects funny money! her term damaged and errors, and funny looking, you would call it here errors. Which I told her is the name for them he is under ten so I give her one each time I'm in the store.
    [​IMG]
    Some thing for future generations of collectors to ponder!;):confused::eek::Do_O:rolleyes:

15. Rick Stachowski

maybe, I sold one that had the state of ohio, and a champagne glass on it to, it was a 1973 lincoln cent

Circus likes this.
  16. BRandM

BR&M 5.JPG I like the idea of putting these back in circulation Circus. I do the same once in awhile with my personal stamps. I have four different ones I had made years ago. Here's one that I almost always stamp on state quarters.

Bruce

Circus and Rick Stachowski like this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

KIMB- Counterstamp.jpg
    Here is a stamp on a 1798 US cent. It looks like "?KIMB".

18. Buckrogers

Buckrogers Member

Draft saved Draft deleted